My 1/8 nitro Hot Bodies Truggy build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

76Vandura4x4

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Going to start a thread to keep track of my first build after almost a decade of not having any RC cars. I bought this chassis for $60, came with a completely smoked HPI 4.6 so I decided to get a Dynamite Big Red .28 for some added hp. Just got my Dynamite mid range pipe in the mail, and waiting on my fancy Big Red adjustable clutch from my local hobby shop. Anyone here ever put this engine in their HPI or HB truggy? I’m sure I’ll have many questions along the way while I figure out the little nuances of making this mix of parts work together.

First question, what aftermarket parts are still out there for these? I do understand that many are discontinued, mine is the pro HB version with the beefed up suspension, but sometimes cool shiny stuff is cool to have just because. Who out here runs one of these rigs, and any suggestions on mods?

Second question, I have the HPI body though I prefer the Hot Bodies style one, aside from the owner before me doing an awful paint job. I like the old school stadium truck look, though I’m open to other cool 1/8 truck bodies. Anyone know where to get 1/8 scale body shells that look like the stadium trucks of the good ol’ days?

Third question, what flywheels have people used with this engine? I have the stock one but would like to have all new parts while I’m in there.

Attachments

• 72CDCE68-C0E2-460E-A3E1-0F3631C972C5.jpeg
    72CDCE68-C0E2-460E-A3E1-0F3631C972C5.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 238
  • A609D5D6-68D7-4A8E-85B1-460DBB4BFD4D.jpeg
    A609D5D6-68D7-4A8E-85B1-460DBB4BFD4D.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 71
I am needing one rear Universal axel. I have a Lightning GTX. Needs all 4 corners and a lightning sp2 needs tires

Good deal $60 plus what $100 or so for a new motor that chassis sliding or rolling probably could go for $150
Motor was $160, they’ve gone up in price from what they used to be back in the day. It needs some love but everything is there. I could have probably bought a new HPI truggy for what I’ll have in it but I wanted to build one my way, plus the hot bodies version with billet suspension bits seem to be hard to find in this day and age.
I am needing one rear Universal axel. I have a Lightning GTX. Needs all 4 corners and a lightning sp2 needs tires
You can still find axles online just gotta do a little searching, the nitro and electric versions both use the same ones

Motor was $160, they’ve gone up in price from what they used to be back in the day. It needs some love but everything is there. I could have probably bought a new HPI truggy for what I’ll have in it but I wanted to build one my way, plus the hot bodies version with billet suspension bits seem to be hard to find in this day and age.

You can still find axles online just gotta do a little searching, the nitro and electric versions both use the same ones
46.99. ouch

Made a slight amount of progress and test fitted my engine mounts and mounting plates to fit the big red. It’s a bit beefier on the very sides of the crank case and had to grind the insides where the mounts bolt up to the engine down a bit, and the purple mounting plates needed a notch put on either side of of the back end to gain the ability of full side to side adjustment and clear the mounting flange for the pull start. They also had to be spaced up with washers to clear the ribs and gussets on the bottom of the crank case, this will be all cleaned up and made pretty when finished. Hopefully this helps anyone swapping in a big red whether it’s a hot bodies or HPI like mine or any other brand in general.
0DF4CBA7-5B83-4D3A-8D8A-45C22597E25D.jpeg
B7D26FA8-0D84-48A2-966B-E26557B860BF.jpeg
4C9B6A99-4D8D-4054-90DA-1BD23AB440C4.jpeg

Last edited:
that dynamite platinum is my top 3 favorite of all

that dynamite platinum is my top 3 favorite of all
Never owned a rig with any dynamite equipment, I’ve heard only good things, hopefully in combination with my 15t dynamite clutch I ordered and the mid range pipe it has some good top end. Hoping for around 50mph but we’ll see, and that having a bit taller gearing and the 4wd helps keep wheelies under control but still able to get those wheels off the ground when wanted

Going to start a thread to keep track of my first build after almost a decade of not having any RC cars. I bought this chassis for $60, came with a completely smoked HPI 4.6 so I decided to get a Dynamite Big Red .28 for some added hp. Just got my Dynamite mid range pipe in the mail, and waiting on my fancy Big Red adjustable clutch from my local hobby shop. Anyone here ever put this engine in their HPI or HB truggy? I’m sure I’ll have many questions along the way while I figure out the little nuances of making this mix of parts work together.

First question, what aftermarket parts are still out there for these? I do understand that many are discontinued, mine is the pro HB version with the beefed up suspension, but sometimes cool shiny stuff is cool to have just because. Who out here runs one of these rigs, and any suggestions on mods?

Second question, I have the HPI body though I prefer the Hot Bodies style one, aside from the owner before me doing an awful paint job. I like the old school stadium truck look, though I’m open to other cool 1/8 truck bodies. Anyone know where to get 1/8 scale body shells that look like the stadium trucks of the good ol’ days?

Third question, what flywheels have people used with this engine? I have the stock one but would like to have all new parts while I’m in there.
I have 2 of these trucks with all original equipment on it I'm going to be selling both if anyone is interested