Drift servos vs normal servos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyBooty

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Anybody know if there are specific servos made for drifting? I've seen people use super cheap 9kg servos for they rwd drift car and the speed is insane even for 15 bucks, I have a 20kg servo in my touring can which is basically the same dimensions and specs as a rwd car, do the amount of linkages in the steering have a impact on speed?

You would want a digital servo. Most servos today are digital aren't they?
I think analog servos are something of the past? Digital servos give better speed, torque and response times. If I'm not wrong

The amount of linkages? I'm confused about that. I don't think that matters on speed and performance of the servo.
Idk what people use for drift cars, but in the offroad racing scene, my buddies use some pretty fast expensive servos. Like Protek and nitropro. I use an older Xpert servo in my buggy, which is alright on the specs, but its a low voltage servo, most people today prefer to use high voltage servos and fans and such.

You would want a digital servo. Most servos today are digital aren't they?
I think analog servos are something of the past? Digital servos give better speed, torque and response times. If I'm not wrong

The amount of linkages? I'm confused about that. I don't think that matters on speed and performance of the servo.
Idk what people use for drift cars, but in the offroad racing scene, my buddies use some pretty fast expensive servos. Like Protek and nitropro. I use an older Xpert servo in my buggy, which is alright on the specs, but its a low voltage servo, most people today prefer to use high voltage servos and fans and such.
When i say amount of linkages, I mean direct servo steering, not exactly sure what it is but I'm pretty sure it effects how fast thes ervo turns the wheels

Generally, there is no difference however drifters aren't going to need as much torque, so you can get away with a lower quality servo in a drifter without much concern of it failing due to very low stress loads placed with drift tires sliding across the ground with very little grip/force.

There is a sweet spot on servo speed where most people have reaction skills somewhere in the 0.08 - 0.12 sec/60° range. My personal preference is 0.08 sec/60° however there are many radio systems which offer "steering speed" settings which allow you to slow down your servo speed to suit your reaction skills if you happen to get a servo that's too fast for you.

The number of linkages are moot, however it's extremely important to periodically remove your servo arm or disconnect the link to the servo arm to inspect your linkages for any binding. It's best to do this when you rebuild your car for maintenance, more info here:
I agree that HV is the way to go for servos because the higher the voltage, the better the efficiency and torque which will pull less current which in turn will generate less heat which in turn will allow the servo to last longer before it fails. More info here on how I was able to prove that higher voltage improves efficiency:
https://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost.php?p=15391530&postcount=6