Electric tmaxx conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm curious what I would need to do to be able to convert my Tmaxx to electric. It's been in the back of my head for a while now and after seeing how my friends e-pede goes with a titan 550 and a 8.4v 5000mah nimh I kinda want a 4wd electric. And plus, sometimes I would like to just be able to grab it and go and not have to mess with stuff to get it to run, ect.

Anyways, I have done some quick searching and I sort of have an idea of what I want to do but I would like an opinion on the matter. First off I know that I gotta get the 1 speed conversion and the foc but how does that work? Do I combine the conversions? Next up, I have been thinking of getting the titan 775, xl5 with lvd and a dual battery setup of 2s lipos. What about the dual 775 setup? This is where I get confused because I know the batteries are compatible with the esc and the motor is compatible with the esc but there has to be a point where the batteries are too powerful for the motor. How can I tell if I'm going overboard? Also, can I just buy a emaxx chassis and slap it on there? Cause then I could just go with a regular emaxx motor mount and it has the places for the batteries, ect.

What do you guys think? Anyone else here who has done something similar?

I think the best way is to buy the emaxx chassis and transmission. All the other parts should swap over and then you'd need to buy whatever motors you want. If you go with 775 I think you need a different motor plate than the factory. Ultimately a single brushless setup is the way to go. The only other thing I can think of is the diffs may need to be turned over as the electric may turn the opposite way. On my emaxx the trans turns counter clockwise if you're looking at the truck from behind to go forward

Last edited:
I think you got the esc's mixed up, you need the EVX2, not XL5.

I'm looking for the xl5, the evx2 is a marine esc with a watercooled heatsink. I am doing a conversion on a tmaxx truck.

What could I get for a brushless motor that wouldn't be much more expensive than the 775?

they're three different esc's
XL5 3018R with lvd
EVX2 #3019R with lvd #3019 without lvd
EVX2 marine #3020

You'll need the EVX2, stock in brushed summit,erevo and emaxx. If you want a brushless motor you'll need a brushless esc.

they're three different esc's
XL5 3018R with lvd
EVX2 #3019R with lvd #3019 without lvd
EVX2 marine #3020

You'll need the EVX2, stock in brushed summit,erevo and emaxx. If you want a brushless motor you'll need a brushless esc.

I didn't realize the xl5 couldn't use BL. Thanks.

none brushed esc's can run brushless motors.
There is some brushless esc's that can be wired to run brushed motors though.
Connecting a 775 to the XL5 with be very slow and have no power. I think it has 8cell max battery limit, the 775 needs 12-14cells used in the EVX2

Depending on how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go, you may be better off finding an emaxx used or getting a new brushed emaxx

Depending on how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go, you may be better off finding an emaxx used or getting a new brushed emaxx

I could, but I would rather just use what I got. Not trying to spend a ton on all this, even though I know I will. I'm not trying to build something super fast, I just want a pretty quick 4wd electric.

How is the dual 775 compared to a single 775? I know you don't exactly get more top speed from a dual compared to a single so would the torque be worth it? Would it significantly cut down my run time? What about driveline upgrades? Am I going to start making twizzlers? :D

Like I said, I think you're going to find that you can pick up a used one for cheaper than you can convert yours and then you'll have both. I don't know what tmaxx you have but if its not the one that's has the the really big driveshafts and axles you will need to upgrade those. Id make a parts list of stuff you want/need and see where you come out at. Include a chassis and transmission in your list. I have been upgrading parts on my emaxx to the point where I could work on building another one but after thinking about having to buy the electronics for it I could buy another new one instead of building it.

I'm getting ready to convert a tmaxx as well and I know very litter about electric. I'm not looking for crazy speed just looking to have a little fun with my nephew, he has a Stampede. I would like to use a 775 motor (I can buy the mount from How2RC). Do I need to use an EVX-2 or is there something cheaper I can use? I figure if I do my trans conversions and stick with a brushed motor than it would be easier on the rest of my drive line.

1enick72,
i would look at the components to switch 1/8 scale nitros (like the AE MGT, Losi LST, Savage) to get the motor, ESC, Gears Etc.). vxl 3s brushless kit is $170 from rc planet, I'm sure that you can find cheaper on Ebay, castle creations is probably the best quality, they were at the forefront of BL conversion back when they were just starting to convert back in the day (8-9 years ago about). the 775 motor is going to be quite slow, wich if only going slow peaks your fancy thats an option, but 9 times out of 10, you are going to want to go faster eventually so its cheaper to do it now. good to be warry of drivelines, but that can be tamed with lower output batteries (2c lipos or Nimh type), also T-Maxx's have been around forever so there are alot of upgrade options, including steel drivelines. i am unsure how well a 1/10 brushless will work, you can get a BL system for right around $100, which is going to save drivetrain components.
Best of luck to ya and should reply back when you decide wich avenue you take and completed build!

1enick72,
i would look at the components to switch 1/8 scale nitros (like the AE MGT, Losi LST, Savage) to get the motor, ESC, Gears Etc.). vxl 3s brushless kit is $170 from rc planet, I'm sure that you can find cheaper on Ebay, castle creations is probably the best quality, they were at the forefront of BL conversion back when they were just starting to convert back in the day (8-9 years ago about). the 775 motor is going to be quite slow, wich if only going slow peaks your fancy thats an option, but 9 times out of 10, you are going to want to go faster eventually so its cheaper to do it now. good to be warry of drivelines, but that can be tamed with lower output batteries (2c lipos or Nimh type), also T-Maxx's have been around forever so there are alot of upgrade options, including steel drivelines. i am unsure how well a 1/10 brushless will work, you can get a BL system for right around $100, which is going to save drivetrain components.
Best of luck to ya and should reply back when you decide wich avenue you take and completed build!
I just received a t-maxx and I really want to turn it into electric and I really don't know what I'm doing. Do I keep the transmission, bc it's a good transmission and I remove the gas engine rite. Could you please tell me what I need

I just received a t-maxx and I really want to turn it into electric and I really don't know what I'm doing. Do I keep the transmission, bc it's a good transmission and I remove the gas engine rite. Could you please tell me what I need
this thread is from 2013

I've never done an E conversion to a TMAXX yet but at minimum you're going to need an 1/8 scale ESC & Motor like the Castle Mamba Monster 2 and Castle 1515 - 2200kV, a motor mount, Battery tray, 6S Lipo, You'll have to do a single speed conversion and a forward only conversion to the transmission as well as replacing any plastic gears with metal ones, you'll need to replace the stock plastic axles with metal ones and the drive shafts too if they arent metal already.

I've never done an E conversion to a TMAXX yet but at minimum you're going to need an 1/8 scale ESC & Motor like the Castle Mamba Monster 2 and Castle 1515 - 2200kV, a motor mount, Battery tray, 6S Lipo, You'll have to do a single speed conversion and a forward only conversion to the transmission as well as replacing any plastic gears with metal ones, you'll need to replace the stock plastic axles with metal ones and the drive shafts too if they arent metal already.
So you can't give it a reverse and do I have to change the axles, bc the drive shafts are metal. I'm just messing around with it in the backyard and I'm not going to be racing it or anything

So you can't give it a reverse and do I have to change the axles, bc the drive shafts are metal. I'm just messing around with it in the backyard and I'm not going to be racing it or anything
It will have reverse, its just done with the electronics and not the gear box. The plastic axles wont hold up to brushless power, especially if you're going 6S, which is what most people do with 1/8 scale rigs. If you go 4S then you can try it and see how it works but Id speculate that they will break sooner or later and Id guess sooner. 6S will kill them for sure and probably right away.

It will have reverse, its just done with the electronics and not the gear box. The plastic axles wont hold up to brushless power, especially if you're going 6S, which is what most people do with 1/8 scale rigs. If you go 4S then you can try it and see how it works but Id speculate that they will break sooner or later and Id guess sooner. 6S will kill them for sure and probably right away.
Oh ok cool, thanx

Back