First time with an airbrush and it ain't pretty

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Here's some pics of my first body with an airbrush. I'm going to take this one as a learning experience and try to remember what not to do. If any of you ( and I'm sure there are many) thought the razorback body was ugly to begin with well I think I toppped it and made it even worse. Anyways next time I will remember to:

wash off marker lines before starting to paint so I know that I can tell where I'm painting
back it all in one color before sealing with faskoat.
burnish all the edges of masking tape with q tips before starting to paint.
use DA to clean all areas where masking tape was removed.
use q tips to remove paint that has bled.
trim and cut body before painting to avoid chipping and flaking paint from cutting

I'm sure there are plenty of other things I did wrong. This one will be the BASHER body LOL. :hammer:

DSC_0604.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

DSC_0601.jpg

From the pics it looks pretty sweet. You will learn to love the airbrush. You will never want to touch a rattle can again. But from what I can see nice lid!

Looks pretty good to me.

You aren't satisfied with it, but you learned a lot. Next one will be even better. :cheers:

1. I think the Razorback looks like hell no matter what.
BUT
2. I don't think your paint looks all that bad. It's a simple scheme and the lines look good. I think it's important with that body to back the entire thing because you can easily see right up into the underside of the body.
The other tips you offered are right on. One that I'm always guilty of missing is cleaning after you remove tape. And I end up with that nasty looking paint over the adhesive crap look. I'm actually trying something different on my next body. Not using tape. I'm trying frisket film. It's thinner to it will mold to the coutour of the body. And it has a totally different adhesive so I'll see if it leaves any residue.

All in all, a good job. If you had all sorts of bleed-through and runs, it might be another story. But the paint looks pretty good.

Thanks for being so kind guys. When I resized the pics it took away a lot of the detail of the mistakes. I really did enjoy the painting of the body, just not too thrilled with the results.

Everyone has to start somewhere. At least you are taking the iniative to get even deeper into something you already probably devote a lot of your time to. I think the body looks great too, BTW.

Just a tip, after using a Q tip, make sure you use air or something to get the little cotton hairs off the body.
Q tips work great but leave little hairs behind.

Oh. The paint looks pretty good cosidering it's your first attempt.

It looks pretty good! Like you said, the razor back body i snot that glamorous anyhow. Hey, at least you got to do this in your NEW home!

Hey, every paint job is a learning process! It looks fine to me, if a litttle plain. Maybe some decals or rivets (paint dots) around the flares. Do those things come with riders? or you gonna get an action figure for it?

I used frisket masking paper before I went to the liquid mask. It worked fine, but your designing art OFF the body, therefore sometimes would have to make fit..

I'm diggin the lid as well. I think it looks like ya did a good job. If your not happy with it, theres always some ELO (Easy Lift off) ya can use on it and try it again. But anyway I think it looks good!

Revo Rancher said:
It looks pretty good! Like you said, the razor back body i snot that glamorous anyhow. Hey, at least you got to do this in your NEW home!

True I could have never done this in our last home.

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys, I still have 4 more bodies I need to paint. Hopefully as time goes on I'll gain some skills with the exacto and a steady trigger finger.

Now I need to figure out what rider to throw on it. Any ideas?

no idea on the rider but I think it looks awesome..............I dont have the patience to paint anything but a one-color rattle can job.....LOL....I'm lazy like that......but it does look real good and I like the body.........need to get one for my maxx................. :cheers:

LOL that looks pretty cool, I bet it's going to cost a pretty penny. I might also exceed the weight limit of the car. LOL

I think I found the perfect figure

1131617565146_1126_6139_1_W.jpg

Get one of them Naploleaon Dynamite dolls! Thatd be sweet. Ill see if I can find a link.

That would be hilarious......eat your ham Tina....

SD you got to put a BARBIE on it LOL JK... nice lid... the venom doll looks like a good one to use..

4 more lids? I've got 2. Just got the nerve to try my airbrush. Not very good, but I hope by the time I get to the last one I do a decent job.

Sounds like you are getting addicted to painting. Me too! Looking foward to seeing the other 4 bodies.