Granite MEGA

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay now I’m LiPo mode on full charge I get maybe 2 minutes on a fully charged battery before the red light is flashing. Is my ESC done or it needs a fan? I can seem to run a LiPo battery very long even in LiPo mode starting with a fully charged battery that’s maybe 4 months old. Any suggestions?

Okay now I’m LiPo mode on full charge I get maybe 2 minutes on a fully charged battery before the red light is flashing. Is my ESC done or it needs a fan? I can seem to run a LiPo battery very long even in LiPo mode starting with a fully charged battery that’s maybe 4 months old. Any suggestions?
I would go through the ESC programming options and set them all. Your LVC (low voltage cut off) may be set to high. If its set to something like 3.7v/c then lower it down to 3.2v/c see if you get more run time. Also look up what the blinking light means in the ESCs manual. find out if you're hitting LVC or if you're hitting a thermal cut off. Never hurts to have a fan on your esc.

I would go through the ESC programming options and set them all. Your LVC (low voltage cut off) may be set to high. If its set to something like 3.7v/c then lower it down to 3.2v/c see if you get more run time. Also look up what the blinking light means in the ESCs manual. find out if you're hitting LVC or if you're hitting a thermal cut off. Never hurts to have a fan on your esc.
I checked the manual and other than those two jumpers I don’t see any other programming methods. Am I missing something? Even in LiPo mode this thing is shutting off after 3 or 4 min. What’s the CH2 receiver plug do? Also with the jumper switches should I have reverse on or off?

I checked the manual and other than those two jumpers I don’t see any other programming methods. Am I missing something? Even in LiPo mode this thing is shutting off after 3 or 4 min. What’s the CH2 receiver plug do? Also with the jumper switches should I have reverse on or off?
If you want to be able to go in reverse then you want it on. If you dont care about backing up then you can turn it off.

Channel 2 is generally where the ESC plugs in to control throttle/brake/reverse. Channel 1 is for the steering servo(s).

What is the cell count, mAh rating, and C rating of the lipo you are using?

I bought 2 of these:

82D7472D-5096-4321-A264-7B19CBDF7503.png

Are you using a balance charger?

I wonder if maybe you've damaged the ESC running lipos under NiMh mode.

Thats a solid line of thought. Didnt the OP say he was getting a warranty replacement or am I thinking of a different thread?

I am definitely using a balance charger.
Thats what I was thinking. I did buy this RC car used. (maybe it was damaged when I got it?) I didnt catch it at first and did run it a time or two on NiMh mode with LiPo's

Thats a solid line of thought. Didnt the OP say he was getting a warranty replacement or am I thinking of a different thread?
hmm that wasn't me :).

I am reading maybe the 0.8 mod would help? Or replace the ESC with another stock one? or buy a brushless motor? or do all 3?

Or rip everything out and buy a ESC/Motor combo that isnt Aarma brand? not sure if thats an option. This is my first hobby type RC car.

I also bought a new Traxxas Stampede brushless that I played with 3 or 4 times and now the battery will not charge anymore. Traxxas charger just flashes. Its like the charger doesn't see any voltage at all to start giving it a charge. I think thats kinda bad cause I only played with it 3 or 4 times. Wonder if the charge on the LiPo battery is so depleted the charger will not charge it.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

I am definitely using a balance charger.
Thats what I was thinking. I did buy this RC car used. (maybe it was damaged when I got it?) I didnt catch it at first and did run it a time or two on NiMh mode with LiPo's

hmm that wasn't me :).

I am reading maybe the 0.8 mod would help? Or replace the ESC with another stock one? or buy a brushless motor? or do all 3?

Or rip everything out and buy a ESC/Motor combo that isnt Aarma brand? not sure if thats an option. This is my first hobby type RC car.

I also bought a new Traxxas Stampede brushless that I played with 3 or 4 times and now the battery will not charge anymore. Traxxas charger just flashes. Its like the charger doesn't see any voltage at all to start giving it a charge. I think thats kinda bad cause I only played with it 3 or 4 times. Wonder if the charge on the LiPo battery is so depleted the charger will not charge it.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.
Are you using the same lipos in the Pede as you are in the MEGA? If so you probably damaged the batteries when you ran them in NiMH mode on the ESC because there would not be any low voltage cut off in NiMH mode. Are the batteries puffy at all or are they still solid and flat? If you're using the same lipo in both kits then the batteries would almost have to be the problem I would think. i dont suppose your charger can read IR levels can it?

What is the .8 mod?

I’m not using the same batteries in the stampede as the granite mega 550. I read there was a 0.8 mod that will help with gearing and might help with the over heating issue. Maybe I’m mistaken?

I’m not using the same batteries in the stampede as the granite mega 550. I read there was a 0.8 mod that will help with gearing and might help with the over heating issue. Maybe I’m mistaken?
Changing the pitch of the gearing wont change anything. Changing the ratio will but not the pitch.

Ahhh so the 0.8 mod won’t help? Maybe I should change the ratio?

Should I replace the ESC with another stock one? or buy a brushless motor? or do all 3?

Or rip everything out and buy a ESC/Motor combo that isnt Aarma brand? not sure if thats an option.

Ahhh so the 0.8 mod won’t help? Maybe I should change the ratio?

Should I replace the ESC with another stock one? or buy a brushless motor? or do all 3?

Or rip everything out and buy a ESC/Motor combo that isnt Aarma brand? not sure if thats an option.
You can pull everything out and go with a different esc/motor combo if you wanted to but I willwarn you if you go from brushed to brushless there will probably be other upgrades you'll have to do to the kits driveline in order to stand up to the extra power from the brushless setup. That being said you can worry about those if/when things break. I have no idea what the issue is with that kit at this point so I can't make any predictions as to whether or not it will fix you issue. I wanna say more than likely but I just dont know for sure. This issue is probably why the last owner was selling it.

You can also try just replacing the ESC with any brushed esc and see if it is the ESC but if you're gonna go brushless eventually anyway then might as well go for that.

As for using mod .8 gearing... If you have, and I'm just gonna pull this number out of the air, a 2 to 1 gear ratio it doesn't matter if you're using mod 1, mod .8 mod .6, 48P, or 32P gearing if your still maintaining a 2 to 1 ratio.

Back