Electronics and radio for xmaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armykyle1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm picking up two more Xmaxx's because I'm an idiot. One simply needs a tire and the other needs electronics. The roller has a few upgraded aluminum parts and comes with street tires. So I was thinking about using it for light street bashing. No skate parks and big jumps.

I think I'm going to get a spektrum Dx5pro transmitter and some SR6100AT receivers. So I can have avc and the radio will work with my 3 other spektrum trucks.

For motor esc
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTC7QJS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D3383HPJ5YEYMKEV76AN

I'll have to piece together motor, esc mounting and some type of gearing.

I'm open to suggestions too! I'm new so I'm still figuring everything out.

The other truck, will stay stock until something breaks or probably sell it.

I'm picking up two more Xmaxx's because I'm an idiot. One simply needs a tire and the other needs electronics. The roller has a few upgraded aluminum parts and comes with street tires. So I was thinking about using it for light street bashing. No skate parks and big jumps.

I think I'm going to get a spektrum Dx5pro transmitter and some SR6100AT receivers. So I can have avc and the radio will work with my 3 other spektrum trucks.

For motor esc
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTC7QJS/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_D3383HPJ5YEYMKEV76AN

I'll have to piece together motor, esc mounting and some type of gearing.

I'm open to suggestions too! I'm new so I'm still figuring everything out.

The other truck, will stay stock until something breaks or probably sell it.
What would you want for the 3rd Xmaxx if you sell it? I've been toying around with the idea of buying one. PM me if you want to discuss selling it.

I'm personally not big on Spektrum radios although you could do worse and I see what you're going after with the 6100RXs. It wouldnt be my first choice of RX to use unless you need 6 channels, AVC, and telemetry. You can find cheaper RXs to use if you dont need all those features and channels.

If you're going to go with a Hobbywing set up Id personally get the 1100kV motor instead of the 800kV unless theres some specific reason you're going for the 800kV? Or Castle also makes a 1260kV motor that you could use also. Just a thought.

Not sure what you mean by "I'll have to piece together motor, esc mounting and some type of gearing." You can buy the ESC and motor in a combo and then just pick up some stock gears to start with? Unless I'm not catching on to what you meant.

What would you want for the 3rd Xmaxx if you sell it? I've been toying around with the idea of buying one. PM me if you want to discuss selling it.

I'm personally not big on Spektrum radios although you could do worse and I see what you're going after with the 6100RXs. It wouldnt be my first choice of RX to use unless you need 6 channels, AVC, and telemetry. You can find cheaper RXs to use if you dont need all those features and channels.

If you're going to go with a Hobbywing set up Id personally get the 1100kV motor instead of the 800kV unless theres some specific reason you're going for the 800kV? Or Castle also makes a 1260kV motor that you could use also. Just a thought.

Not sure what you mean by "I'll have to piece together motor, esc mounting and some type of gearing." You can buy the ESC and motor in a combo and then just pick up some stock gears to start with? Unless I'm not catching on to what you meant.

I should have them sometime today, I'll look them both over. I'll probably try to do a package deal with the batteries (if the function correctly). Probably in the 800 range. If the batteries are junk, probably knock a hundred or so off. I don't want to put a hard price on them until I see the condition for myself.

What would your choice of tx/rx combos? I don't think the 6ch is needed, just looking for the avc functionality. Which would be really handy with the senton and mojave(when I get one). I did read about the lag with the older spektrum radios. I have two DX3 and a slt3 and they seem very responsive. The avc function can be really helpful with outcast. But I have been keeping it turned down a decent amount. Since it's rambunctious style is part of the fun.

I thought those motors needed specific motor mount, unless I misunderstood and that's needed for the crazy gearing people run sometimes? If those motors fit in the stock mounting, that would be great! I don't think that esc will though?

Whats the trade off offs between the 800kv vs 1100kv? I'm not apposed to a castle setup, I've just seen more failures on the xmaxx and arrma pages with them. Which I think applies the esc's mostly.

I have the 1100kv HW in mine and it runs awesome. However, it is an 8mm shaft and the size of the can really limits the size of pinion you can use. I also am using the WFO motor mount and it's a great motor mount because it's a solid one piece but the can on the 1100kv is so large, it won't drop down far enough to reach the spur using smaller pinions. I am using 23/54 right now. I like it but again it limits what I can try because of the size of the can.

I have the 1100kv HW in mine and it runs awesome. However, it is an 8mm shaft and the size of the can really limits the size of pinion you can use. I also am using the WFO motor mount and it's a great motor mount because it's a solid one piece but the can on the 1100kv is so large, it won't drop down far enough to reach the spur using smaller pinions. I am using 23/54 right now. I like it but again it limits what I can try because of the size of the can.

Are you running fans on the motor?

I should have them sometime today, I'll look them both over. I'll probably try to do a package deal with the batteries (if the function correctly). Probably in the 800 range. If the batteries are junk, probably knock a hundred or so off. I don't want to put a hard price on them until I see the condition for myself.
Let me know when you got pics and a hard price. Ill see whats up.

What would your choice of tx/rx combos? I don't think the 6ch is needed, just looking for the avc functionality. Which would be really handy with the senton and mojave(when I get one). I did read about the lag with the older spektrum radios. I have two DX3 and a slt3 and they seem very responsive. The avc function can be really helpful with outcast. But I have been keeping it turned down a decent amount. Since it's rambunctious style is part of the fun.
I would rather use Sanwa or Futaba myself, that being said IDK which of their recievers (if any) have AVC built in to them because I dont use it. I dont care for AVC personally. Its like all these new options real cars have these days that tries to take the human equation out of the driving like traction control, ABS, etc etc. I feel like thats just stuff to make people not really learn how to drive for themselves but thats all just a personal preference. You can always mount a gyro in any kit if you really want that AVC functionality but dont have a RX equipped with AVC.

