do i own a lemon or am i just pathetic?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry bro, but this hobby INCLUDES wrenchin. Youll get to like it beleive me and dont worrie about those chores:puke:

couple of months? like 3 or 4? and thats with the reassurance that there is an almost certain chance yours will run

its been over 60 months!!!! and i still dont have it up and running, not to mention that the only reassurance i get is that I'm gonna be taking it apart again very, very soon.

get the good with the bad right?? I'm expecting some damn good fun times with this. and i mean damn good fun

You have to remember that in the past 60 months there have been some HUGE improvements to our hobby. Comparing rc's of today and rcs of yesterday isn't fair to you or your rig.

Stay with it. We'll get you through. You'll be chasing Kangaroos in no time.

Ok, if you really wanted to help he get through, youll help me with this last question, how do i take the rear bearing out of the engine? I'm gona replace both bearings, its in due time anyway

Last edited:
Disassemble the engine completely (head, sleeve, piston, backplate, even the carb) so that it is just the crankcase and bearings. This includes any o-rings that are down in the intake, and clean out ALL fuel/oil.

Now, get a good heat gun, and with the gun on high, hold the engine in a pair of LARGE pliers with gloves, and get the block good and hot. Hold the heat gun at the back-plate area of the engine facing inwards, count to ten, then rap the engine on a wooden surface that you don't care about, backplate opening down. The bearing should literally fall right out. Repeat process to install new bearing, using the crankshaft to pull the bearing into place.

Disassemble the engine completely (head, sleeve, piston, backplate, even the carb) so that it is just the crankcase and bearings. This includes any o-rings that are down in the intake, and clean out ALL fuel/oil.

Now, get a good heat gun, and with the gun on high, hold the engine in a pair of LARGE pliers with gloves, and get the block good and hot. Hold the heat gun at the back-plate area of the engine facing inwards, count to ten, then rap the engine on a wooden surface that you don't care about, backplate opening down. The bearing should literally fall right out. Repeat process to install new bearing, using the crankshaft to pull the bearing into place.

ohhhhh, so its taking advantage of thermal expansion, just like when putting the piston back in. i had to find out the latter the hard way. thanks

edit: yep, got it out. i dont have a heat gun, but the stove with lockable pliers works like a charm.

Last edited:
ok, ok, very, very last question, i promise.

do you get engine bearings from normal bearing shops, or do i have to get them only at hobby shops, mainly because the bearings need to withstand constant high velocity. i dont know if 'normal' bearings can withstand such high speeds

I'm assuming it's an OFNA .21 force engine. I would be able to help you there but unfortunately there are like 4 different force .21's. I can provide a link to the search page and have you pick the engine that looks like yours. Then you should be able to follow the links on the page to the bearings. (tower is good for the related links)

Then again, you said it's a couple years old so none of these engines may be yours. Either way, here's the link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0097p?MANUFACTURER=OFN&FVSEARCH=FORCE

EDIT: on the other hand, it may just be better to buy a new engine :)

Typically, you get the bearings from the hobby shop. Your best bet is to stick with the maker of your engine, for tolerance reasons.

No need to stop the questions. That's what we do here.
FastEddy. He's the man with the bearings.
Click on his link on the main page or the front forum page.

but i live in australia. its kind of stupid shipping over bearings when the shipping price exceeds the actual bearing costs. thats why i wanted to know if i could buy it at my local bearing shop.

Ooh, that's right. Sorry, forgot, mate.
There should be a hobby shop somewhere there that will mail it to you if it's too far to travel to. Call them on the telly and ask, or find them on the internet.
As far as the bearing shop, as long as you let them know the RPM that's expected from it, they should be able to set you up, or recommend a place to get it.

thanks, but I'm interested in anybody else having a ofna force .21 engine, pull start, rear exhaust, sg shaft, 3.46cc, 16.6mm bore, 16.0mm stroke 1.9PS @ 30 000rpm, operating at 3-35 krmp, 391.5g.

it took a while to find the specs, and the engine from researching, seems to be very rare. only found it on two uk websites. I'm interested to know more. I've never run it long enough to find out the operating temp, so if anybody has some info out there, any info would be appreciated

It is a bit of an older engine, but you can email Ofna or the guys at Nitrohouse (they're in the same building as Ofna). They'll be able to cross-reference the engine with others, and get you some part numbers for the bearings.

Keep asking questions! the Only stupid question is the one you don't ask. All the guys on this site were newbies at one time (even Rolex who's as old as dirt). Even the "old timers" ask for help all of the time. It's better than beating your head against the wall because the friggin' bearing won't fit in the race.

lol ok, ok (I'm holding my arms up now) i submit:surrender; ill ask questions, just stop exclaiming everything. everyone all of a sudden gets all cranky when i say i dont want to hassle everyone as much. if all you 'old timers' are so bored with the world, you might want to step outside your tiny granny flats and walk around the streets, unless you feel like complaining thats its too cold and windy or whatever... lol, you oldies crack me up. :LoL:

Last edited: