Granite MEGA

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! I will google how to step pinion down 2 or 3 teeth unless there is a good write up somewhere?

Thanks guys! I will google how to step pinion down 2 or 3 teeth unless there is a good write up somewhere?
First thing you'll need to do is google your kit and try to find the "gear pitch". Its either going to be a "Module" like Mod1 Mod .6 or it will be a "pitch" like 48P or 32P. Something like that. Once you know the gear pitch of your kit then you can buy a new pinion gear that has 2 or 3 less teeth on it than the one you have now. I usually go down by 2 teeth at a time until it runs like I want it to.

First thing you'll need to do is google your kit and try to find the "gear pitch". Its either going to be a "Module" like Mod1 Mod .6 or it will be a "pitch" like 48P or 32P. Something like that. Once you know the gear pitch of your kit then you can buy a new pinion gear that has 2 or 3 less teeth on it than the one you have now. I usually go down by 2 teeth at a time until it runs like I want it to.
arrma Mega trucks are 0.8M, but have ran 32P (are 48P!! sorry BLX is 32P/0.8M) without issues for some time.
only issue is that the motor mount has fixed mounting points, and the smallest pinion slots are 14T which is what it comes with stock. you can elongate the holes to make it fit a 13T though, but there isnt a lot of meat there to be able to remove without getting pretty close to the other pre-drilled holes.
i do not know for sure if there was an adjustable motor mount for the mega 4x4.

Last edited:
arrma Mega trucks are 0.8M, but have ran 32P without issues for some time.
only issue is that the motor mount has fixed mounting points, and the smallest pinion slots are 14T which is what it comes with stock. you can elongate the holes to make it fit a 13T though, but there isnt a lot of meat there to be able to remove without getting pretty close to the other pre-drilled holes.
i do not know for sure if there was an adjustable motor mount for the mega 4x4.
i take the last part of that back, it looks like the most recent versions used a sliding motor mount****

If you run into a situation where you can't go any smaller on the pinion you can also go with a big spur gear for the same effect.

arrma Mega trucks are 0.8M, but have ran 32P without issues for some time.
Actually only the BLX version of the Granite uses Mod.8 gears. The MEGA and the BLS use 48P.
Capture.JPG

It’s the ESC lead and it got super hot and I think damaged the wire. What’s the right way to repair? Tutorial online?

If the wire itself isnt damaged then just wrap it in some electrical tape. If the wire itself is damaged from over heating its hard to say without being able to see it.

Can anyone tell if I am on the "LiPo" setting?

the jumper closer to the edge of the ESC (pictured) is the battery type jumper, it looks to be set in the NiMh slot, NOT the LiPo, should be covering pins 1&2 not 2&3.

1623870353129.png

Okay now I recall why it was in NiMH mode in LiPo mode it only runs 10 seconds and stops. Could this be my battery is not charged? What’s the “reverse” function do on the ESC?

Now it’s got a blinking red light after 10 seconds in LiPo mode with reverse setting on.

Okay now I recall why it was in NiMH mode in LiPo mode it only runs 10 seconds and stops. Could this be my battery is not charged? What’s the “reverse” function do on the ESC?
Yes, the esc is going into low voltage cutoff mode, as soon as it does this turn the vehicle off. LIPO batteries are not supposed to be drained past 3.2v per cell. If they are it can start damaging the battery.

Back