I thought those motors needed specific motor mount, unless I misunderstood and that's needed for the crazy gearing people run sometimes? If those motors fit in the stock mounting, that would be great! I don't think that esc will though?
They probably will need an after market motor mount, both of them should be the same can size. You can use a smaller can motor if you want I just recommended the 1100kV over the 800kV so you wouldnt have to get as extreme with your pinion size. Both motors from what I understand use 8mm shafts so you'll have to get pinions from some place like Saga Customs.

I can't speak to the ESC. I've never owned a MAX 5 or an Xmaxx so I'm not sure if it will fit where the stock ESC goes or not.

Whats the trade off offs between the 800kv vs 1100kv? I'm not apposed to a castle setup, I've just seen more failures on the xmaxx and arrma pages with them. Which I think applies the esc's mostly.
The only trade off is just being able to use smaller pinions on the 1100kV. Other than that you can get about the same performance out of either one with the right gearing. If you opt for the Castle route Id go with the XLX2 and either their 1100kV ro their 1260kV motor. I've not looked in to it but if I had to guess what you read about people blowing up Castle ESCs in the Xmaxx is people using a Mamba Monster X 8S instead of the XLX2. Pretty sure youd be hard pressed to smoke an XLX2. That being said the XLX2/1100kV combo is about $100 more than the MAX5/1100kV combo. Worth it imo as I think Castle is better quality and you also get data logging features but thats just me.

Let me know when you got pics and a hard price. Ill see whats up.

I would rather use Sanwa or Futaba myself, that being said IDK which of their recievers (if any) have AVC built in to them because I dont use it. I dont care for AVC personally. Its like all these new options real cars have these days that tries to take the human equation out of the driving like traction control, ABS, etc etc. I feel like thats just stuff to make people not really learn how to drive for themselves but thats all just a personal preference. You can always mount a gyro in any kit if you really want that AVC functionality but dont have a RX equipped with AVC.

They probably will need an after market motor mount, both of them should be the same can size. You can use a smaller can motor if you want I just recommended the 1100kV over the 800kV so you wouldnt have to get as extreme with your pinion size. Both motors from what I understand use 8mm shafts so you'll have to get pinions from some place like Saga Customs.

I can't speak to the ESC. I've never owned a MAX 5 or an Xmaxx so I'm not sure if it will fit where the stock ESC goes or not.

The only trade off is just being able to use smaller pinions on the 1100kV. Other than that you can get about the same performance out of either one with the right gearing. If you opt for the Castle route Id go with the XLX2 and either their 1100kV ro their 1260kV motor. I've not looked in to it but if I had to guess what you read about people blowing up Castle ESCs in the Xmaxx is people using a Mamba Monster X 8S instead of the XLX2. Pretty sure youd be hard pressed to smoke an XLX2. That being said the XLX2/1100kV combo is about $100 more than the MAX5/1100kV combo. Worth it imo as I think Castle is better quality and you also get data logging features but thats just me.

Hopefully know something this evening with the one truck.

Yea, most of the castle ones I've seen on the forums that had issues were the mamba monster x. The xlx2 and max5 should have plenty of head room too. There was a few Max6 esc popping smoke too.

The shorter can size if the hobbywing 1100kv seems like it would be easier to fit everything. Plus I fount I'd be able to fully utilize the 800kv, plus going crazy with gears defeats the purpose from what I gathered.

Where did you get the gear and fans from?

They are stock from Jenny's I just tightened it up with zip ties. Works just fine.

WFO Customs has a belt drive or some mod 1.5 gears that fit the 8mm shaft size. It even comes with an 8mm shaft for the cush drive.

https://wforccustoms.com/collection...mm-shaft-d-bore-mod-1-5-gear-combo-for-x-maxx

I think WFO recommended the XLX2 and the 800kv motor last I talked to them.

I thought the Max5 was the ESC people were having trouble with?
It would make more sense if it was the MAX6 since its a smaller ESC. Unless theres some sort of design flaw with the 5?

It would make more sense if it was the MAX6 since its a smaller ESC. Unless theres some sort of design flaw with the 5?
I thought I read somewhere the 5 was having issues. So I put the 6 in my wishlist on Tower. I can't tell ya where I read that. But it's a long way off me getting the ESC so I'll keep researching.

I thought I read somewhere the 5 was having issues. So I put the 6 in my wishlist on Tower. I can't tell ya where I read that. But it's a long way off me getting the ESC so I'll keep researching.
Wait till the XLX2 goes on sale on Tower for 25% off and go that route :)

WFO Customs has a belt drive or some mod 1.5 gears that fit the 8mm shaft size. It even comes with an 8mm shaft for the cush drive.

https://wforccustoms.com/collection...mm-shaft-d-bore-mod-1-5-gear-combo-for-x-maxx

I think WFO recommended the XLX2 and the 800kv motor last I talked to them.

I thought the Max5 was the ESC people were having trouble with?

Seems like a lot of their stuff is out of stock.

Here's the said xmaxx. I'm not sure what's going on with the servo horn...

20211115_202109.jpg

20211115_211053.jpg