Dumbest RC related thing you have ever done?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems, buying an HSP buggy ! Not the best ! But..... if I hadn't started with an HSP I wouldn't be enjoying all the others I have now !
Great site, thanks for having me.

It seems, buying an HSP buggy ! Not the best ! But..... if I hadn't started with an HSP I wouldn't be enjoying all the others I have now !
Great site, thanks for having me.
Thank you for the riposte !

I was wondering what was going on. I started a thread about this last year. I thought this was it lol. @NCNitro can we merge this into the thread in general chaos please.

I was wondering what was going on. I started a thread about this last year. I thought this was it lol. @NCNitro can we merge this into the thread in general chaos please.
Hello, I am a complete NOOB when it comes to FORUMS; but have been doing RC since the very early 60's. You are SPOT-ON about merging the two THREADS. I just do not know how to do it ! Would a FORUM MODERATOR be able to help? This THREAD is very useful for people like me. Do you know of anyone in GENERAL CHAOS who could help? For what it is worth, CHAOS is an Ancient Greek word used to describe the UNFORMED STUFF that GOD used to form the Universe. Is there anyone in GC building or running a +50 Mev particle accelerator ? Maybe there is someone in GC tinkering with Nikola Tesla's Wireless Transmission of sizeable amounts of raw electrical power ( e.g. a few billion kilowatts ), and cheap easy to fabricate and safe room temp SUPERCONDUCTORS ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconductivity ) ? Besides RC, have a personal fascination with RADIOASTRONOMY, THE GRAND UNIFIED FIELD THEORY ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Unified_Theory ) along with Einstein's SPOOKY INTERACTIONS ( https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00120-6#:~:text=Albert Einstein famously said that,his death, experiments confirmed this. ), and other esoteric high energy physics oddities.

I thought this thread kind of doubled somewhere.

Why do we have two of these threads?
Fight to the death, this forum is only big enough for ONE "Stupidest/Dumbest RC Thing You've Done" thread! 🤣🤣 Just kidding!

Well, both threads have different stuff on them, so I think each one has it's place, nobody go and remove one of them!

And like @StoopidOme said, this bizzare species called "humans" do lots of questionable actions...🤣

Yestready I was fitting my ESC fan and had to unscrew the chassis brace for clearance, my son was crying to go and drive the car....

1-2-3 up and downs and the body was pooping out wtf? The 4th time the spur gear gave in :eek:

View attachment 146328

the screws for the chassis brace holds the differtential also OPS!

Worst part is that I dont have a spare one and weekend fun is lost!
So you gave it a few laps, without the chassis brace, which allowed the chassis to flex, and the diff to come loose? Dang, that sucks! On my buggy, you basically need the top deck/brace in for it to work, as the ESC sits on the brace!

I'm sure I've done worse things over the years but this would be the most recent. Met up last weekend at the park with a buddy from work. I brought my outcast and he had a kraton. Both of us using flysky GT5's. We took a short brake, I picked up what I thought was my transmitter and ran his car straight into the side of my Lexus. Broke his shock tower and dented my door, the whole time staring at my outcast wondering why it wasn't responding. Oops
Oof man...that could happen to me, especially because I have one of the most, if not the most popular budget basher radio for my buggy, the DumboRC X6! Except I have no one to bash with (not really, anyway, none of my friends own RCs yet, and the random people I have met either ran Arrma stuff, or the one other guy just straight out walked out on me, we were supposed to have a little blast in a parking lot).

Other than that, my Dumbo has some custom, handmade mods (like all my cars...🤣🤣), which consists of a hot-glued on phone bracket (for recording crappy footage that I never upload 🤣🤣), a DIY steering wheel extension for one handed driving (cut down thumb tack and hot glue...do any of you want to see my mods on the radio?), and some tape with Sharpie ticks under the cover, to mark my dial settings for steering trim, servo EPA, and one for the gyro dial on top of the radio.

