First build instead of buying rtr

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtboogie

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK well let me put it the right way. It wont be a ground up build but I just got the mini recon, and although its a nice little truck I want brushless power. I found another mini recon on e bay with everything except the radio and receiver. So I ordered the truck and my plan is to drop in a castle 6800kv micro pro kit. However I really dont know much about setting up the receivers and making them work. Can you mix receivers like buy a traxxas receiver and run and HPI radio if they are both 2.4ghz? How do you get them to work right if they are different companies? I am thinking of sticking with trying to find the same receiver that comes in the recon because it will fit right. Is this an ok idea? The radio that comes with the recon has the bind button so if I can find the receiver can I use my same radio I already have for my brushed recon?

Sorry guys i am new to kind of creating my own rig everyone i have bought is an rtr so i have a few questions.

Don't be sorry! Ask any and all questions. Sometimes my sarcasm is a little dry. And sometimes I'm all wet.

The answer to a question in the middle is maybe. :D

Nothing beats building your own. That's the best way to learn about these amazing machines.

Last edited:
So now i am trying to decide between the 6800kv castle system or the 8000kv system for my 1/18 mini recon. I have been told the 6800 is plenty of power, and I know the higher kv rating makes the motor accelerate a little bit slower and has high top end. But I am thinking since it is a 1/18 scale and doesn't way too much that the 8000 should accelerate fine? However if I am not talking about a huge top speed difference between the two I will stick with the 6800. Also I see that these castle systems say they run off lipos so are they not capable of running of Nimhs?

Last edited:
I like running lower KV motors because they have more torque so you can gear them down for more top speed or if you want more acceleration its there as well. I'm not too familiar with minis and micros as I am pretty much a 1/10 and 1/8 guy but assuming both of those motors will work in that rig Id personally probably go with the 6800 and just gear down some. Theres some good speed calculators you can use online where you can plug in your gear ratios, motor info, battery info and things like that to kind of compare between the two. Kind of depends on what the max voltage they will take also. for example on my LST2-E conversion I did I went with a 1550KV that will handle 6S instead of going for a 1700 that only handled 5S. Between the extra cell and the fact I can gear it a little lower I can probably get the same speed out of it as the 1700 and I still have the torque there if I decide I need more torque at some point.

As for the Lipo and NIMH question....once you start running LiPo you wont ever want to run NiMH again IMO so I wouldnt worry about it.

Last edited:
Back