Guys I need your thoughts!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWOCANE

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I am getting rid of the Maxx , I want a good 1/8th scale. I have the choice of a mammoth that has upgraded the shock towers, center diff brace, upper arms to the new mammoth st ones and has been anodized green it will need:
21+ engine
2 channel radio
2 servos to be rtr. But the guy said I can keep my servos and radio.
The other is a LST2 that I dont much but it is lst2 roller. has a wing kit, sway bars, 17mm hub conversion and a bunch of extra parts, That I will be seeing some pics of this afternoon.
Now, I want a project but I want a good truck to build on what do you guys thing a LST2 or a Mammoth or I could get a savage .25 for 150.00 but I just dont no so thats why I was looking to you guys. Thanks, Wayne And Happpy Thanksgiving.

Personally I would be all over that Savage .25 for $150! I love Savages, parts are everywhere, they are tough as hell, and there is a ton of aftermarket options for them. My vote goes to the Savage.

Yhea I have liked the savage also. Is the .25 good also?

I'd go for the Savage also, $150 is a pretty smoking deal assuming its in good condition.

The .25 tends to run on the hotter side but it's a pretty durable engine.

Update, the Savage is gone what a pisser. I just got off the phone with the guy and he had 5 of them hopped up a bit on some of them and he sold them all for 800 bucks. So it is looking like the LST and the Mammoth now. What do you guys think on those? Its kin of hard till I get more info on the LST2.

Personally, I can't believe how many times you've bought and sold the same type of truck...

At any rate, I'd go with the LST.

It is a good rig to learn on since you have to replace things. But now I want a truck to keep for a good while and so that is my story and I am sticking to it :) But we are still buds even though, Lessen?

Yhea, I am a bit weird. Blond, Polish and hit on the head alot :) thats my reasoning for it.

I would get the LST. They are very durable rigs that can handle a lot of abuse and have a good rep. Plus they are pretty easy to work on. The mammoth I have herd that they have a week chassis and diffs i think. My vote's for the LST.

Unless the only two choices were mammoth and t-maxx 2.5... I'd probably still choose the t-maxx.

The mammoth is very weak. The diffs are garbage and if you run a two speed, expect to frequently replace diffs, unless you upgrade the diffs to spider gear diffs vs planetary gears. The two speed spurs strip if you look at them funny. The hinge pin braces require a much better replacement (which isn't cheap, Dadders I think makes them out of 7075 for $70-80). All the alloy on that thing bends like integy.

All that said, it's a very simple rig and easy to work on, but rest assured, you will work on it frequently. It would be fun for a track with low jumps, but big air is not it's friend. Even though the length/size of it just begs to be launched off stuff, it can't take it. I tried and it let me know by making me work on it after every run.

With LST2, savage and mammoth on the ticket, I'd be torn between the LST2 and savage.

The old savage (25 and earlier) was short, boxy, handled like a brick, but could take an immeasurable amount of abuse and keep coming back for more (as long as the diffs are done well). IMO, it's HPI's version of the traxxas rustler, the other well known abuse friendly brick handling rig.

The LST* is a much more refined rig and is a good compromise between a truggy and monster truck. It doesn't handle like it's on rails (like a buggy), but it also doesn't constantly fight you in the corners (like the savage). If set up properly, it can also take a large amount of abuse. The diffs are done pretty well out of the box, the trans is pretty much bulletproof (especially if you dump the high/low and reverse for an FOC). It's only real downfalls are the lack of a belly pan to keep from breaking the chassis rails on big air and the steering setup that requires you to use servo mounted savers.

Both the LST* and savage are great project trucks, but IMO, the LST* is the better of the two with a few upgrades for durability.

All that said and I currently have a heavily modified aftershock and a HB lengthened chassis savage (with a new set of XL diffs, alloy case halves and XL brakes). Both can take serious punishment day after day with minimal maintenance, but the aftershock definitely handles much better.

Sorry... got all wordy on you.

Yhea, I am a bit weird. Blond, Polish and hit on the head alot :) thats my reasoning for it.

lmao man.

i too say savage. and for the .25 being durable mines seen 20 gallons easy and still runs good, not like a new one but not dead yet either. its never been pinched or rebuilt and when it does die its gone but i can't say anything bad about it at all.

I say Savage, just because thats the only truck i bashed and raced...

He did this today, dadders diff housing conversion. and rear drive shaft with the savage "joint" as in the internet article i sent you a link to here is a article that i was going to build this truck to.
http://www.racernine.com/outlaw.html
And he is doing most all of it , says it should be a hard as nails rig and those weak spots are gone. He has sent me a bunch of pics I have to get them so I can show them to you guys.

I'd still go with the LST. A more versatile rig with much more after market support if the mood strikes you to upgrade or install bling.

The two speed is still weak and if you run single speed, you will soon realize that it takes a lot of engine to pull tall gearing since it's so large of a truck. But without pulling tall gearing, it will seem slow.

If you want a truggy pick up a Jammin, forget the Mammoth.
if you want a monster get the LST. The LST will be cheaper to maintain in the long run vs. a truggy. For bashing nothing beats a good old monster truck.

Um, i may not be one too give too much advice, but my .25 is new and hell rich and it still goes really hard

Back