It's cool that your co-worker is into RC, no less has a similar Arrma rig! I've seen 2 Arrma Outcast 8s', which is the most I've seen of one vehicle, "in the wild" (ie. in person and not online), I've seen a Typhon (not sure if it was 4s or 6s), two crawlers from a distance (willing to bet at least one of them was a TRX-4), and that guy that walked out on me had a....possibly a Traxxas or Arrma mashup? I think it was built from parts of multiple different cars.

I'll bet both of you were a bit pissed...a dent in your car door, and he's done bashing for the day, before he even started! Did you get that dent pulled out?
Yeah, sometimes I thought this was my thread, and that's why I respond a lot this thread 🤣🤣 How do you "merge" two threads, what happens? I think it'll be easier to just leave the threads be, two threads won't hurt! I know you're all about not duplicating threads, but still.
I thought this thread kind of doubled somewhere.
I get confused sometimes too, thinking this is my thread!

I never held a car and remote in the same hand rashing my arm, left the car on to kill a $100 lipo, spun a live axle by drill to break it in only to let go and see a bearing go past 50 feet 4 months ago, hit my self with a car, let a new engine have a smoke, or zip tie and paperclip 10 parts of driveshaft to mske an extended one! Nope havent done anything rc related like that. 😁😂🤣

Oof man...that could happen to me, especially because I have one of the most, if not the most popular budget basher radio for my buggy, the DumboRC X6! Except I have no one to bash with (not really, anyway, none of my friends own RCs yet, and the random people I have met either ran Arrma stuff, or the one other guy just straight out walked out on me, we were supposed to have a little blast in a parking lot).

Other than that, my Dumbo has some custom, handmade mods (like all my cars...🤣🤣), which consists of a hot-glued on phone bracket (for recording crappy footage that I never upload 🤣🤣), a DIY steering wheel extension for one handed driving (cut down thumb tack and hot glue...do any of you want to see my mods on the radio?), and some tape with Sharpie ticks under the cover, to mark my dial settings for steering trim, servo EPA, and one for the gyro dial on top of the radio.

It's cool that your co-worker is into RC, no less has a similar Arrma rig! I've seen 2 Arrma Outcast 8s', which is the most I've seen of one vehicle, "in the wild" (ie. in person and not online), I've seen a Typhon (not sure if it was 4s or 6s), two crawlers from a distance (willing to bet at least one of them was a TRX-4), and that guy that walked out on me had a....possibly a Traxxas or Arrma mashup? I think it was built from parts of multiple different cars.

I'll bet both of you were a bit pissed...a dent in your car door, and he's done bashing for the day, before he even started! Did you get that dent pulled out?
There seems to be a lot of guys local to my area that track race but not a lot of basher guys. At least, none that want to play with me :cry:. There's 2 guys at work that are into it, but only because I dragged them in by letting them play with my Xmaxx. 10 minutes of that and they were both sold. One of them learned fast and seems to be pretty good at repairing his own stuff. The other guy not so much. I end up fixing a lot of his bad landings for him :rolleyes:. I hope he gets better soon.....

I hear good things about the DumboRC stuff. Do you like it? I'd like to see the radio mods. I like seeing other peoples ingenuity. Gives me ideas. I need to make a thumb extension so I can drive one handed a little easier. Sometimes I just don't want to put my beer down, you know?

I did get my dent fixed. I work at a dealership and we have a body shop on site. I fixed the PDR guys A.C. and he made the dent disappear. Gotta love the barter system. We both had just got the FSGT5's and have since added stickers so we can tell them apart.

Have you tried facebook to find people to bash with? I personally don't do social media but I hear there are a lot of RC groups established on there. Might be able to find a group to run with.

