Hot bodies "hot rod pipe!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdogg1966

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi everyone, today my son and i got to take the new or uh, new to us anyway savage xl down to the field for a long test run, whoever had this rig last really did it right, the upgrades include a dynamite mach 28 that was put in a week before i bought it, a "hot bodies" HOT ROD TUNED pipe, a JR RACING XS3 CONTROLER, this truck is really nice and fast, but the pipe is noisy as _ _ _ _! I checked and it's been discontinued at tower, not that i could ever stand another one. I was wondering if anyone of you guys have ever tried this particular pipe and what was your opinion of it? the truck seems to make excellent power with it and it goes through all 3 gears and runs out super nice but the pipe is loud. i don't want to piss -off all my neighbors but i don't want to sacrifice any power either. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. kdogg:whhooo:

You could replace it with a losi HT pipe for the LST series. Can find them on ebay pretty cheap. You will have to finagle something to connect it to a "two piece" pipe setup. It uses an o-ring like the engine and 3 springs to keep the header connected to the pipe. However, a well placed ziptie will work with a typical header coupler.

Anyway, I bring that pipe up because the power output is pretty good with a variety of engines, but it's fairly quiet as far as BB pipes go.

This is mine with the HT pipe:
2010-0210-SavageExhaustSide.jpg

You can also get an exhaust deflector. That will take some of the bite out of the exhaust note. As an added plus, it also puts less oil on the rear right arm/tire.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD636&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL378&P=7

Last edited:
hey thanks for the input, i was given a bunch of parts with this truck, and among them is a "RIBBED PIPE", so i was wondering of the two, ( hot rod and ribbed) which is quieter? i don't want to sacrifice any power. but i'm worried my neighbors may form a "lynch mob".

Geez... don't even try the ribbed. I ran that thing once and my ears are still ringing! That pipe is silly loud!!

yes that's the one, its noisy but i wasn't sure if it was the less of two evils, between the ribbed and this one. i want something that gives good performance and not enough noise to "wake the dead". the truck has great power and i'm worried about having to sacrifice power if i change it. NEED ADVICE! kdogg

The losi pipe is a great in-between. Good power, low on noise. I've run it on the same engines I tried the ribbed pipe on and it's a night and day difference with power and noise. The ribbed pipe gives you decent low end torque, but dies off really quick and is just loud to be loud. The HT pipe really evens out the power through the RPM range.

Considering every losi engine it's put on (LST2/LSTXL) is a SH (dynamite) type engine, it should work for you too.

I've run it with two LRP28's, SH24.7, Losi M26 (aftershock engine) and seen it run on the losi gold head mach .26 as well. Ran really good on those too.

hey thanks i'll have my L.H.S. order one for me, i really liked the looks of the "hot rod" pipe but so far my neighbors have been relatively cool when i've ran the truck, plus i don't want to give RCers a bad name by not being respectful of others, but if ya don't have any neighbors around and you have one of these pipes lying around, i'd say run it because the mill seems to do great with it. thanks for the advice. kdogg

You can get them way cheaper on ebay.

Item: 140415088563
$28 shipped. Comes with spring, header you can't use, and a gasket. Vs $42 for just the pipe from horizon.

There's a bunch on ebay that aren't buy it now. I'd throw $20 on them until I won one of them. ;)

Feel free to send me the header pipe! lol

well, i guess i got lucky because a friend of mine had a HOT BODIES "PLOISHED PIPE" left over from another forgotten project of his so he sold it to me still new in the package for $20.00. I think i'll change it and keep the "HOT ROD" pipe as a spare. thanks for all the great advice. kdogg

Back