Friends, I need help! Bossman asking for an RC for his son

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimsonfancy

A guy that doesn't know when to give up.
Reaction score
Bossman asking for the best RC for his son that's probably 8 years old. His budget is under $75 ready to go with battery and charger. There are so many options but I need to give him some info as soon as possible....like tonight...lol. It's a late gift from his grandparents but I'm tasked with finding the best value.:rolleyes: Important that it's ready to run with battery and charger / no more to buy.
Please, friends. Help me deliver for his son and I will appreciate it!

I'm also planning to give him a JLToys truck I have to keep the boy and bossman happy....so they can run together.
He lives two homes down from me and I guess his son has seen me run my rigs up and down the street. Same thing happened with my quadcopters. This time, I'm lost and scared to suggest something that will break.
The kid is hard on his toys and fearless. lol.
Please help?
Thank you! (y)(y)(y):giggle:

Well, I gave my 3,5, and 7 year old kids some of the Latrax Tetons. They have been pretty resilient, but come in at just over 100 beans... I think 120?... But the only one that broke was the one that hit a truck tire wide open. Best suggestion I have.

I wouldn’t suggest anything with that budget. It’s a high risk of driving the young fella away from the hobby, due to breakage,wait time fixing it, and lack of performance.Tell the boss to save up and buy him a quality RC. However, I did buy my Son an ECX ruckus when he was 5, and he did enjoy it. Then I got him a Kraton on his 7th Birthday, and he loves it.

WLTOYS A959B is in your budget. I've never driven one.... The reviews are good.
I own one of those and the MT one. I'm giving him one of those too.
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I agree entirely. And they're very fast...the two I have.

I wouldn’t suggest anything with that budget. It’s a high risk of driving the young fella away from the hobby, due to breakage,wait time fixing it, and lack of performance.Tell the boss to save up and buy him a quality RC. However, I did buy my Son an ECX ruckus when he was 5, and he did enjoy it. Then I got him a Kraton on his 7th Birthday, and he loves it.
I understand and tough to work inside of that budget. I dont know if he's ready to see his son get on the mechanical side yet or not. I do figure that whatever I suggest, I'll be expected to repair or lose Bossman's new interest in my hobby. I like though when he knows that my hands can do more than what they *have to do.

WLTOYS A959B is in your budget. I've never driven one.... The reviews are good.
20180917_175639.jpg
jimbo2.jpg

Remo Hobby 1/16 Smaxx, Dingo or SCT not much available under $75 all included with access to parts that won't be shipped from China or their small scale.

Only thing in that price range that would be recommended is the wltoys you mentioned, and they have replacement parts and are pretty rugged,l but you know that already.

Only other decent option would be if he spent a little more and grabbed the Arrma granite Mega which is only $99 on Tower atm and comes with a wall charger/battery.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHBLB**&P=ML

Only thing in that price range that would be recommended is the wltoys you mentioned, and they have replacement parts and are pretty rugged,l but you know that already.

Only other decent option would be if he spent a little more and grabbed the Arrma granite Mega which is only $99 on Tower atm and comes with a wall charger/battery.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHBLB**&P=ML
Thank you. I sent him details and links for WLToys and ended with a strong sell on the Mega.

I have the wl toys 969 sc. look at the hs18311 looks just like the teton

Figured I'd update this thread because it made me very happy.

Bossman took our advice and spent the little bit extra. He had the Granite Voltage arrive yesterday and today his son (new owner) and daughter came over to my house to show me. They live a few doors down.
The kid had pulled his skateboard ramp out and was blastin his new truck all morning. Knocked off the antenna tube, jarred the ESC loose and lost all but one of his body clips. But, he was having a blast and really picked up driving faster than I thought possible.
I got him setup with a bunch of new body clips, charged up a couple gensacearespammers 5000mah 2s packs for him and pulled my ramps out so we could get a nice afternoon bash on. I loaned his sister my Slash and she had a big time too!
Another young one (and maybe two) in on the RC hobby and I'm crawling ebay right now to find him a cheap upgrade as a gift from me. I'll also loan him my Duratrax Pistols in case he feels like trying some new tires out. I have a charger that I don't use much and I'll show his dad how to safely charge and manage the Lipos to keep from me having to maintain his packs for him. While we were bashing, I told Jr. how important it is to care for the lipos and that his dad will have to be involved in setting up the charger outside..... I should probably give them a lipo bag I have too.
Anyway, finally I have somebody nearby that I can run with and today was one of the most fun in a long time for me! Nothing says job security like keeping bossman's kids happy and runnin strong and Arrma delivers again. lol ??✌?

James.  Betsy.  Voltage Granite.jpg