ESC Bad?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMAXX

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I bought a Venom AMP 80 Esc and 3300KV motor kit they have since dropped the product. So here is the problem I can get about half way around the track and it just stops then will studder around take off again then stop again and studder again. After that is does not take off again.

It ran great for the first few months I owned it with Venom 2s 5000 40C battery pack.

At first I thought it might be a programing problem so I reprogramed it for Full and Reverse throttle. Then the same thing happens. It comes with a program card but the instructions are unclear on how to plug it into the ESC and use it for programing. I opened a support case with Venom but they have since dropped this of their product line.

I bought a Venom AMP 80 Esc and 3300KV motor kit they have since dropped the product. So here is the problem I can get about half way around the track and it just stops then will studder around take off again then stop again and studder again. After that is does not take off again.

It ran great for the first few months I owned it with Venom 2s 5000 40C battery pack.

At first I thought it might be a programing problem so I reprogramed it for Full and Reverse throttle. Then the same thing happens. It comes with a program card but the instructions are unclear on how to plug it into the ESC and use it for programing. I opened a support case with Venom but they have since dropped this of their product line.

Venom product's are good " SOME OF THEM " for instance my Buddy had 2 Venom 3 Cell lipo's go bad witch Venom replaced for him @ no charge but it took forever to get"em " 3 1/2 week's..... Venom's Rig's are OK & nice looking but I can find other Rig's & Brands to drop my cash on... Venom's Battery Low Voltage dector's are very good & me & my buddy use them to test our batt's cell's... I had a Venom Brushless system in on of my Rig's awile back " I got my system when Venom 1st started making brushless motors & ESC So I figured I try one out... My Venom system worked well in a Rustler I had & i thought was pretty quick with a 5000KV motor & only had to program the ESC once but dident last long the Brushless motor only lasted the summer & the outside motor can used to get " HOT " rather Fast & around the Time I started useing Dynamite product's... I would say to you if you can't get the ESC to hold a program & you used fresh charged batt's I would try to recontact Venom for a replacement if no luck there scrap the hole system & go with a more trusted brand like TRAXXAS / LOSI / TEKEN / Dyamite

I would test it out with a second lipo first, then Id try another TX/RX assuming you have more then one, then Id try swapping out the motor with a spare one and see if that makes it work, if none of those things fix the issue then it would almost have to be the ESC.

Found out after some online research they have rebranded the Venom AMP 80 ESC and 3300Kv combo under Atomik R/C and I found the instructions on how to use the program card. The CD that came with it did not have the the instructions for the program card but I was able to find it online and stepped thru all the program modes.

http://www.atomik-rc.com/Programming-Card-for-80A-ESC.html?sc=40&category=-140

http://www.atomik-rc.com/Venom-80A-Waterproof-Brushless-ESC-GAMBL.html?sc=40&category=-140

This thing is way out of warrenty bought it last December and was out of warrenty even before I used it the first time.

The battery pack is just fine I was using it in another truck while this one is down.

I am taking it to the track tomorrow to see if it works if not I will purchase a new setup. In my 2 RC10 B4s I have installed a Duratrax ESC and 3700Kv motor combo made by Castle and really like these for inexpensive combos. They scream and cannot hit full throttle at my track. Keep telling myself to install smaller pinion gears but just get myself to do it because they are so fast.

So if it does not work I will scrap it and purchase another one of these for my RC10 T4. A new ESC costs almost the same price as the Duratrax Combo made by Castle.

Last edited:
Got a reply back from Venom support but they are blame it on the Transmitter and Receiver. Now I would like to entertain this but installed a JR XS3 FM radio system into into it then also had the same problems with a Spectrum DX3C 2.4 Ghz system. Kicked it back to their ESC and Motor. I looked at radio problems and that is not the problem.

Did you use the same batteries in both transmitters.
and you check the servos or loose connection on plugs.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with one of my rigs. I swapped the transmitter and receiver out and it ran fine. it may be different to my problem but worth a go!

I installed a Duratrax Element ESC and 3900Kv motor into my RC10T4 it last night and ran it today. I ran 2 LiPo battery packs on it without any problems. I ran the truck for about 40 minutes today. I still have to tweak it a little since it is not running as fast I would like.

I thought about the radio problem early on the first radio I had in it was a JR FM XS3 and crystal less receiver and I replaced it with a Spektrum 2.4GHz DX3C and 2 channel receiver then still had the same problem.

It is definitely a problem with the ESC or motor and know this now after replacing the motor and ESC.

Last edited:
Get a "Glitch Buster" capacitor. The JR/Spectrum radios draw alot of power.

Even though this was way out warrenty I opened a trouble case with the manufacture of the product. While I commend them on the response to the problem they also blamed it on my Transmitters and Receivers.

It was not the problem in this case. We are also talking LiPo battery packs so power is not the problem. The cut off point the ESC saw on the LiPo battery pack was above the 3.25 volts and at first it worked well and would shut down at 3.45 volts per battery cell on a 2S 5000 40C battery pack. I have a LiPo pack balancer that tells me voltage per cell and I use it to balance my battery pack before charging them. Well not the first one because I have 5 LiPo Battery packs and the Battery Charger will balance the battery before charging the pack, To save time I balance the other battery packs before charging them while I recharge the first pack. They all take about 2 hrs on my charger because my charge rate is half of the capacity. 5000 pack I will charge at a rate 2.5 so the battery pack does not get very hot.

When I first started to run it I would get almost 30 minutes of run time on the battery packs I use. Then one day it would run for less then a minute then stop and stutter. I may buy another ESC for the motor that will handle a 3300 KV but doubt it because they cost about $100.00 bucks I can just buy a complete matching system made by Castle for about $130.00 to $140.00 bucks.

Last edited:
Back