Getting back to running MGT 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
determined the shocks were rubbing the towers a hair when the upper shock bolt was tightened all the way, AND when the top bolt was tightened all the way would bind the shock cap not allowing it to rotate as it needed, not enough room to add washers to fix both issues, so i just left the upper bolt slightly loose to allow free motion, and loctited the hell out of it. sanded down a washer really thing to use as a spacer to distance the shocks from the tower, weirdly its only on one corner that they make any contact, can see where it had buffed the blue off on the other corners from dirt getting in there, but no contact otherwise. may try getting long M4 bolts to run through it? kind of a pain to find shoulder bolts with the threads like i need as that would be much preferred, threads rubbing aluminum is not a good time.

so tempted to find new shocks and kind of retire the Powerstrokes... but holy $%#% are they so nice and plush when allowed to work correctly.

Make shoulder bolts. Still not great to run steel against aluminum caps, but probably better than threads.

Just put a few nuts on a bolt, throw it in a drill and run a file on it/sand paper as the drill spins to lathe the nuts down to a shoulder size you want. I've done that for quite a few things.

Will have to try that! Miss having a lathe, and a mill... and a band saw.... and horizontal band saw lol was kind of spoiled there for a while

Yeah, never had that stuff. I was stoked when I got a bench vice and a mini sawsall!
lol, kinda where I'm at now, in the end I'm glad i don't have access to those tools as the person i was working for that gave me access was one thieving piece of trash to customers,
anyways. hoping to get a dremell that isnt falling apart, and i need a hack saw. made the diff brace like @cbaker65 did, used a file to cut through the aluminum, was to late to run to the store for a hack saw, and i needed the truck put back together.

found a nifty tool for finding parts on sites that no longer exist to get part numbers etc. tried using it for the MonsterGTForum and ultimate RC https://archive.org/web/ its called the "waybackmachine" just type in the URL and specify date and should take you there if there was a snapshot of the site on that date.
realizing how much regret i am having for taking a break, so much info lost on ultimate RC forums and on Monster GT forums. even with the site above, alot isnt accessible.

Yeah, that site works for some things when you know more specifics, like a part number or something. Never tried using it for forums though.

Well got a birthday present in today, I'm told more to come even!
20190418_181639.jpg

I took some time and installed them,
20190418_224315.jpg
20190418_224323.jpg

Really excited to try them out! Came with bushings so going to run them like this for a bit then get some bearings, going to swap servo horns between the MGTs as the other has a servo saver and this one does not. Would rather the servo saver on the one with aluminum.
It's funny they put ball bearing in the part name but came with bushings though.
can't wait to see what's in the mail next!

Well got a birthday present in today, I'm told more to come even!
View attachment 118642
I took some time and installed them,
View attachment 118643View attachment 118644
Really excited to try them out! Came with bushings so going to run them like this for a bit then get some bearings, going to swap servo horns between the MGTs as the other has a servo saver and this one does not. Would rather the servo saver on the one with aluminum.
It's funny they put ball bearing in the part name but came with bushings though.
can't wait to see what's in the mail next!
What BBs are you going to run with out of curiosity ? I used sealed ones on my little project but am interested to see what other people are using ?

What BBs are you going to run with out of curiosity ? I used sealed ones on my little project but am interested to see what other people are using ?
most likely shielded (non metal shielded) bearings, 99% chance going to get some fast eddy bearings. need to get some more diff bearings and wheel bearings too so can add them to the order. might just get a bunch of cheap ones for the wheels though as they get worn quick. plan on custom fabbing some hub carriers for it so i can run larger bearings. might just go the RPM Route, then mode them for 8mm axle. though i havent had any issues with axle size, just bearing size.

I also run fast eddy bearings on everything. Just got a $50 order to stock back up after going through one of my nitro revos and stampede 4x4. Had some axle bearings that were pretty sloppy.

I also run fast eddy bearings on everything. Just got a $50 order to stock back up after going through one of my nitro revos and stampede 4x4. Had some axle bearings that were pretty sloppy.
I have been quite pleased with their bearings so far, not surprised as I see people recommending them everywhere.

The original steering rack on the Mgt. were bushings ,but I had installed bearings on mine ,but I
can't remember what they were ,I had to shim mine though because of the thicker skid plate
that I made!

So got the rest of my birthday gifts in! They got me MIP rear CV output and the center CV shaft! Needing the center pin assembly but that's in the mail should be in Monday! First time getting brand new MIP stuff, probably going to order myself the front CV output and another shaft for the front as well. After going over the truck I noticed that a front tire outside bead is coming unglued so I'll have to reglue that.

So got the rest of my birthday gifts in! They got me MIP rear CV output and the center CV shaft! Needing the center pin assembly but that's in the mail should be in Monday! First time getting brand new MIP stuff, probably going to order myself the front CV output and another shaft for the front as well. After going over the truck I noticed that a front tire outside bead is coming unglued so I'll have to reglue that.

Some of the other trucks MIP pins & set screws may work or interchange with the Mgt.'s as well!

Some of the other trucks MIP pins & set screws may work or interchange with the Mgt.'s as well!
Yeah ordered a set of the ones they had labeled for 1/8 and MT tires, the pin dimensions seemed correct for the parts at hand so should be right

sadly the rebuild kit didnt come in Monday, should be today though! looking at the front center CVA from Mip, i dont think I'm going to go through with buying it. i like that it is steel not aluminum, but the rib the brake disc runs on is very thin, just seems to me the brake pad will try slipping off.
did run the truck yesterday though, the LHS messed up on their fuel order so all they have for the next few weeks is 30%. really didnt want to swap fuels but had already had brought it home before i realized it wasn't the standard they get.
tried getting it tuned the first tank but was either rich bogging or when running correctly the temps would climb higher than i feel comfortable, didnt even end up going through a full tank, so went and grabbed an A5 OS plug and threw it on there, oh my such a huge difference! ran so much better.
hoping to run again this week, seems like every time i try getting stuff together to go to my bash spot things come up! running it up and down the street is fun too though.

When I started running 25%, I found that medium plugs worked a lot better than the hot ones I usually ran. Never tried 30% though. Many times my LHS had 20 and 30 but not 25, so I'd buy both, then mix them 50% in spare empty jugs.

I only started using 25% because the manual for my first LRP said it was recommended. Then I tried it in my other engines and it ran fine, so I stopped running 20%.

When I started running 25%, I found that medium plugs worked a lot better than the hot ones I usually ran. Never tried 30% though. Many times my LHS had 20 and 30 but not 25, so I'd buy both, then mix them 50% in spare empty jugs.

I only started using 25% because the manual for my first LRP said it was recommended. Then I tried it in my other engines and it ran fine, so I stopped running 20%.
i have been tempted to try mixing fuels, only thing is i kept reading it is not recommended because the oil contents could be different between them. that and my LHS only stocks one type fuel. it was a different guy that ordered fuel this time and ordered the wrong stuff. after this going to stick with 20%. i can definitely feel increased power from the 30% but not enough where i want to rely on ordering online, and i try to support my LHS as much as possible. i almost want to try running it in my .21 engine, but i only have the single head shim on it as from factory and ordering another head shim would be a waste because i probably wont be getting 30% anymore.

Yeah, the 20% vs 30% is different oil content I believe, but never really caused issues. I don't mix brands, just nitro percentages. Been a couple years since I bought nitro... brushless kind of took over. I just opened a jug last weekend that's been on my shelf for about 2 years.

Back