E Revo servo upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fragged3d

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
one of my servos recently took a dump do I want to replace them with savox servos, what do you suggest?

I would go with a single servo set up such as this:

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/savsa1283sg.htm

I should also add that you may need an external BEC (Battery Eliminator Circuit) because all of the Savox I've used can cause brownouts and loss of control if your ESC doesn't put out enough current.

It's better to go with 1 servo as it's easier to get it set up. 2 servo set ups tend to be a bit more work and expense, IMO. If the 2 servos aren't centered properly, they tend to fight each other which uses extra power and causes premature servo wear. I used a single HiTec HS-5655TG in my Revo 3.3 for a while, before going back to stock servos when I thought about selling it.

Is this the full sized eRevo or the 1/16th Version (mERV)? I have both the Revo 3.3 (which is the same size as the 1/10 eRevo) and a mERV VXL. Even with bigger tires and beadlocks on mERV, it gets by on the single stock servo even being punished with the Brushless/3s LiPo combo.

Here's a pic of the little monster:
20130820_191655_zps32cadc19.jpg

It's better to go with 1 servo as it's easier to get it set up. 2 servo set ups tend to be a bit more work and expense, IMO. If the 2 servos aren't centered properly, they tend to fight each other which uses extra power and causes premature servo wear. I used a single HiTec HS-5655TG in my Revo 3.3 for a while, before going back to stock servos when I thought about selling it.

Is this the full sized eRevo or the 1/16th Version (mERV)? I have both the Revo 3.3 (which is the same size as the 1/10 eRevo) and a mERV VXL. Even with bigger tires and beadlocks on mERV, it gets by on the single stock servo even being punished with the Brushless/3s LiPo combo.

Here's a pic of the little monster:
20130820_191655_zps32cadc19.jpg
It's a full size revo

Just remember that Savox servos in general tend to be current hogs and can cause brownouts if your Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) isn't up to it but that is fixed relatively easily.

I'm aware, thanks!

I got it installed and it won't turn the wheels!
The savox sb-2270sg? It has nearly 300oz of torque even not on 7.2V. If it's not turning your wheels... you have severe binding issues. Did you get the HD servo saver spring as well? I run a 172oz servo on mine and if I hold the wheels stationary, it will overpower the HD saver spring. I think the savox 0231 in my other revo will do the same. Neither of which have nearly the torque the s2270sg has.

The savox sb-2270sg? It has nearly 300oz of torque even not on 7.2V. If it's not turning your wheels... you have severe binding issues. Did you get the HD servo saver spring as well? I run a 172oz servo on mine and if I hold the wheels stationary, it will overpower the HD saver spring. I think the savox 0231 in my other revo will do the same. Neither of which have nearly the torque the s2270sg has.

I dont have the upgraded servo saver!

That will help, but on carpet, my servos still overpower the spring. The stock spring is pretty weak. The HD spring makes it more responsive, but anything over 200oz is kind of a waste on it as the spring gives way pretty easily. The good news is, you more than likely won't damage your servo, ever. At least not due to smacking into to something. :)

That will help, but on carpet, my servos still overpower the spring. The stock spring is pretty weak. The HD spring makes it more responsive, but anything over 200oz is kind of a waste on it as the spring gives way pretty easily. The good news is, you more than likely won't damage your servo, ever. At least not due to smacking into to something. :)

Yeah

Your pillow balls are too tight probably. I usually adjust mine on my pvc stand that's wide enough for the arms, but the tires don't touch the ground. I push the truck down so the arms are parallel with the ground, then adjust the pillow ball nuts until there is a hair bit of play, then tighten them just a little so they don't have slop, but also aren't so tight that they are binding.

Actually, now that I think about it, I take the tires off so it's easy to move the axle carrier with your hand to wiggle it about to check for play. But I still push the truck down so the arms are parallel with the ground so the linkage is all at a good resting position before I adjust the pillow ball nuts.

It's pretty clear to see that your servo is overpowering the servo saver spring. The HD spring will transmit more force, but you should check binding with the servo not connected to the linkage anyway so you can get it as free moving as possible. Then the only friction your servo is fighting is with the ground.