DURATRAX Kwik-Pit Super Start "SUCKS"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazUK

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi I have a Duratrax Kwik-Pit Super Start which I have had for just over a year and not been used that much. My problem is that the switch has gone which isn't the issue as I don't have a problem replacing and fixing the switch. The thing that has really wound me up and I am really screwing about is that the Stupid part has been discontinued for some unknown reason no one know's and I am not getting no help from the manufacturers nor there support dept, on top of all that you can't find it anywhere on the net. From what I have found out the company labelled on the switch is called TAIWAY and if you go to there website they have the exact switch but in a different colour which I don't mind but and this is the big but you can't buy it it's just a catalogue of some sort.

What I would like to hear from you guys is

1. Has anyone had the same problem? and 2. What did you do to fix this issue?

I've added pictures for you to see Thanks in advance

Last edited:
From what I see, the pic on the right looks like a mini switch from Radio Shack. Probably a DPDT. Take the unit with you and see if they can match it up.

Ah thanks Rolex I''ve been looking at DPDT switches but was looking to see if I could find one which I could incorporate the red button on top but with no luck, so I had another crack in looking for it on ebay by just typing DPDT in the search box amazingly I found the exact same switch after going 5 pages down, the button is black but I can swap that with my existing black one.

Thanks Rolex :D

Personally, I hate anything roto or electric start. With a great tune and a great running engine, a pullstart can get you running within 2-3 pulls.

IMO, I would crap the roto and go pull.

Your right in some ways HPI but in my opinion when you have engine issues I rather be pressing a trigger than pulling a string so much easier and less stress. Also as I have tried both they both have issues and they both have positives. It's all down to again IMO personal preference as from what I have learnt it doesn't effect reliability, performance or quality as they both perform the same.

I agree naz, I have kits with both. They both have their pluses and minuses. Personally I think the XXL had the best idea. roto and pull all in one.....if its not giving me in problems then I just use the pull start....if she gets flooded or is not starting for whatever reason I switch over to roto cuz I'm lazy :p

Pull start ftw, i have pull starter on both of my rigs =)

love when I'm pulling it. haha

Thought I add my next update which was disappointing at first but had a happy ending :)

Ok got my new switch and what a disappointment, the switch is half the size of my original one.... aaarrrggghhhhhhhh!! :angry:
Anyway so I started thinking what can I do to fix my switch with what I got, can I swap the DPDT bottom part, can I swap the top etc etc.
What I did first I literally toke the new DPDT switch completely apart, toke me a minute or 2 to figure it out but they are actually really easy to disassemble. Basically to give you an idea the top part where its silver is one whole piece which holds the red square box with terminals sticking out at the bottom, Its holds together by just 4 hooks sticking inwards at the bottom bent at a right angle and thats it, all you do is straighten the hooks and pull the side plates apart and hey presto you've disassembled it. I did the same to my original faulty switch, when the 2 parts separated it separated the toggle inside and you can also see a metal plate of some sort going across which sits at the bottom inside the red box. I figured the plate probably engages the starter by touching the terminal inside below at the bottom, so i toke the plate out for a closer look. What I saw was from what I could tell the problem to my faulty switch, under the plate that I toke out it had gone all black, looks like when the 2 plates touched it must of sparked a bit leaving some smokey residue, I cleaned this with some contact cleaner and now I could see the terminal the plate touches to make it start. I gave it a test run by just dropping the plate that goes across and making them touch together by pushing them together with a screwdriver and it worked...... YAHOOO :D
So I put it all back together now and it works fine.
From what I can see this could be a common issue with a lot of DPDT switches and if this is the problem it can be fixed.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback and suggestions

Added a picture of a DPDT, its a different one but will give an idea on how to disassemble

Attachments

• 20120302_221443.jpg
    20120302_221443.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Back