Trouble with ESC and Motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treewire

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I bought this bundle of a motor and ESC (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Z2WRB6D) a while ago and it came with a programming card that I hadn't bothered using until recently. I intended to use the motor and ESC with an Arduino to drive the car, since I planned on adding other things to it in the future.

I used a R6FG receiver and T8S transmitter to get the Arduino to read the values, but the ESC was unable to properly read the values correctly and it wouldn't drive the motor either, despite the ESC detecting some of the transmitter's signals. So I decided to fiddle with the programming card that came with the ESC and see if that would work. I reset the ESC, and now it won't read anything.

When I plug the programming card back in, the lights just loop through and I'm unable to do anything. I did everything to try and get it to work again. Checked the batteries (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YH1X9TF), tried running the Arduino again, even plugged the ESC directly into the receiver to see if the Arduino was interfering. I'm afraid that I might have bricked my ESC but I'm currently unable to get a new one. I'm also wondering if the connections with the motor had something to do with it, since I'm also confused about which wires should connect to the ESC and their purpose, since the wires on the motor have different colors from the ESC.

I looked for sources on these issues, but I'm unable to find anything helpful and I've only arrived at dead ends. The motor and ESC didn't come with documentation either, only a paper on how to use the programming card and what to do when the ESC actually works properly. If there is any way to tell what is wrong with my ESC, whether or not it can be fixed, and how to connect the motor properly I'd really love to know and I greatly appreciate the help.

Double check all your connections.

Here is a basic diagram of the wiring.
1679167604010.png

There are couple of things that need to be correct for this to work.

Motor ESC Wires
These connections are arbitrary. In this case the motor is NOT sensored and you can connect the wires in any order. If you motor spins the wrong way just swap two wires.
1679169070686.png

Receiver Channels
Remember Channel 1 is steering, Channel 2 is gearing. Meaning channel one goes to your servo channel 1 and your ESC goes to channel 2. If they are swapped you throttle will be steering and visa versa. Fun but not controllable.

Control Wire Polarity
Also look at your control wires. They probably either white, red, black or yellow, red, brown. Other variations are around by those are the most two common.

The darkest one (black or brown) is ground. The lightest one (white or yellow) is the signal. If you put this in backwards your signal wire is grounded and ground is intermittent. Generally nothing bad happens, but nothing will work either. We have all done it more than once.
1679167705684.png

On the Receiver
Next is to look at your receiver. There should be a marking on it that tells you what polarity of the connection is. The "hat" looking think signifies a pulse, meaning signal. The + is positive (power) and the - is negative (or ground).
1679168544358.png

Programmer Polarity
Similar to the receiver you have polarity on the programmer. Make sure that is correct when you connect it to the programmer.
1679169414375.png

Some more help with the programmer

Re: your first problem, the ESC needs a neutral signal to arm. Usually you can calibrate ESCs so that they know what is "zero" input and then they turn on fully. If the input is off zero, they won't arm (to keep the car from flying away if you're accidentally holding throttle while turning the ESC on etc).

You could also share a bit more about your project so people can help you more better 😁

If your throttle trim on the radio is not centered when you turn the ESC on, the ESC will go into failsafe and not arm. Just a thought.

Re: your first problem, the ESC needs a neutral signal to arm. Usually you can calibrate ESCs so that they know what is "zero" input and then they turn on fully. If the input is off zero, they won't arm (to keep the car from flying away if you're accidentally holding throttle while turning the ESC on etc).

You could also share a bit more about your project so people can help you more better 😁
I'm trying to build an RC from scratch while still being completely new to RC stuff in general, and I bought a lot of parts from different places online and made some parts, like the shell, myself using 3D printing.

I started working on the drive system first and I had trouble with the electronics, but thanks to the replies I've gotten, I've been able to get the motors running and the programming correct. However, after a few minutes of testing, the ESC started repeatedly beeping, and then triyng to calibrate, but it would fail so it just went on an endless loop. I plugged it into a different motor, and it still wouldn't calibrate. Now it just doesn't turn on at all, and before that it got hot and the sound of the speaker on the ESC got distorted, so I'm wondering if the ESC got fried in the process of trying to fix it.

Also, I'm having trouble getting the car to steer with a simple mechanism. The steering systems most RC cars use are quite hard to build from scratch, so I would simply have one motor for one tire on the back on both sides, and have both motors run to move forward and have only one motor on one side to turn the car, but I found that it still goes straight even if just one motor is running, so I'm wondering how I could fix that and get it to work or if there's another steering mechanism I could try, but is still simple enough for me to make from scratch.

I'm trying to build an RC from scratch while still being completely new to RC stuff in general, and I bought a lot of parts from different places online and made some parts, like the shell, myself using 3D printing.

I started working on the drive system first and I had trouble with the electronics, but thanks to the replies I've gotten, I've been able to get the motors running and the programming correct. However, after a few minutes of testing, the ESC started repeatedly beeping, and then triyng to calibrate, but it would fail so it just went on an endless loop. I plugged it into a different motor, and it still wouldn't calibrate. Now it just doesn't turn on at all, and before that it got hot and the sound of the speaker on the ESC got distorted, so I'm wondering if the ESC got fried in the process of trying to fix it.

Also, I'm having trouble getting the car to steer with a simple mechanism. The steering systems most RC cars use are quite hard to build from scratch, so I would simply have one motor for one tire on the back on both sides, and have both motors run to move forward and have only one motor on one side to turn the car, but I found that it still goes straight even if just one motor is running, so I'm wondering how I could fix that and get it to work or if there's another steering mechanism I could try, but is still simple enough for me to make from scratch.
we need pics and videos. you probably need to make it like a tank.
you could have 2 motors. 1 motor driving the left side and the other motor driving the right side