Electronics and radio for xmaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish someone local some that I could test out.
It can be had for $40 at times, and @Greywolf74 and I will both tell ya, it is well worth the price. Good feel, ability to mod it with a firmware mod (unlocks lots of additional models and features), nice screen and menu, and I love how it takes 8 AA batteries. I use Eneloop Pro batteries in it, and I haven't changed them out in months.

It can be had for $40 at times, and @Greywolf74 and I will both tell ya, it is well worth the price. Good feel, ability to mod it with a firmware mod (unlocks lots of additional models and features), nice screen and menu, and I love how it takes 8 AA batteries. I use Eneloop Pro batteries in it, and I haven't changed them out in months.

Damm, that's really cheap. Especially compared to the 300+ for a dx5 pro.

I'm gonna go broke listening to @Greywolf74... Xlx2 1100kv combo ordered.

Still undecided on a radio...
LOL, I said to wait until it goes on sale for 25% off! :p

In all fairness I'm going broke listening to me too sooooo 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

I wish someone local some that I could test out.
Damm, that's really cheap. Especially compared to the 300+ for a dx5 pro.
Get the GT3b and do the lipo mod and the bearing mod to it. It aint quite on par with the quality of a higher end radio like the DX5 pro but for bashers its perfectly fine and even better with those mods. I have a high end radio but I only use it for certain kits cuz the RXs are expensive and unless I'm racing or doing something that needs surgical precision like drifting the GT3b is great for bashing and the RXs are only $10/ea. The radio has 10 model memory

I'm picking up two more Xmaxx's because I'm an idiot. One simply needs a tire and the other needs electronics. The roller has a few upgraded aluminum parts and comes with street tires. So I was thinking about using it for light street bashing. No skate parks and big jumps.

I think I'm going to get a spektrum Dx5pro transmitter and some SR6100AT receivers. So I can have avc and the radio will work with my 3 other spektrum trucks.

For motor esc
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTC7QJS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D3383HPJ5YEYMKEV76AN

I'll have to piece together motor, esc mounting and some type of gearing.

I'm open to suggestions too! I'm new so I'm still figuring everything out.

The other truck, will stay stock until something breaks or probably sell it.
I can't give any medium-high end radio recommendations, as I haven't used that kind of stuff before. However, if you also would like a more budget Rx/Tx, check out the DumboRC Rx/Tx. I have the X6, the green one with 6 channels and a built in gyro (not a high end gyro, but it works, and you can tune the sensitivity), and I really like it, no complaints. The instructions are unclear, but if you have 3 Xmaxxs, you probably already know how to setup a Rx/Tx! You can also get a 4 channel version for ~$6 less, but it doesn't have a gyro, and has 2 less channels. Mine is actually modded (ever heard of someone who modded their RADIO before? lol), I might upload a pic sometime.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-T...I,B07B2SVQ3M,B07M7MD7HD,B08NH6MS9P,B07NQJ1VZ2 (or this one, exact same radio, different listing, more expensive: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-T...I,B07B2SVQ3M,B07M7MD7HD,B08NH6MS9P,B07NQJ1VZ2)

Banggood link (hurry, black friday deal right now, good price!): https://www.banggood.com/DumboRC-X6...329.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=226&rmmds=search (or this one, exact same, just different color: https://www.banggood.com/DumboRC-X6...-p-1546317.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search)

Get the GT3b and do the lipo mod and the bearing mod to it.
I've never really understood the whole LiPo mod thing for any radios. To me, it's really unwarranted considering how good rechargeable AA's are today. I just can't justify a need to have to charge a LiPo for the radio every time I wanna go run, then storage charge it when I'm done. Especially when I can just use AA batteries that I can't even begin to tell you how many cars I have ran through packs on with the same cycle of charge on the batteries I currently have in the radio.

I agree Kev, the double AAs I recharge are perfect. I have just about a dozen of them, so I won't run out of juice. ;)

I agree Kev, the double AAs I recharge are perfect. I have just about a dozen of them, so I won't run out of juice. ;)
I have about 24 of the Eneloops and 20 or so Duracell. I only use the Duracells for tv remotes and such, but will be phasing those out as they die off. We were using the Duracells in the Xbox controllers too, but having to charge them once per day got old. Now using the Eneloops in them too and it's night and day difference.

LOL, I said to wait until it goes on sale for 25% off! :p

In all fairness I'm going broke listening to me too sooooo 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

Get the GT3b and do the lipo mod and the bearing mod to it. It aint quite on par with the quality of a higher end radio like the DX5 pro but for bashers its perfectly fine and even better with those mods. I have a high end radio but I only use it for certain kits cuz the RXs are expensive and unless I'm racing or doing something that needs surgical precision like drifting the GT3b is great for bashing and the RXs are only $10/ea. The radio has 10 model memory

@armykyle1 the XLX2/1100kV combo is on sale right now on tower hobbies for the next 2.5 hours.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/flash-...content=Spot1&utm_campaign=11172021_4hoursale

Seriously....who has a 4 hour sale? 🤣

Man, I completely overlooked your comment and I feel like a complete idiot... At least I get like 25 bucks back with Amazon rewards 😂. I'm tempted to buy that too but I think I'll go with a lighter setup for my other truck. I'm still super annoyed...

