Help with ESC and Battery Use

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericke1

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Many years ago I visited Hong Kong RC heaven and pickup this great ESC called Hobbywing XeRun150A and a Hobbywing 2250KV motor for a Team C 1/8 on road. HK RC shops are so cheap compared to here so I was tempted and enjoyed running the vehicle.

Here is the link for the specs of both

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-xerun-150a-sd.html

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...nsored-brushless-esc-blue-hwa81020190/p391500

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-xerun-sl-4168-2250kv-blue-motor.html

When I bought from the RC shop they said to use 2s batteries and if my cantonese google dictionary was correct not to use 3s batteries. The car has two batteries running together, I used two 2s 7200 75c packs. I want to run 2 3s 5000 lips. Can this ESC take it? I read it as yes but I'm not sure if they are talking about one battery or two at the same time. Can I try it-wont catch fire or anything right? PLEASE HELP

Looks like it can handles 6S. Doesn't matter how many "packs" you use to get to 6S as long as you don't go over 6 cells in series (1 6S lipo pack, a 4S and 2S pack, 5S and 1S pack, 2 3S packs...), you should be fine. When running multiple packs in series or parallel, it's best to use the same C rating and capacity, or you will run into issues with the weaker of the 2 packs.

These are the only lipo's I have:
http://www.smc-racing.net/

I only run 2S though. I have
4 of their 9000mah 2S packs - these were the first ones I bought back in December.
2 of the 9500mah 2S - just got these a couple weeks ago
4 of the 7200mah 2S - have had 2 of these for 4 months, got 2 more a couple weeks ago.

I run the 7200's in my stampede 4x4 vxl and converted ejato, the 9000 and 9500's in my brushless revo. The revo takes 2 packs in series (4S). The stampede/jato just run a single pack on 2S. So far, they seem to work as advertised as far as capacity and current output.

If you're running multiple lipos you have to use the same number of cells or the smaller battery will get damaged. so if your trying for 6S you either need one 6S pack or two 3S packs. I learned that lesson the hard way. o_O

If you're running multiple lipos you have to use the same number of cells or the smaller battery will get damaged. so if your trying for 6S you either need one 6S pack or two 3S packs. I learned that lesson the hard way. o_O
I don't think that's true if your running them in series. Only if your running them in parallel. Many guys run a 3S and 2S pack in their brushless revos to have a happy middle ground between 4S and 6S, so they end up with 5S.

IDK, I did it twice with a 4s 5000mah pack and a 2s 5000mah (same manufacturer) pack in my e-LST2 and both times my 2s pack was drained significantly more than the 4s pack and both 2S packs puffed and were pretty much unusable afterward. After that I just invested in 6S packs. So I'm only speaking from my limited experience with them but both times I had the same result.

Were they the same age? I could see if one was older (more cycles) than the other, then it wouldn't be able to keep up with current delivery. Otherwise, all a 4S pack is is 2 2S packs wired in series. I guess it could also be two different types of cells internally causing a difference. I was only posting what I read many do on the traxxas forums in the brushless revos.

Me on the other hand, I run the same 2 packs together all the time. Even though I have 4 of the same brand, mah, cell count, amperage pack, I have them labeled and I run the same pairs together always just to hopefully avoid any "wear" issues.

I guess it would also matter the type of pack. To have higher capacity, some packs run cells parallel as well. So, it could be a 4 cell pack, but two cells parallel wired in series to end up with a "2S" output voltage pack. I think that would be considered 2S2P or some such. Combining a pack like that with a 2S1P pack could run into issues.

I guess it would also matter the type of pack. To have higher capacity, some packs run cells parallel as well. So, it could be a 4 cell pack, but two cells parallel wired in series to end up with a "2S" output voltage pack. I think that would be considered 2S2P or some such. Combining a pack like that with a 2S1P pack could run into issues.
All 4 of my lipos were the same. I had 2x 4S 5000mah packs and 2x 2S 5000mah packs. all brand new, bought together at the same time.

The thing that strikes me odd about the brushless revo thing you mentioned is (to my knowledge) the revos battery compartments can only hold a 2 or 3S packs, right? So IDK how REVO guys would be running different size batteries anyway unless they are running a 2 and a 3S together for a total of 5S? most of the time I'm assuming they are eiher running 2x 2S packs or 2x 3S packs.

Yeah, they usually run 2x2S, 2x3S. Some run a 2S and 3S so they have more power and speed than 4S, but not so much as to tear up the driveline as bad as 6S.

I just stick with 4S and I'm pretty happy. I'm almost thinking I might try using my lighter packs. The thing lands so hard and feels so heavy with the 9000mah 2S packs in it... I've thought about trying my 7200mah packs in it, just to see how it handled.

If I ever get my savage converted... then I can dedicate the larger packs to it and buy a few more of the 7200's for the ERBE. May get less run time, but with less weight to lug around... at the very least, it won't land as hard.

Back