How often do you rebuild your cars?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
How often do you rebuild your cars? Racers and bashers. Just want to see. On the B74 I have 4 runs on the car (2 on clay, 2 on carpet) and I am rebuilding the shocks. I'm just cleaning them up and putting in fresh oil. And tuning. I am applying the carpet setup to the dirt car so I am putting 50wt in the front and 35wt in the rear (all Associated/Factory Team oil) For my bashers I rebuild the shocks and all when I feel like it it needs it. Back in January, I did a full rebuild on the slash and rustler.

When I did a full rebuild I put all the parts in water for 10 minutes and took them out and dried them off. Is a cleaner like simply green better for cleaning up cars?

How often do you rebuild your cars? Racers and bashers. Just want to see. On the B74 I have 4 runs on the car (2 on clay, 2 on carpet) and I am rebuilding the shocks. I'm just cleaning them up and putting in fresh oil. And tuning. I am applying the carpet setup to the dirt car so I am putting 50wt in the front and 35wt in the rear (all Associated/Factory Team oil) For my bashers I rebuild the shocks and all when I feel like it it needs it. Back in January, I did a full rebuild on the slash and rustler.

When I did a full rebuild I put all the parts in water for 10 minutes and took them out and dried them off. Is a cleaner like simply green better for cleaning up cars?
I almost never do any maintenance unless something is wrong with the car or I want to do some changes. If something breaks or shocks lick out than I do the repair/ maintenance. It is good from time to time just to visually check all components, like lose screws, cracked plastic, excessive play.

In terms of cleaning, on race kits I use compressed air. For bashers i completely sprinkle them with simple green, then I go over with a brush or toothbrush for smaller parts and wash In a kitchen sink. Next step is optional, I don't recommend is to put them in an oven for 5 minutes on the lowest temperature that is 170f in my case, just to drie off quicker (this is bad advice), and than sprinkle with wd40 and leave overnight. Next day car will look like new

IMG_20230101_120241262_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20221210-224958.png

Screenshot_20221210-224941.png

Screenshot_20221210-225033.png

I almost never do any maintenance unless something is wrong with the car or I want to do some changes. If something breaks or shocks lick out than I do the repair/ maintenance. It is good from time to time just to visually check all components, like lose screws, cracked plastic, excessive play.

In terms of cleaning, on race kits I use compressed air. For bashers i completely sprinkle them with simple green, then I go over with a brush or toothbrush for smaller parts and wash In a kitchen sink. Next step is optional, I don't recommend is to put them in an oven for 5 minutes on the lowest temperature that is 170f in my case, just to drie off quicker (this is bad advice), and than sprinkle with wd40 and leave overnight. Next day car will look like new

View attachment 161483

View attachment 161484

View attachment 161485

View attachment 161486
Yea. After a day at the carpet track I got all those carpet strings around the driveshafts. On clay the car really doesn't get dirty.
The carpet is the grey EOS carpet. If it was black crc then the carpet strings would be a big problem as the grey eos.

Back when I was younger and had more time than money i tore everything completely down, checked, and rebuilt everything after every couple of outings or everytime something broke and had to be replaced. Now a days I barely get time to play with them let alone the time and the energy to do complete tear down and rebuilds.

Adulting-is-pain-meme-Entity.jpg

Last edited:
Yea, adulting limits my play time, which in turn limits my need to rebuild. I do all my "rebuilds" (diff oil, shocks, bearings, etc) in the winter.

Otherwise, I only fix what gets broken.

After every bash (on road, grass, ramping, on my dirt track) I'll give it a good look over for loose screws and broken pieces. If they start runnin' funny, I may check diffs and shocks. I use a small air compressor (pic below) to blow out the dirt and leaves along with shakin' the crap outta it.

I'll use water and/or Simple Green to wipe it down, but never to "brand new looking" status under the lid as why....it's just gonna get dirty again. 😜 🤷‍♂️ I buy tons of tooth brushes from the dollar store and some stiffer brushes to scrub caked dirt off.

I always wipe down the shells, just to keep 'em pretty to look at as it only takes a minute to do. 😁

When changing out diff oil, I'll soak all the inards in brake cleaner 1st. Gets all the old oil off and makes em like new. :thumbs-up:

If I raced competitively, I would def do maintenance more often.
20230308_103026.jpg

I use a small air compressor (pic below) to blow out the dirt and leaves along with shakin' the crap outta it.
Costco used to sell 6 packs of the little cans of compressed air. I used to use them every time after a bash. Now I can't find them anywhere. I have to get my uncle to come over to the house and get the air compressor in the shed running. But I think it's way too much power for the rcs. 150psi? I think it's 150. I can't remember.
Yea it might be too much power.
WLB3106016_11318_600.jpg

I just wait till they catch fire and usually just build another one save what parts I can 😳
Yea. Burnt up a trans case and shaft and slipper clutch. Saved the idler gear and diff tho.

Costco used to sell 6 packs of the little cans of compressed air. I used to use them every time after a bash. Now I can't find them anywhere. I have to get my uncle to come over to the house and get the air compressor in the shed running. But I think it's way too much power for the rcs. 150psi? I think it's 150. I can't remember.
View attachment 161491

Yea. Burnt up a trans case and shaft and slipper clutch. Saved the idler gear and diff tho.
You should be able to control the psi on nearly every compressors.

Air compressor regulator with water Separator I always keep mine at 120psi

I just knock all the loose dirt out of them and leave them be. But I'll probably end up rebuilding my Limitless after a few more speed runs just to keep everything clean and smooth so I can go faster with it.

View attachment 161491

The compressor usually has an adjustable pressure cutoff so it will only build a certain amount of pressure before shutting off. Easier thing is just to get an inline regulator like this Inline regulator that allows for a lot of pressure adjustment. My buddy runs his airbrush off a full sized compressor using a regulator. He can pretty much run the compressor up to full pressure, shut it off, and run his airbrush off it for hours without having to turn it back on.

As far as maintenance I tend to clean things when I get home and inspect for anything that looks cracked or sloppy. Unless I'm running in water I don't tear down as often as I used to.

I rebuild stuff when needed, When I ran my 4 wd 1/10 scale on carpet Id check shocks every race.untill you get shock oil right along with piston type.
rebuild only when needed, bearing every 5 race days

My Air Compressor is one of my favorite tools.
I am currently rigging one up for my travel trailer. It has to be light so I am skimping on a few parts.
PXL_20230308_230318794.jpg

Rebuild? For the speed runners, not as often as I should. I just keep an eye on everything. Usually running will tell me if something is amiss. Then I deal with it. Bashers? List an annual tear-down out of habit. Seldom do it.

Generally, the more often screws are run in and out and items are dis-assembled and re-assembled, the looser the chassis tends to become and the wider tolerances on parts become. I like a tight chassis and close tolerances, so won't do something unless I have to.

Caveat. My running is on-road and grass. Loose dirt and rugged terrain - esp. at speed - is a whole nuther muther. Yeah, there intensive maintenance, e.g., frequent rebuild, is necessary.

Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

How often do you rebuild your cars?
After every crash...DUH! 🤣

Seriously, only if it feels like something needs adjusting. Or if I have done something stupid.
I am also of the lazy tribe.

I don't thrash mine like a lot of folks though.

Let's put it this way.

I bought a Team Associated RC18T circa 2005.

I rebuilt it last week! :hehe:

To be fair, it did just sit on the shelf for awhile, but I just got into racing Mini B's and my little RC18T can race in the open SCT class, so raced it a few times and thought, good time to tear it down, re-grease the diff's, replace the shock oil (which there was none) and give it a good cleaning!