Engine won't stay running after I remove the igniter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fnsweet

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey everybody got a quick ? for you. My engine wont stay running after I take the igniter off the glow plug. runs great with it on but dies after I take it off even at half throtle. any idea why. any and all help is welcomed. thanks.

your glow plug might be fouled. have you tried putting on a new one?

I took it out and put it in the igniter and it glows good.

I would have bet the plug is bad too, I would try a new one anyway. It is possible you are running to rich too, what did the end of the plug look like?

not reall black but a little bit and a little wet. only about 5 tanks on the plug.

i would say you are running to rich, start at the lsn and lean it in small small increments while it is sitting on a car stand or box with the tires off the ground, if the glow plug only has 5 tanks on it then it is most likely between it being to rich and low rx battery. and is it possible that the motor is on its last leg?? and what vehicle or engine is this?

glow plugs can look like they are fine, but are not getting hot enough to keep the engine lit. but as stated earlier, a wet plug means a rich tune. lean it out just a bit and see if that doesn't help.

thanks for all the help it was rich and the battery was low. thanks everybody for the help.

i would suggest not touching the lsn once u get her tuned. once i get my nitro gt2 tuned i can't touch the lsn because if i do it will give take me forever to get it tuned rite. but my gt2 has a very touchy carb and I'm not an expert so New guy+touchy carb=pulling out hair, its simple math

I can get her to run now but if I let her sit for a minute at idle and try to give it any gas it just dies. dont know?

sounds to me like you need to lean the high speed quite a bit but thats just my po

ya if its dieing like when you gas it (expecially if u hammer it) then its flooding itself out. i would just lean the hsn. only lean the leadle like 1/8 of a turn at a time or maby less than that. then gas it and test it again. once you get it to where it doesn't sound like crap and to where its not dieing then run some hotlaps and give her a check. Mr. rolex posted a great Flow chart on how to tune the nitro engines and that helped me a bunch b4 i completely understood them. https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832 just use that chart for all ur problems and eventuially you wont need it.

good 1 toolmaker i forgot about that one ben awhile since i needed it...lol

yes that is a very helpfull flow chart. i printed a few and keep them with my manuial and stuff

Did you seal your engine from any possible air leaks?

I know you got it running now which is good, but its also good to seal it from future headaches.

I was going to say, it could also be a gap in the head from either the shims being messed up of the head loose...but you'd probably see it smoke if it did.

Back