Dark shock oil.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

militarymaxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Doing a re-build on my shocks (mugens) and the oil inside was very dark. Charcoal/graphite gray dark. I pay close attention after each run to the outside to make sure nothing is leaking and they are always fine. The track conditions have been very dusty lately. Is this normal, is dust just sneaking by the O-rings making things dirty ? Thanks.

Originally posted by militarymaxx
Doing a re-build on my shocks (mugens) and the oil inside was very dark. Charcoal/graphite gray dark. I pay close attention after each run to the outside to make sure nothing is leaking and they are always fine. The track conditions have been very dusty lately. Is this normal, is dust just sneaking by the O-rings making things dirty ? Thanks.

Yes, you'll usually get some fine particles through the o-rings. I usually change out my shock oil before a race on my MRX-3 on-road car. For my swift, I usually change the oil more often cause of the dirt.

HP, Thanks for the warm and fuzzy. I paid good money for these mugens ($100 for the set) and just needed the re-assurance.
Going to bump the fluid up to 40 wt (got a rebound/dampening problem). Again, Thanks.

I have found that the Blue MIP O-rings work best. Use some Green Slime on them before you install them as well as on your shafts. It should help a bit.

Consider it done. I never thought the ball ends would wear out either but there is alot of slop in them. Got plenty of new ones lying around.

If your Balls are wearing out it means your riding hard and having fun. Go Boy!

If your Balls are wearing out it means your riding hard and having fun.

Brother, that should be a bumper sticker for R/Cers !!

OMG that would make quite the bumper sticker, not too sure many people would understand though.

Back