Hpi Bullet mt 3.0 need help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpibullet

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello i recently bought a hpi bullet mt 3.0. First off i already had to send the engine back after i broke in the engine, because the pressure pin off the connecting rod was not pressing hard enough against the starter plate hole it needs to stay in. so basically i would pull the pull start and it was not conected to the crankshaft. so i was happy to get a brand new engine last week from hpi. now here is what i need help with. the engine is running great :) BUT the instruction manual tells me not to turn the high speed needle more than 3/4 of a turn. The manual states, find a needle setting between 1/4 and 3/4 a turn clock wise (leaner) that gives good throttle response and top speed. My problem is at the max: 3/4 of a turn my truck is very sulgish and has a horrible top speed. my low speed needle is fine i know that for a fact. with the high speed needle at 3/4 not only is it slow but the temp is at 140F witch is too cool. The manual says it should run at 230F. I have the needle at 1/2 turns from flush and get great proformance great top speed and the temp is at 180F with no body on and with the body on i get 210F so not bad at all considering they say 230F is normal. so my question is why does the manual say do not exceed 3/4 of a turn meanwhile i am at 1/2 turns in and it runs a little richer that they say is top proformance. i am scared of being over the recommended max setting leaner on the high speed needle. is it a mistake in my manual or am i wrong. thank you for your help and tell me what you think.

As long as you run the right temps and get good throttle response and the truck is running fine, i would set it where you want, different elevation and weather makes a huge difference in running a nitro engine, if your running 210-230 and your happy with it, i would leave it alone,not ever engine requires the same carb settings.

Hello i recently bought a hpi bullet mt 3.0. First off i already had to send the engine back after i broke in the engine, because the pressure pin off the connecting rod was not pressing hard enough against the starter plate hole it needs to stay in. so basically i would pull the pull start and it was not conected to the crankshaft. so i was happy to get a brand new engine last week from hpi. now here is what i need help with. the engine is running great :) BUT the instruction manual tells me not to turn the high speed needle more than 3/4 of a turn. The manual states, find a needle setting between 1/4 and 3/4 a turn clock wise (leaner) that gives good throttle response and top speed. My problem is at the max: 3/4 of a turn my truck is very sulgish and has a horrible top speed. my low speed needle is fine i know that for a fact. with the high speed needle at 3/4 not only is it slow but the temp is at 140F witch is too cool. The manual says it should run at 230F. I have the needle at 1/2 turns from flush and get great proformance great top speed and the temp is at 180F with no body on and with the body on i get 210F so not bad at all considering they say 230F is normal. so my question is why does the manual say do not exceed 3/4 of a turn meanwhile i am at 1/2 turns in and it runs a little richer that they say is top proformance. i am scared of being over the recommended max setting leaner on the high speed needle. is it a mistake in my manual or am i wrong. thank you for your help and tell me what you think.

I have a HPI Bullet & my RIG is @ HPI for repair I had all kinds of Servo Problems should get my RIG back from HPI in 2 more weeks

I have a HPI Bullet & my RIG is @ HPI for repair I had all kinds of Servo Problems should get my RIG back from HPI in 2 more weeks

I had bad luck with my bullet to. but hpi's great costumer support and dedication got me what i needed and i am very satisfied. they will be able to fix yours to trust me if i had to guess what is wrong with your electronics, because i read your thread about the servos spazing out if you turn the engine on, i would say its a bad ground wire. I love my bullet mt 3.0 and it is a monster hope you enjoy yours to and make sure you always use after run oil and make sure your engine is at bottom dead center after every run, by pulling the pull starter very slow till its easy to pull and you can move the fly wheel back and forth a little with your fingers. this will make your engine start easy and last longer.

I had a Nitrostar .15 in my MT2 and it said the same thing about 3/4 turn. I interpreted that as no larger than 3/4 turns at a time and not total. Following the manual for breakin is fine but tuning adjustments are going to vary depending on where you live. I bought a car from someone in TX and had to lean it 2 full turns to get it to even start in MA. Location has quite a bit to do with a tune

I'm one to start at a factory setting and then go from there. As long as I get the smoke and I'm under 250 by the end of the tank I'm good. My MGT 8.0 settings are way different than stock with my new exhaust on. I would just leave it knowing your truck is running good and you're happy with it.

thanks everyone you all helped me out.