Hobby wing max 5 esc died

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucegregorg

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I purchased the hobby wing max5 esc with the 5687 1100kv brushlessmotor combo for my traxxas xrt. I have the traxxas 6700 lipo 4s batteries. I had to change the pinion gear 32 tooth and 47 spur it quit after two times running it first time 3 mins not hard. 2nd time 50 tooth spur gear never got a chance to open it up to full throttle. The esc quit sent it back and was told i overheated the esc. I thought they had overheat protection. I am getting a courtesy esc from hobby wing. My esc never shut off i stopped the truck and when i went to take off it wouldnt go. I got the gear ratio from online people who have same setup.anyone heard of this?

esc does have thermal protection. in your case the gear ratio is what caused issues..

You need an infrared temp gun. Monitor your temps. Lots of factors come into play, but keep your motor and esc temps below 160°F

Thats pretty extreme gearing for an 1100Kv motor on 8S. Plus if you have any additional drag in the drive line anywhere that will cause excessive amperage/heat. Like WF said, keep tabs on your motor and ESC temps.

I got he was running this on 4 cells.so . so he be running it on 8 .ok....

I know the hobbywings have some sort of protection from burning up so check how to reprogram it and if that doesn’t work did it let the magic smoke out?

I had 2 4s batteries and it didnt stop working at the first gear ratio i had the 50 tooth spur gear. I ran it up and down the street a couple of times not even fast i stopped the truck to do something and 2 mins later it wouldnt go.i emailed hobby wing and told them my setup they had me reset the esc and it would work but half of the time when i would let the throttle to nuetral it would blink green 3 or 4 times and the truck wouldnt go until it stopped blinking they never said the gears were too tall

I had 2 4s batteries and it didnt stop working at the first gear ratio i had the 50 tooth spur gear. I ran it up and down the street a couple of times not even fast i stopped the truck to do something and 2 mins later it wouldnt go.i emailed hobby wing and told them my setup they had me reset the esc and it would work but half of the time when i would let the throttle to nuetral it would blink green 3 or 4 times and the truck wouldnt go until it stopped blinking they never said the gears were too tall
Yeah, that’s what I thought, probably one of the sensors going off before you blow it up resetting usually does the trick

i went to the local hobby shop to buy a qs8 connector for my traxxas xrt. i was using a adaptor on my hobbywing max5 esc. the problem was it was a qs8-s that plugged in the the esc then it had 2 old traxxas connectors to connect to my traxxas batteries. this is what was sent to me when i purchased the combo online.the hobby shop hooked me up i bought 2 8000 4s batteries and they put the qs8 connectors and then they soldered two qs8 connectors to the esc with a crossover wire this way i have only 2 plugs and it is the nice qs8 connectors. deer park tx has victory rc hobby shop and they are great. now i need to get the gearing correct i have it at 32 56 which the motor and esc are running cool.

Back