How to solder battery leads

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some 6 CNHL lipos without leads how do I solder leads on? Any special way to do it or just same as normal soldering?
An exact how to kinda depends on what connectors you're using but it is just normal soldering.

giphy (3).gif

In line bullets?

I prefer to make the leads as short as possible so it's impossible to reverse the polarity on the battery like the following example, if you look carefully you might notice the negative lead was splice soldered to extend farther across the battery and that's because I changed brands of battery which reversed their orientation of the polarity:

1678748190905.png

An exact how to kinda depends on what connectors you're using but it is just normal soldering.
Ok, I was thinking T-plugs since all my other battery’s are T-plugs and I’d change the Esc connector too
In line bullets?

I prefer to make the leads as short as possible so it's impossible to reverse the polarity on the battery like the following example, if you look carefully you might notice the negative lead was splice soldered to extend farther across the battery and that's because I changed brands of battery which reversed their orientation of the polarity:

View attachment 161787
No they are these battery’s https://chinahobbyline.com/products...battery-soft-pack?_pos=1&_sid=80899790b&_ss=r
Yeah. That’s the biggest worry about it, should I see if the LCH can do it?

8 gauge wire on a 2S pack? Holy crap 🤯. I don't know that I've seen anybody put 10 guage wires, let alone 8 guage, on a Deans plug o_O. I'd say you are definitely gonna need lots of heat & flux to accomplish this soldering job. You want to pay attention to where the guy, in the following video, places his wires...
The guy in the video shows male/female connectors together while soldering. Doing Deans T-Plugs, this is a "must do" step to help dissipate the heat faster so you don't melt the T-Plug housing. Did he say that in the video? I don't know. I was listening at very low volume.

Last edited:
8 gauge wire on a 2S pack? Holy crap. I'd say you definitely want to pay attention to where the guy, in the following video, places his wires...
The guy in the video shows male/female connectors together while soldering. Doing Deans T-Plugs, this is a "must do" step to help dissipate the heat faster so you don't melt the T-Plug housing. Did he say that in the video? I don't know. I was listening at very low volume.
Ok thanks I will and will let you know if I burn the garage down or do it right (hopefully right 🤞)

Your batteries have leads, they just don't have connectors :)
A good soldering iron with a beefy tip is a must have (the tip acts as a "heat reservoir" so it doesn't cool down too fast when you apply solder).

I had never seen a "deans" connector before. Now that I have, I assure you that I will NEVER use those.

Yeah. That’s the biggest worry about it, should I see if the LCH can do it?
Sorry, I missed your question here. It's not hard to solder battery leads. Just be careful and not have both wires bare at any one time, because 💩 happens. Solder one and heat shrink it or install in connector before moving to the next one. Easy peasy.

Sorry, I missed your question here. It's not hard to solder battery leads. Just be careful and not have both wires bare at any one time, because 💩 happens. Solder one and heat shrink it or install in connector before moving to the next one. Easy peasy.
Luckily it already has heat shrink on it

Luckily it already has heat shrink on it
Yeah, but you will need to remove that one wire at a time and re-shrink it when don, depending on which connectors you go with.

Whatever connector you use, make sure you get Amass brand. The cheap Chinese brands are absolute garbage.

Yeah, but you will need to remove that one wire at a time and re-shrink it when don, depending on which connectors you go with.

Whatever connector you use, make sure you get Amass brand. The cheap Chinese brands are absolute garbage.
Yes, I was extremely surprised that one of these cheap 4 packs dean to traxxas connectors on amazon $10 had the actual TRX connectors

8 gauge wire on a 2S pack? Holy crap 🤯. I don't know that I've seen anybody put 10 guage wires, let alone 8 guage, on a Deans plug o_O. I'd say you are definitely gonna need lots of heat & flux to accomplish this soldering job. You want to pay attention to where the guy, in the following video, places his wires...
10AWG on a Deans is easy mode as long as you have a good 60W soldering station and a nice wide tip. No flux needed although it never hurts. 8AWG is a bit harder but doable. You need a 6.5mm T19-D65 Hakko tip (thats what I use) on a quality 60W station @750-780F to do 8AWG.

10AWG
20230314_185324.jpg

@Addict Rc I've got a section in the video on how to solder Deans connectors. Those CNHL Parallel packs are really good packs. Theyre actually meant for drag racing which is why they have 8AWG on them.

10AWG on a Deans is easy mode as long as you have a good 60W soldering station and a nice wide tip. No flux needed although it never hurts. 8AWG is a bit harder but doable. You need a 6.5mm T19-D65 Hakko tip (thats what I use) on a quality 60W station @750-780F to do 8AWG.

10AWG
View attachment 161830

@Addict Rc I've got a section in the video on how to solder Deans connectors. Those CNHL Parallel packs are really good packs. Theyre actually meant for drag racing which is why they have 8AWG on them.
Ok thanks, I will watch the video, also they are going to be used for speedrunning sometime this spring, (I’m going to use a Surprass hobby 6s system and use 3 of these CNHL packs will use them for crawling for the time being

Ok thanks, I will watch the video, also they are going to be used for speedrunning sometime this spring, (I’m going to use a Surprass hobby 6s system and use 3 of these CNHL packs will use them for crawling for the time being
If you're going to use them for speedruns Id put an oversized connector like an EC8 or XT120 for less resistance. Youd have to make adapters for them to run them in your crawler but that wont hurt anything since crawlers are low power applications anyway.

If you're going to use them for speedruns Id put an oversized connector like an EC8 or XT120 for less resistance. Youd have to make adapters for them to run them in your crawler but that wont hurt anything since crawlers are low power applications anyway.
Ok, I will look into the connectors and soldering iron and hopefully do it this weekend

Putting a connector on a battery is not very hard, make sure you only have one lead exposed at a time. If both positive and negative are exposed they can short and that gets exciting.

Also DO NOT CUT BOTH LEADs AT ONCE. If you cut through both leads at the same time you will be connecting them via your cutting tool.

There are a bunch of YT videos out there that show how to change/solder battery connectors.

I posted in your other thread about soldering irons/stations. Bottom line is get a good one. You spend $500 on your car and another $200 on batteries, chargers, etc. Don't cheap out on the tools. Good tools save time and money, cheap tools leads broken parts and frustration.