I can't give any medium-high end radio recommendations, as I haven't used that kind of stuff before. However, if you also would like a more budget Rx/Tx, check out the DumboRC Rx/Tx. I have the X6, the green one with 6 channels and a built in gyro (not a high end gyro, but it works, and you can tune the sensitivity), and I really like it, no complaints. The instructions are unclear, but if you have 3 Xmaxxs, you probably already know how to setup a Rx/Tx! You can also get a 4 channel version for ~$6 less, but it doesn't have a gyro, and has 2 less channels. Mine is actually modded (ever heard of someone who modded their RADIO before? lol), I might upload a pic sometime.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-T...I,B07B2SVQ3M,B07M7MD7HD,B08NH6MS9P,B07NQJ1VZ2 (or this one, exact same radio, different listing, more expensive: https://www.amazon.com/DUMBORC-X6-T...I,B07B2SVQ3M,B07M7MD7HD,B08NH6MS9P,B07NQJ1VZ2)

Banggood link (hurry, black friday deal right now, good price!): https://www.banggood.com/DumboRC-X6...329.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=226&rmmds=search (or this one, exact same, just different color: https://www.banggood.com/DumboRC-X6...-p-1546317.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=search)

I've seen a lot of good feedback on those Dumbo radios. The other issue I have is I have to steer with my left. I have severe nerve damage in my left arm/hand. I can grip things but no real dexterity or feeling. Basically, letting off the throttle is an issue and I can't brake with my left. So I need something with a strong spring or whatever it's called to return me back to center 😂. I don't recommend getting shot.

I get AAs for free at work 😁

Screenshot_20211117-184853_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I hate it here 😂

Last edited:
Man, I completely overlooked your comment and I feel like a complete idiot... At least I get like 25 bucks back with Amazon rewards 😂. I'm tempted to buy that too but I think I'll go with a lighter setup for my other truck. I'm still super annoyed...

I've seen a lot of good feedback on those Dumbo radios. The other issue I have is I have to steer with my left. I have severe nerve damage in my left arm/hand. I can grip things but no real dexterity or feeling. Basically, letting off the throttle is an issue and I can't brake with my left. So I need something with a strong spring or whatever it's called to return me back to center 😂. I don't recommend getting shot.

I get AAs for free at work 😁

View attachment 136797

I hate it here 😂
Oh, ok, so you need a radio that you can turn the steering wheel around on? 99% of the radios that can do that are pretty expensive, so can't help ya there, sorry! Controlling the throttle with your left hand would be a bit sketchy, especially with a big ~18 pound 1/6 scale MT speeding along at 50+mph! Dang, do you all just order stuff (even expensive stuff) just like that? I contemplate my orders for like a week, and my orders never go above $100 lol!

Oh, ok, so you need a radio that you can turn the steering wheel around on? 99% of the radios that can do that are pretty expensive, so can't help ya there, sorry! Controlling the throttle with your left hand would be a bit sketchy, especially with a big ~18 pound 1/6 scale MT speeding along at 50+mph! Dang, do you all just order stuff (even expensive stuff) just like that? I contemplate my orders for like a week, and my orders never go above $100 lol!

I can't speak for others, but for myself, I am bit impulsive at times and others, well thought out. Obviously purchases are based on your own individual budget and what you deem reasonable for your budget. Which with a lot of things in life, are subjective. I just got out of drag racing because it's incredibly expensive, doing stuff on the street can get you in trouble and for me would cost me my job. Plus the value wasn't there for me anymore.

Hell, as soon as I got in this hobby I said I was gonna get a kraton 8s exb and a Mojave. Guess what I don't have? Either one 😂. Neither one makes sense for the other trucks I have right now too. Sometimes you just gotta dive in and other times you gotta test the water with your big toe.

After looking the flysky radios. I think the noble nb4 might be good for me.

I can't speak for others, but for myself, I am bit impulsive at times and others, well thought out. Obviously purchases are based on your own individual budget and what you deem reasonable for your budget. Which with a lot of things in life, are subjective. I just got out of drag racing because it's incredibly expensive, doing stuff on the street can get you in trouble and for me would cost me my job. Plus the value wasn't there for me anymore.

Hell, as soon as I got in this hobby I said I was gonna get a kraton 8s exb and a Mojave. Guess what I don't have? Either one 😂. Neither one makes sense for the other trucks I have right now too. Sometimes you just gotta dive in and other times you gotta test the water with your big toe.