Is there a known reason why people get the deer in the headlights look around RC cars? Or, is it just me? I recently clocked my self in the head watching my Slash off a jump, yet again. I can't seem to learn not to stand in front of my cars when I'm running them. Recently, i glued 3 of my fingers to an SCT tire trying to use fishing line to belt it (I have also glued a tire to my pant leg doing the same thing). First run of my custom built Arrma 3S build, right after i swapped motors in it, without testing it, only to have it fly into a pond and ruin the BLX100 ESC i just installed, because the motor was reversed. My all time personal best has to be though, smashing a side window in my Durango jumping an Arrma Granite 3S off a snowbank because the Durango was too close, and i didnt realize just how quick the Granite could move on 3S (it was my first 3S 4WD anything, and it was the first time i ran it). Its a good thing they offer glass coverage. I could write a book on the many ways, RC and non-RC related i have broken windows in my vehicles. Hood latches failing on older trucks, ratchet straps breaking and sending a 4 wheeler through a back window, target shooting with a bow and arrow and somehow shot the windshield out of my Monte Carlo., had the windshield just fall out of my Jetta on a hard stop. I have also underestimated a Losi 22S on 3S on snow and ice, only to have it get traction and run head first at full speed into a pile of ice. I got lucky though, since it only broke a linkage, the bulkhead, and both arms. My GF has since told me, i should stick to 2S, while running her Bandit on 3S on snow and ice and having no issues. However, i got payback in a way for that, because she recently ran her Bandit on 3S, at a skate park, when it was 70 degrees F out, and managed to completely destroy it. Broke the chassis in half, destroyed the body, broke the steering linkage, trashed the front bulkhead. By the time she assesed all the damage, since she somehow also managed to strip the diff and blow both axles, i told her just buy a new one and salvage all the aluminum TRX parts from hers. She bought a Rustler instead. Lets see how long that lasts. She buys Traxxas 2WD's to purposely destroy, is what it seems like. So far, she has completely killed two Slash's, 3 Stampedes, two Bandit's, and one Rustler 4WD. Luckily, i find them cheap on Ebay quite easily, or we would be way beyond broke, or, at least, she would be. Last one, as a lot of you know, i buy HSP kits, and build them how i want them. Recently, i built a Rally car, but, used the wrong hexes, which made the wheels stick out too much, and the wheel nuts not to be tight enough. I go ripping across a parking lot testing it, only to have 2 wheels come flying at me, one vanish, and one get completely ruined when the hex stripped.

There seems to be a lot of guys local to my area that track race but not a lot of basher guys. At least, none that want to play with me :cry:. There's 2 guys at work that are into it, but only because I dragged them in by letting them play with my Xmaxx. 10 minutes of that and they were both sold. One of them learned fast and seems to be pretty good at repairing his own stuff. The other guy not so much. I end up fixing a lot of his bad landings for him :rolleyes:. I hope he gets better soon.....

I hear good things about the DumboRC stuff. Do you like it? I'd like to see the radio mods. I like seeing other peoples ingenuity. Gives me ideas. I need to make a thumb extension so I can drive one handed a little easier. Sometimes I just don't want to put my beer down, you know?

I did get my dent fixed. I work at a dealership and we have a body shop on site. I fixed the PDR guys A.C. and he made the dent disappear. Gotta love the barter system. We both had just got the FSGT5's and have since added stickers so we can tell them apart.

Have you tried facebook to find people to bash with? I personally don't do social media but I hear there are a lot of RC groups established on there. Might be able to find a group to run with.
Oh, boo-hoo! Consider yourself lucky though, you at least have RC guys to chat with, I have no one to do that with, in person, here! :(

If I were a racer, and you offered me a chance to try the mighty Xmaxx, I'd be over there in a heartbeat! In "10 minutes they were sold", and maybe a basher or two were also sold that day, by Horizon or Traxxas, ect.! 🤣🤣

The DumboRC is great, what you get for the price is GREAT! The range, response time, 6 channels, a gyro (not industry leading, but it works!), the simplicity, you can control tanks with it too, use it as a controller for some games (via the discreet little port on the side), and so on, for $40 or less? It used to be even cheaper, but inflation, the pandemic, ect.! So yes, I do like it! Oh and BTW, it's not too heavy either, takes 4 AAs, unlike some Nitro radios that take 8 FREAKING AAs, absurd! It has a nice heft to it, despite not being too heavy, the build quality is good, not too much creak and flex. The throttle and steering controls feel smooth to pull/turn, respectively. And that price, man!

Very well, I'll snap a pic or two, hopefully tomorrow! It's pretty bodge-y, but works! The thumb steering is for when I'm carrying/holding other things, so I can drive back to the car or house, or something. Not for beer, but that could work for you! Who needs those custom thumb-steering wheels when you can make your own in 15 minutes!

