Frustrated with the Losi 8IGHT RTR first run

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was my first chance to fiddle with the tuning since the last time out. I did adjust the high speed needle so it's running richer now. Video below shows a quick clip I took - wasn't able to open it up to full throttle (only have two hands and didn't want to risk it launching of the table), but off camera I did get it max a full throttle quite a few times without it dying. So, it now idles well (doesn't die anyhow), I can give it varying levels of throttle and it keeps running, there's a lot of smoke now, and it sounds epic at full throttle. Not sure the neighbors love the sound... but that's okay.

It was 72°F when I was outside, with barely a breeze. I used my heat gun to get the engine warmed up to 210°F before starting. At idle, the temps were between 170-180°F. After running with half or so throttle for a while, temps were in the 200-220°F. And after running at full throttle for 3-5 seconds, the temps were between 240-260°F. I didn't want to run it too long at full throttle since there wasn't any air moving through the heatsink.

Will see if I can get it out for another run to see how it does with this tuning. I assume I'll need to tweak it a bit to be optimal, but I'll be happy if I can simply get it to run reliably.

Cheers!

Here is my tuning video to you.

Everybody else they think it's a bathroom so I guess to everyone else here's my bathroom video.
Today was my first chance to fiddle with the tuning since the last time out. I did adjust the high speed needle so it's running richer now. Video below shows a quick clip I took - wasn't able to open it up to full throttle (only have two hands and didn't want to risk it launching of the table), but off camera I did get it max a full throttle quite a few times without it dying. So, it now idles well (doesn't die anyhow), I can give it varying levels of throttle and it keeps running, there's a lot of smoke now, and it sounds epic at full throttle. Not sure the neighbors love the sound... but that's okay.

It was 72°F when I was outside, with barely a breeze. I used my heat gun to get the engine warmed up to 210°F before starting. At idle, the temps were between 170-180°F. After running with half or so throttle for a while, temps were in the 200-220°F. And after running at full throttle for 3-5 seconds, the temps were between 240-260°F. I didn't want to run it too long at full throttle since there wasn't any air moving through the heatsink.

Will see if I can get it out for another run to see how it does with this tuning. I assume I'll need to tweak it a bit to be optimal, but I'll be happy if I can simply get it to run reliably.

Cheers!

Your low and on the other hand seems to be on the rich side because there's too much fuel loading up.

I saw big puffs of smoke coming out.

That can actually have an effect on how the engine runs as far as stall out problems, if your engine stalls a lot or if your engine flood a lot.

Barely rarely do I ever have a flooded engine, because if you're low speed is set right, then it wouldn't be easy for a lot of fuel to get in as much.

The only time you should see a puff of smoke is if you let the car sit for about let's say about 30 seconds or 20 seconds on idle.

But if it constantly produces that kind of puff of smoke, your low-speed needle might be just rich.

Last edited:
Got to admit ,your engine sounds good ,crisp & clean!..:thumbs-up:...:cool:
Thank you for the compliment, my whole intention was to help this guy because I understand where he's coming from. Because has a beginner 10 years ago but I couldn't find no information from nobody and was getting mixed information from people.

I understand his frustration.

And when I had help from you and some other dude. D3mon and combined studying online at the same time. Cuz you guys were only a few people that work patient. It wasn't perfect but it was good enough.

I said I always want to help people because listen we all here to have fun and it's not fun when a person doesn't know something and it's frustrated.

I know what that's like over a dozen times. Especially if you have people that won't be patient and won't have what's called Godly patient. One thing I learned from this Hobby. patience !

Cheers!

small follow up video!!