how loud is the 8th scale motor compared to 1/10 scale motor brushless wise

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitro2020

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how a brushless motor of 1/8 scale and a 10th scale sounds like. I want I was at a hobby shop 5 years ago and I heard something that was so loud. Loud vacuum cleaner and a world wind. It was some kind of car it look like it might have been a buggy I couldn't make it out. Not know it was Electric.

I'm just curious does 1/8 scale Motors sound extremely louder than a tenth scale as far as like a vacuum cleaner like a world wind?

I've been trying to figure out how a brushless motor of 1/8 scale and a 10th scale sounds like. I want I was at a hobby shop 5 years ago and I heard something that was so loud. Loud vacuum cleaner and a world wind. It was some kind of car it look like it might have been a buggy I couldn't make it out. Not know it was Electric.

I'm just curious does 1/8 scale Motors sound extremely louder than a tenth scale as far as like a vacuum cleaner like a world wind?
If you are talking electric, yes, the 1/8s are a little louder than the 1/10s. Mainly fans, but the esc is louder on start up too. Not as loud as a vacuum cleaner though.

I know some electric 1/8 have loud gear chatter. Maybe that in combination with the motor is what you heard?

Lower kv motors have more torque and usually have more of a whine to them.

I know some electric 1/8 have loud gear chatter. Maybe that in combination with the motor is what you heard?

Lower kv motors have more torque and usually have more of a whine to them.
I know one of those sounds you describe Chewbacca it's like whining I should say. I think the person that was driving it I think it was a buggy or some kind of car. But I was remembering getting fuel at that time and I kept hear something zipping back and forth, it was impressive even for electric

Last edited:
I don't find my 1/8th scale truck loud. Sure it makes a sound while driving, but I can drive this in areas where you are not allowed to make noise and no one moans about it.

My electric sounds like a church mouse compared to my nitro. 😂😂

Probably 40mm fans or very high rpm fans

1/8s will probably have louder gears and/or driveshafts than 1/10s. That's where most of the noise will come from. The motors themselves are relatively quiet.

I went from 1/10th electronics to 1/8th electronics in my stampede and it was marginally louder. Most of the noise comes from fans though. Could have been whatever you were hearing was using an aftermarket 40x40x40 fan that runs on 12V. Those things sound like vacuum cleaners. Super high pitched/loud whine.

Like these things:
https://www.amazon.com/Delta-FFB0412SHN-Server-Cooling-0-45A/dp/B07XD8F7HW

I had a power supply that I had built for me that had 2 dell power supplies wired in series. I think each PSU had 2 of those kinds of fans in it and unfortunately, with less than 3amps of load, they ran at 100%. They would only calm down when I was charging and pick up speed if the temp climbed, but when there was no load (like when it was finishing the charge or discharging at the end of the day), those fans ran at 100% the entire time. Sounded like 10 of my wifes hair dryers... my RC room is also my office... I sold that PSU after about 3 weeks and built my own out of HP psu's that had a better fan circuit in them, so they only get somewhat loud under heavy load. Even when I'm pulling 50 amps out of the PSU's, it's still not near what that first one was. lol!

Back