Dent pullers are pretty cool, I heard that some hotglue a rod or something to the center of the dent, then pull real hard in a specific way, and pull the dent out, then remove the rod and glue? Everybody loves stickers, am I right?

I don't do much social media either, I don't do FB actually. It's a rabbit hole, I've heard, once you get into it, it's hard to come out! I'll consider it though, and there are some great Wltoys groups on there, and I have a Wltoys 144001, so that helps?
Selling my customized cz4 super to @slowngreen 😂
At least it didn't go to some random dude on the internet, and you can always *cough* pester *cough* SlowGreen about its condition, and if he's been taking care of it!

And good think you didn't sell it to someone names "FastPollution" 🤣🤣
I never held a car and remote in the same hand rashing my arm, left the car on to kill a $100 lipo, spun a live axle by drill to break it in only to let go and see a bearing go past 50 feet 4 months ago, hit my self with a car, let a new engine have a smoke, or zip tie and paperclip 10 parts of driveshaft to mske an extended one! Nope havent done anything rc related like that. 😁😂🤣
Oh yeah, totally not, nothing to see or read here!

Why were you "breaking in" a live axle? Axles need breaking in? That's news to me...and I'm not even gonna ask how that driveshaft thing worked out, that's bodge-y, even for me!

Last edited:
I don't do much social media either, I don't do FB actually. It's a rabbit hole, I've heard, once you get into it, it's hard to come out! I'll consider it though, and there are some great Wltoys groups on there, and I have a Wltoys 144001, so that helps?
It can be, if you let it get that way. I know people who it seems like they live on social media. Me, on the other hand, i only use it for the local RC group periodically, Marketplace when I'm on the hunt for something, which isnt often, and messenger to chat with my brother because he is 19 hours away, and hates talking on the phone. I might spend a total of an hour a week on FB, and i dont use any of the other social media apps.

At least it didn't go to some random dude on the internet, and you can always *cough* pester *cough* SlowGreen about its condition, and if he's been taking care of it!

And good think you didn't sell it to someone names "FastPollution" 🤣🤣
Obviously you don't know @slowngreen very well. He probably kept it about 2-3 weeks, at the most. That's about as long as he keeps any rc lol.

My big mistake was giving my 76 year old father the remote to my xmaxx. He drove right at me into my leg. I thought for sure it would break my leg. He just smiled and said "i wasn't that close to you".

It can be, if you let it get that way. I know people who it seems like they live on social media. Me, on the other hand, i only use it for the local RC group periodically, Marketplace when I'm on the hunt for something, which isnt often, and messenger to chat with my brother because he is 19 hours away, and hates talking on the phone. I might spend a total of an hour a week on FB, and i dont use any of the other social media apps.
I see, you're good at moderation! The thing is, well, I'll tell you: Whatever I'm interested in (mainly my hobbies), I have a tendency to really get into it, and be a part of it. Basically, I don't just "do" my hobbies now and then, a weekend here, skip a week there, ect. I tend to do it more than that, if you get what I mean. I'm dedicated, you could say.

So I really don't want to get sucked into that kind of social media, ya know? Somethings it's better to never try and regret, (you know what I mean by "those things", smoking, drugs, ect.). So I might give it a try, but probably not.

I also user Offer Up, and sometimes Ebay. With the latter, you *can* score some good deals, but there's a lot of crap on there selling for a lot. I've spent hours sifting through that sutff, tryin' to find a good deal. So nowadays, I just search for what I'm looking for, use as many filters as I can, and go with it. Offer Up is a little better, but still you get people selling "barely used" Traxxas Stampedes for $150...
Obviously you don't know @slowngreen very well. He probably kept it about 2-3 weeks, at the most. That's about as long as he keeps any rc lol.
I mean, he isn't a man of many words like me 🤣🤣 That's crazy! I keep my RCs for, uh, eternity?

Wasn't SlowGreen into comp crawling a few years back (and I saw his thread on his new-found love for the famous SCX24)? I don't know how well you can rank in comps when you keep your thousand dollar plus rig for less than a month! 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Back