How do I buy tires/wheels for an old RC truck (Duratrax Evader EXT)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjenkins44

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I got this 2nd hand from a family member and the back tires are basically bald. These are the stock tires it came with. How do I know where to get replacement tires? And is it as easy as just unscrewing them and putting new ones on?

Also, is there a way to buy a new shell for truck? One I could maybe paint myself, or with different colors/design? How do I know if one will fit?

Here is some info I found about this truck:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/duratrax-evader-ext-st-rtr-electric-off-road-truck-dtxd29/p30524

IMG_20240522_211800016.jpg

You can probably find a number of ST body shells (Stadium Truck) that will work on it. You might have to mess with the body posts, or do some custom work.

The only real source for parts for vintage and discontinued RC's is ebay. There is a clear body shell on there right now for $60.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3754272616...NCCKxqlTp2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

There are also some parts on there. What I do with my vintage stuff is if I see a good deal on a roller (chassis with wheels and tires, minus electronics) or slider (same but no wheels or tires) on ebay, I snag it for spare parts.

Welcome to RCT!

the tires are 2.2" tires as said above you can get old tires off after cutting sidewalls carefully and removing foams.New tires will have new foams(most do)
body now any standard stadium truck body will not work. you will need an evader one.

Are those tires good for offroad?

Thanks for the response!
tires you posted looked like you ran on the street,

any 2.2" ST tire will work just search a tread pattern to your personal preference.

For grass/dirt, something like this would be fine in SLW compound:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/raw-sp...-2-super-soft-rws100409ssb/p1398094?v=1385425

*** SIDE NOTE***

The Evader was a clone of the TLR XXT truck so any parts for the XXT will be compatible, including aftermarket wheels/bodies, etc...
Duratrax reused the TLR molds from the same OEM but went with a lower quality plastic that was no where near as durable as the TLR plastic where folks quickly renamed the brand "Duratrash"

If your hexes are 12mm then any wheel that will fit a 4x4 1/10 Traxxas will fit your truck.

The controller is missing an antenna. How do I know the right size to order? I see many different sizes. I am assuming I need a male connector?

Thanks for all the responses.

I've used older Losi XXXT (right pic below) and Team Associated T4 (left pic below) 2.2" stadium truck pin driven rear wheels & 3/16x3/8" bearing front wheels on my Evader ST. The Associated T4 offset front wheels will widen the front a bit but isn't too noticeable.

Front Offset:
DTX Evader ST rims offset = 23.12
Losi XXXT front rims offset = 24.12
Associated T4 front rims offset = 15.91mm

Rear Offset:
DTX Evader ST wheel offset = 15.46mm
Losi XXXT wheel offset = 19.13mm
Associated T4 wheels offset = 15.94mm

Losi XXXT rear wheels will decrease total rear width of Evader ST by 3.67mm x 2 = 7.34mm
Associated rear wheels will decrease total rear width of Evader ST by .52mm x 2 = 1.04mm
102_9017.jpg
1716520000136.png

All that said, keep the Evader EXT running on a mild motor and you should be okay with the idler gear lasting... providing it's not already trashed. That middle tranny gear is the weakest part of the platform. Once it's gone, it's gone. Good luck finding another one. They do pop up on eBay, but you got to turn on search notifications or you'll miss out. Join a dedicated Evader FB group as that will be a godsend.

Good luck.

Sounds like I just need to buy a new truck with a remote and batteries. Just getting this thing up and running sounds like it's gonna cost more than it's worth. But thanks for all the responses.

Sounds like I just need to buy a new truck with a remote and batteries. Just getting this thing up and running sounds like it's gonna cost more than it's worth. But thanks for all the responses.

Super happy you figured this out on your own! I got tired of trying to tell people to stay away from garbage where Duratrax has been the least reliable brand I have ever owned.

Another brand I stay away from is Traxxas for reasons explained here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067295-Boycott-Traxxas

If I was going to buy a RTR for myself today I would go with ARRMA, TLR, Kyosho or Caster:

With a discontinued model like that I'd just lightly run it as it is with a FlySky GT3 and whatever electronics it has. Replacing the body and tires will add up quick for a model that won't make for a good regular runner, and hunting down old discontinued parts can be both very expensive and tiring.

If you like that Stadium Truck look HPI makes a "Jumpshot" ST. I'm iffy on 2wd Traxxas since they're very dated for what they cost.

Duralast was a poor mans way into hobby trucks. Yeah they worked but were not best quality. You should be able to find replacements on ebay. As far as electronics you should be able to find one ebay or update it if you feel like it.

Back