Granite MEGA

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1QWK96GT

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have a Granite MEGA that came with NiMh batteries. I have LiPo's now. after 10 minutes of play time my ESC starts burning up. What kind of ESC can I run so that this does not happen when running LiPo batteries?

Any help is appreciated.

a lot more info is needed. what motor is in it?. battery cell count pinion /spur.so on

oops sorry. its a factory Arrma Granite. Let me check the motor.

Ok @Greywolf74 , I have a stupid question but honestly I can't remember how to post a link like you did using the word "THIS". Can you refresh my memory for me please..?

what Battery where you putting through it? the stock brushed setup in these can only handle up to 2S.
id recommend upgrading to a brushless combo, like the one that Greywolf posted, or a Hobbywing Max10SCT. upgrading to brushless though you will want to upgrade to teh BLX 3s slipper clutch and motor mount. the stock granite mega slipper will do "OK" but will quickly fail on 3s batteries or a high torque BL motor/ESC.

Ok @Greywolf74 , I have a stupid question but honestly I can't remember how to post a link like you did using the word "THIS". Can you refresh my memory for me please..?
Copy the link you want and then highlight the typed word you want it linked to, and then click the "insert Link" button at the top circled in red in the pic below. Paste the link in on the top line and click "insert". Viola!
Capture.JPG

I just looked up the actual ESC that comes in the Granite Mega and it is compatible with 2S LiPo so as long as you arent running a bigger LiPo than that you should be fine.

I would pick up a cheap temp gun from amazon and keep an eye on what the temps are actually doing. As long as theyre not getting above 150-160F then you should be good.

Sorry for the late response.
This is what I have:

Attachments

• D7807E86-B7CA-4293-B2CD-9D5696D030DE.jpeg
    D7807E86-B7CA-4293-B2CD-9D5696D030DE.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 55
I just looked up the actual ESC that comes in the Granite Mega and it is compatible with 2S LiPo so as long as you arent running a bigger LiPo than that you should be fine.

I would pick up a cheap temp gun from amazon and keep an eye on what the temps are actually doing. As long as theyre not getting above 150-160F then you should be good.
Thank you very much. For some reason when I run this RC car for more than 10 min it starts smoking and I smell burnt electrical.

I just checked my batteries I have 2s 5200 LiPo which isn’t what it came with.

I’m pretty sure the ESC is smoking or maybe wires running to it? It’s hard to tell when it happens but I can’t run more than 10 minutes at 100%

That system is supposed to be able to handle 2S so the battery is fine. What you need to do now if buy a temp gun and make sure your ESC isnt getting hotter than about 150-155F and make sure the motor isnt getting more than about 170-175F. If one of those 2 parts are getting that hot or hotter than that then you'll need to look at putting a slightly smaller pinion gear on the kit. I'm not sure if what your smelling is an actual problem or if its just the brushes in that motor getting hot.

That system is supposed to be able to handle 2S so the battery is fine. What you need to do now if buy a temp gun and make sure your ESC isnt getting hotter than about 150-155F and make sure the motor isnt getting more than about 170-175F. If one of those 2 parts are getting that hot or hotter than that then you'll need to look at putting a slightly smaller pinion gear on the kit. I'm not sure if what your smelling is an actual problem or if its just the brushes in that motor getting hot.
Thanks I got a temp gun I will check those two things and report back. This burning is definitely a problem somewhere it’s literally smoking and it’s hard to tell from where with the body on. I will try to run it with the body off to see what specifically is smoking/burning.

Upon further inspection it appears this wire is smoking/burning.

Attachments

• C01713C5-54AB-44AD-9AA3-F89F5505DB48.jpeg
    C01713C5-54AB-44AD-9AA3-F89F5505DB48.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 51
remove the bullets from esc to motor .. 10 minutes on a brushed can...pull motor take pic b4 label can solder wires back on reinstall

Upon further inspection it appears this wire is smoking/burning.
You probably just need some better connectors. That being said watch the temps on those 16AWG wires coming off the ESC too make sure the wire itself isnt getting to hot. You may need to step your pinion down 2 or 3 teeth.

Back