Homemade Wheely King Chassis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMaxxin

SLAP YA MAMA
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This is what happens when you read all of those do it yourself posts. I'll start off saying I don't have the right tools to get a nice clean look so I went with chopped up, ugly but it is functional. It's a copy of the stock chassis with the lower section chopped off. The total hight is 1 3/4 lower and it gained 1 full inch of ground clearance. This one will be trial and error, the next one will be aluminum and the cuts will be cleaner...I hope. I used a plastic cutting board, dremel with cut off wheel, hand drill, and knife that was almost sharp and came out with this.

nchsi2.gif

nchsi.gif

I think that's EXCELLENT! I would also thing that Lexan or Vinyl sheet would be almost bulletproof.
You just might have something there, and I'll certainly put some thought into scratch building a rock crawler. I have all the machines I need for working with it.
Thanks for the great idea!

Thanks Rolex. IMO anyone that enjoys tinkering with an rc would really enjoy building a crawler, the only limitations are your imagination! Theres nothing like seeing something you made come to life. I'm still trying to get it dialed in but I really like it so far.

I just noticed the title, it should say "Homemade Wheely King Chassis" I guess I got lazy LOL

Last edited:
Back in the 80s when Tamiya electrics were the only game in town, I scratch built a 2' long dragster using a solid rear from a Grasshopper and PVC sheet siliconed onto a styrofoam core. Soldered tubing for the front end with wheels from a model car, and complete with tall rear wing. It was a real beauty and balanced to raise the nose. Drew a crowd every time out.
Finally it was badly wrecked, and I never had even one photo of it.

That sounds like a sweet ride, would have loved to see it.

Working out the design and building it was the real joy. I know how you felt when it came to life. What type of sheet did you use for the TVPs, and how thick is it?
(I corrected your title)

I used a plastic cutting board, $6.00 at Wal-Mart. It is 1/4 inch thick, I would have liked it a little thinner but that all I could find. This one is for trial and error, you can see a few holes that aren't needed and I need to do a little more trimming on the chassis.

i think it looks great. how does it handle compared to the stock layout. Did you notice a gain in 1 area or just more overall?

Nice ride M71ForLife, I like the cut G Hawgs.

Last edited:
Nice ride M71ForLife, I like the cut G Hawgs.

Not mine, thats a guys on NERCC.

I have a SW3 WK, and a one of 3 clod stick proto's.

I personally would have made the rig's side plates out of alumium, and use the cutting board for the tran's bottom.

I personally would have made the rig's side plates out of alumium, and use the cutting board for the tran's bottom.

did you even read smaxxin's posts? he stated in there a few times that the cutting board was used as a prototype to get the cuts and holes right and he would redo them in aluminum once he got it all worked out.

then you post up a picture of what I'm assuming you think is "the best". Best is a personal preference, yea that truck looks wicked but its not even worth bringing up in smaxxins post. He modded his wheely king, that truck looks like a full custom build.. apples to oranges man..

whats the point besides making the great work that smaxxin did, look pail in comparison to the custom rig?

honestly m715, you my friend, are an a$$hole. Your not making a very good first (or second, or third) impression on this forum. [/rant]

personally i think its bad ass you can make stuff like that smaxxin. i can't wait till i have to room to work on my rigs again.. The cutting board was a good idea, easy(er) to work with but still ridged enough to get true end results. once you get the plates cut in aluminum you could cut up the boards and make skids. that derlin is some slick stuff.

Last edited:
It's OK guys, I was a little upset when I first read it but I consulted with the old one and decided to just leave it alone. I did think it was funny that when he wanted to show me what he thought I should build he posted a pic of someone else's rig instead of his own.

I might as well do an update on the chassis. I have the aluminum to redo the chassis but the cutting board works so well that I'm not sure if I really want to change it. If I do go aluminum it would be for looks. For anyone that wants to make a cheap chassis the cutting board is a nice option IMO....Very strong, easy to work with, and slides over just about anything.

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, this truck is DIALED. I couldn't believe the way that the setup was handling stuff I threw at it with ease. The balance is simply amazing, and when running it you would think that you're driving a $1000 crawler. He brought this to my house, and a week later I was building one. Simply amazing, and it's set up MUCH better than my purpose built rock crawler as of now. This cat knows his RC's, as well as his crawlers.

Back