Custom Header Clamp

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
A couple of weeks ago while doing some jumps for my church I was having an issue with the header spring still allowing the header to move and pull the coupler off the pipe. So today I had a little extra time so I went to the shop and made a custom clamp.

Basically it's just a small muffler clamp made to fit my STS .28 Here's a pic of the finished clamp and after it was installed. I bet the header won't move now :D

header-clamp1.jpg

header-clamp2.jpg

header-clamp3.jpg

Looks nice, although, you may cause your header to bend/crack (like traxxas bolt on headers) or your header seal to be more prone to cutting and leaking.

You may want to try to just make a support for the pipe somewhere in the middle of the pipe. That's what I did on mine to combat the issue. That combined with two headers springs and now I have no unwanted movement.

You did a nice job milling it out though. Hope it works for you.

If not, maybe you can mill out a nice wire clamp to make a hook like I did:
2009-1223-SavagePipeHanger.jpg

Mine's just a piece of heavy wire with a eyelet on it so I could bolt it to the chassis and fuel tubing on it to keep it from rubbing a hole in the pipe. Solid as a rock though and so far, no issues because of it.

Using nylon reinforced silicone tubing for a coupler helps make it solid as well.

Nice. I think as long as there is enough play between the header and the pipe it'll be totally fine.

I agree, the coupler should provide for any necessary movement, it's not like it's a one piece pipe. Very nice work Randy.

Having the coupler and the fact that the front pipe support is a spring,I think it'll be fine.

I wish I could fit a header like yours Olds.

That looks a lot like the Warhead header pipe. I also think that as long as you have a bit of wiggle it should be ok and not break anything unless the header took a hit pulling it rearward. They you might have a problem. Nice work as usual Randy!
EDIT** I just got to thinking if you notched the RHS of that clamp.. if the header DID take a hit it would pop the clamp off and might not break anything. Just a though

Last edited:
Having the coupler and the fact that the front pipe support is a spring,I think it'll be fine.

I wish I could fit a header like yours Olds.

Your probably right. Looks good anyway. ;)

Mines a warhead header. With the 1" extended HB chassis, it gave me the room. With the stock header, my LRP tuned like garbage. But, with the warhead header, the back of the pipe was further away from the chassis causing it to flop around more which is why I added the hanger. I really should find a better header that has a smooth curve like a buggy.

Racer,

What kind of machine did you make the actual bracket on? It looks like the hole was done with a boring bar on a mill or lathe. The outer looks like you cut it on a band saw though...

Racer is a machinist by trade so he has all the cool toys at his disposal. Alas I only have a dremel...lol

Racer,

What kind of machine did you make the actual bracket on? It looks like the hole was done with a boring bar on a mill or lathe. The outer looks like you cut it on a band saw though...

A bandsaw?!?! It ain't that friggin rough! It was done cnc on the side edge of small piece of stock clamped in vice. It was unsupported and the profile cut within .02 of the bottom then cut through. I filed the tit off where it broke out of the stock.

Racer is a machinist by trade so he has all the cool toys at his disposal. Alas I only have a dremel...lol

There's a lot you can do with a dremel. I made a real nice servo plate years ago out of carbon fiber with a dremel. Turned out beautiful.

Ahh, I gues it is the file marks I see in the last pic that made me thought the outer edge was done on a bandsaw. What kind of CNC was it cut on? I am in the process of converting my second mill to CNC.

Oh yeah I know I use mine for a lot too. I am also pretty handy with it as well but I still drool over the cool CNC tools that I will never have..lol.

Ahh, I gues it is the file marks I see in the last pic that made me thought the outer edge was done on a bandsaw. What kind of CNC was it cut on? I am in the process of converting my second mill to CNC.

Nope,the filing was on the radius leading into the center hole. The marks are where it started vibrating during the final cutout.

The mill is an A-Trump 40x20 bed mill with a retro-fit Mach3 controller. Not my favorite controller to say the least.

A Dremel is very handy to have but I prefer my die grinder. Virtually the same but pneumatic instead of electric.

You have a 40X20 bed mill at your house???? Mine is a 24X9 (travels) 34X9 (bed size)with a Mach 3 retrofit as well. I know what you mean about the software.

What program are you using to model and write you code with? Also do you have an ATC and coolant running?

Ahh, well if you need help with code or drawings I might be able to help. Have you been to cnczone.com? I am eartaker on there as well. send me a PM if you want help.

Back