Dumbest RC related thing you have ever done?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being dyslexic I do a lot of stupid poop repeatedly. Such as putting knuckles on a rc only to find out they’re on backwards when I put the tires on at the end. Pull it apart and redo it. Then find out they’re upside down and on the wrong side, then doing it all over again to find out they’re on the right side but upside down, then we move on to backwards and on the right side. Eventually it looks like the directions. Sucks when I do it with gears.

Good thing I like this hobby. It usually takes me 3 times as long to build a kit then others lmao. But I do gain experience from it!
I haven't fitted that many parts, but I do some dumb stuff too, mostly like "How does this dang thing come out/go in??" and "So if I tighten this screw too much, the steering binds, but too loose and there's too much slop". How many ways can knuckles go on? 🤣🤣 Be careful when doing diffs, you put them in with both crowns of the diffs facing the same side, your car won't drive forward, it'll either try to push itself together, or pull the chassis apart!

Took my new 1/8 scale late model to the races. I was trying to get it started and it wouldn't start for some practice laps. I finally figured out I put some good ole southern sweet ice tea in the tank instead of fuel. The fuel and the tea were very similar in color. Once I figured it out I rinsed it out and it fired right up! DEDEDE! Went on to win the A main on its maiden race. SWEET!

Took my new 1/8 scale late model to the races. I was trying to get it started and it wouldn't start for some practice laps. I finally figured out I put some good ole southern sweet ice tea in the tank instead of fuel. The fuel and the tea were very similar in color. Once I figured it out I rinsed it out and it fired right up! DEDEDE! Went on to win the A main on its maiden race. SWEET!
I'm not even going to ask how the iced tea got in there...do you store your ice tea in fuel bottles? 🤣🤣 Perhaps all you Nitro guys ought to try that trick, maybe ice tea as pre-run oil gives your car an extra performance gain! 🤣🤣

I'm not even going to ask how the iced tea got in there...do you store your ice tea in fuel bottles? 🤣🤣 Perhaps all you Nitro guys ought to try that trick, maybe ice tea as pre-run oil gives your car an extra performance gain! 🤣🤣
Two jugs with a brown liquid in it. ( the fuel I was using was brown in color) I poured the tea in my filler bottle. As far as a performance increase it's the caffeine and that's my story and I sticking to it:rolleyes:

I caught the snap on xmaxx on fire while it was in the back of my Excursion. I had it plugged in to a cheap china charger & also admittedly had no clue what I was doing at the time.
BIG Whump,huge fireball but I ripped it out and threw it into the pond I was next to while running an RC boat. I was fortunate that I wore my brown pants that day.

Attachments

• 20210303_081100.jpg
    20210303_081100.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 37
I caught the snap on xmaxx on fire while it was in the back of my Excursion. I had it plugged in to a cheap china charger & also admittedly had no clue what I was doing at the time.
BIG Whump,huge fireball but I ripped it out and threw it into the pond I was next to while running an RC boat. I was fortunate that I wore my brown pants that day.
Brown pants should be standard for novices! ;) Sorry about the loss though.

Brown pants should be standard for novices! ;) Sorry about the loss though.
Only the body and one battery was lost,I drowned it in time. It still runs good and got rebodied with a yard sale barbie camper. It's taken quite a beating since then.

Attachments

• 20201027_145258.jpg
    20201027_145258.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 33
Two jugs with a brown liquid in it. ( the fuel I was using was brown in color) I poured the tea in my filler bottle. As far as a performance increase it's the caffeine and that's my story and I sticking to it:rolleyes:
Oh, next time have a piece of tape on each, one reading "Nitro Fuel" and the other saying "Iced Tea - Only for Human Consumption"!

I mean, if caffeine give us humans a "performance boost", then it should do the same for cars, right? 🤣🤣

Did the exaust smell faintly of tea?

This weekend my son and I attended a RC Touring Car Competition, I had some issues with my car and was very busy fixing and adjusting setup between the races. So just before a races I rushed making my car ready and connected the battery in the wrong order (plus to minus) and blew up the ESC right in the pit with a loud bang!!

That's a common rookie mistake as we use 5mm bullet connectors, but to avoid that I have made one of the leads so short that it can only reach the "correct hole" on the battery, so how I managed to connect it wrongly is still a mystery.

This weekend my son and I attended a RC Touring Car Competition, I had some issues with my car and was very busy fixing and adjusting setup between the races. So just before a races I rushed making my car ready and connected the battery in the wrong order (plus to minus) and blew up the ESC right in the pit with a loud bang!!

That's a common rookie mistake as we use 5mm bullet connectors, but to avoid that I have made one of the leads so short that it can only reach the "correct hole" on the battery, so how I managed to connect it wrongly is still a mystery.
Oh no, I hope it wasn't a very expensive ESC! I also hope you didn't blow/short anything else! Maybe you had the wires twisted or bent, and that's how you connected it wrong. The worst thing that could've happened is shorting the LiPo, which needless to say, would be very bad!