Yeah, been eyeballing that one too. Since you are wanting something left handed, that for the money is probably a very good choice. If you get one, let us know how you like it.

Just make sure you grab the right one. It can be bought with a regular sized receiver, or the Kyosho version that comes with Mini-Z receivers.

Last edited:
I've never really understood the whole LiPo mod thing for any radios. To me, it's really unwarranted considering how good rechargeable AA's are today. I just can't justify a need to have to charge a LiPo for the radio every time I wanna go run, then storage charge it when I'm done. Especially when I can just use AA batteries that I can't even begin to tell you how many cars I have ran through packs on with the same cycle of charge on the batteries I currently have in the radio.
Modding for lipo is mostly about reducing weight and extending run time. I know AAs can last a long time too but I can plug my 3500mAh lipo in to my GT3b and go months without ever having to remove the battery. I dont storage charge TX packs. Its not critical for something that only pulls a tiny bit of current and you're right that would be a pain to remove the lipo and balance charge it everytime. I suppose if your TX runs off of 4AAs then your probably not gaining much in the weight saving department but on a radio like the GT3b that runs 8AAs, a lipo is lighter. Maybe thats not important to some people but it is to me. 🤷‍♂️

If your looking for left handed radio theres not to many choices out there. The Flysky that you found is one, Graupner makes left handed radios but I can't find any in stock anywhere, and Hitec also makes ones. The Hitec one even has a built in MP3 player and allows you to upload custom sounds effects for various functions on the radio. Extraneous I know but kinda cool all the same. Never used any of these radios but I imagine theyre all solid choices.

Modding for lipo is mostly about reducing weight and extending run time. I know AAs can last a long time too but I can plug my 3500mAh lipo in to my GT3b and go months without ever having to remove the battery. I dont storage charge TX packs. Its not critical for something that only pulls a tiny bit of current and you're right that would be a pain to remove the lipo and balance charge it everytime. I suppose if your TX runs off of 4AAs then your probably not gaining much in the weight saving department but on a radio like the GT3b that runs 8AAs, a lipo is lighter. Maybe thats not important to some people but it is to me. 🤷‍♂️
The added weight of the AA's in the GT3 is actually one of the things I like most about it. I can't stand the RTR Tx's that are super light, which always makes them feel cheap. Of all the cheaper Tx's I have, the GT3 feels like a quality item because it is a bit heavier that the rest. It makes controlling the model feel more stable due to the radio feeling solid in my hand. I guess I am used to the old Futaba's that were built like tanks. And some of my old ones actually had been modded with aluminum parts in them. Aluminum steering knobs and steering components, etc. I will have to tear down my old Futaba Jr some day and show you guys some of my old manual machining skills 😉

The added weight of the AA's in the GT3 is actually one of the things I like most about it. I can't stand the RTR Tx's that are super light, which always makes them feel cheap. Of all the cheaper Tx's I have, the GT3 feels like a quality item because it is a bit heavier that the rest. It makes controlling the model feel more stable due to the radio feeling solid in my hand. I guess I am used to the old Futaba's that were built like tanks. And some of my old ones actually had been modded with aluminum parts in them. Aluminum steering knobs and steering components, etc. I will have to tear down my old Futaba Jr some day and show you guys some of my old manual machining skills 😉
To each his own. I like really light radios cuz my hand starts to get fatigued after awhile especially since I developed arthritis.

Let's see how this noble nb4 is. I think i might run it on one of my other trucks first. Get a feel for the differences. Plus ensuring functionality before putting it in a completely new build first.

Man, I would be impulsive, but my money doesn't agree! Life ain't cheap...all of my upgrades are well thought out and are "smart" upgrades! Yeah, drag racing must be expensive, what kind of car did you have for that (come'n brain, he did not have a proper dragster, ok? lol).

Yeah, both of those are nice rigs, but also cost a lot!
Hey, I saw a video on that radio the other day, isn't that Flyshy's top of the line, breaking edge technology radio that costs $300+? It is very nice I must say, but way overkill for most. Does have 18 channels, so you can control everything you could possibly want...I can't even think of 9 things that I would want to control, let alone 18 (who has that much crap to control anyway lol)!

Hey, I saw a video on that radio the other day, isn't that Flyshy's top of the line, breaking edge technology radio that costs $300+? It is very nice I must say, but way overkill for most. Does have 18 channels, so you can control everything you could possibly want...I can't even think of 9 things that I would want to control, let alone 18 (who has that much crap to control anyway lol)!
Theres two different Nobles. Theres the $400 18CH Noble Pro but they also have the Noble NB4 which is basically the same multi-handed design but its only 4CH and right now I just saw it on sale at HobbyKing for $175

Theres two different Nobles. Theres the $400 18CH Noble Pro but they also have the Noble NB4 which is basically the same multi-handed design but its only 4CH and right now I just saw it on sale at HobbyKing for $175
I wonder if there will be a firmware hack to mod the regular to the pro version.