Ouch, That will get your attention!

I once connected the fail safe to an old receiver wrong and when I lost signal it accelerated fully instead of what it should have done which is to break fully, I had to chase my car across the field where it hit a chain linked fence ha

I once connected the fail safe to an old receiver wrong and when I lost signal it accelerated fully instead of what it should have done which is to break fully, I had to chase my car across the field where it hit a chain linked fence ha
Oh dang! That must've been frustrating and possibly swear-inducing! Was this on a nitro? That reminds me, I need to figure out how do set up the fail safe on my DumboRC X6 TX/RX, it might already been enabled🤷‍♂️ I don't want a run away (I run 2 smaller scale electric rigs)! If I do, at least I'll have something to post to this thread, and hopefully not the "What Did You Break Today" thread!

Oh dang! That must've been frustrating and possibly swear-inducing! Was this on a nitro? That reminds me, I need to figure out how do set up the fail safe on my DumboRC X6 TX/RX, it might already been enabled🤷‍♂️ I don't want a run away (I run 2 smaller scale electric rigs)! If I do, at least I'll have something to post to this thread, and hopefully not the "What Did You Break Today" thread!
It was yeah, about 40mph across the field haha I soon upgraded my controller to dumbo x6 and get about 500m range now and a built in fail safe. For some reason the old cars would lock up hard left and accelerate if they lost signal

It was yeah, about 40mph across the field haha I soon upgraded my controller to dumbo x6 and get about 500m range now and a built in fail safe. For some reason the old cars would lock up hard left and accelerate if they lost signal
The DumboRC RX/TX is an awesome basher radio, and it's affordable! The X6 is the best version, as it has two more channels, with the 6th channel being an optional gyro (the gyro comes turned off, (vs. the X4, which is about $8 cheaper, but has 4 channels, and no gyro) you press the little bind button that's recessed in the side of the receiver 3 times, or one time for 3 seconds, I can't remember which.

But anyway, yeah it's awesome, great response time, on par with some race radios (the slightly slower ones), and crazy long range, farther than I can see (I haven't bothered to test the range myself). I've done a few DIY "upgrades" to mine, mainly a phone bracket mount for recording some runs, and a simple one-hand-driving steering wheel extension. I'm wondering if anyone would like to see a post on that :)

Interesting, wonky fail-safe? That's all I can think of that would cause that, other than possibly incorrectly set servo end-points and trim.

Dumbest RC things to my name:

A while back I tried taking a jump with my Yeti Jr. over what I thought would make a good ramp (dirt mound). I misjudged the attack angle and snapped my bumper at the base of the mound🤣.

Also a wheel flew off doing 40 down the street with my Arrma Vorteks...after being told to threadlock that exact wheel.

Dumbest RC things to my name:

A while back I tried taking a jump with my Yeti Jr. over what I thought would make a good ramp (dirt mound). I misjudged the attack angle and snapped my bumper at the base of the mound🤣.

Also a wheel flew off doing 40 down the street with my Arrma Vorteks...after being told to threadlock that exact wheel.
Too steep of a jump, huh? That must've been kinda brutal, the car's barreling down on the jump, starts the transition, but then *SNAP* it stops dead, and the frumpy bumpy is GONE! 🤣🤣 That's one of the reasons why I don't send my cars of any older jump-like thing, I think it through (mostly)! Hopefully that bumper wasn't too expensive.

Wha' happened?! Did you not tighten the nut down all the way (but don't overdo it and crush with drive pin or wheel hex) Did it do 20 cartwheels?

Too steep of a jump, huh? That must've been kinda brutal, the car's barreling down on the jump, starts the transition, but then *SNAP* it stops dead, and the frumpy bumpy is GONE! 🤣🤣 That's one of the reasons why I don't send my cars of any older jump-like thing, I think it through (mostly)! Hopefully that bumper wasn't too expensive.

Wha' happened?! Did you not tighten the nut down all the way (but don't overdo it and crush with drive pin or wheel hex) Did it do 20 cartwheels?
Actually it just kept driving in a perfect straight line while the wheel just flew across the street🤣🤣 and the Yeti's 1/18 scale so a new bumber was like 7 bucks but Horizon gave it to me for free (as well as new steel front axles and steel driveshaft when broke those later🤣).

dumbest rc thing i seen was this total noob.. said he knew all about lipo cut a unneeded connector off cutting both + and negative wires at same time seen a small spark and a small puff of smoke 3 seconds later herd the dreaded lipo hiss told the guy to get that battery outside fast. use his pliers he barely made it to doors 10 feet away ..lipo left a great burn mark on sidewalk lasted for years..what a clown he was first and last time seen that guy..lol

Back