Crashed HPI Savage X 4.6, what should I do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Sadly today my savage x 4.6 locked up and it crashed into a wall. Here are pics of the damage. How do you guys recommend I fix it? What’s the cheapest way?

I guess just look around for the parts and buy what I can find?

Seems like I need a new shock, a control arm, and whatever else in the pics. I’m not really a expert so looking for recommendations!

I don’t bash or drive my truck hard or anything so I don’t think I need to get metal suspension parts, I kinda want the cheapest route to get it fixed

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    433.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    386.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1819.JPG
    IMG_1819.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1823.JPG
    IMG_1823.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 125
Dry cell batteries are the worst thing. A waste of money.

Dry cell batteries are the worst thing. A waste of money.
thx for the reply! do u think its a battery issue? I'm running a 6v hump pack and then new aa in the remote. I'm a n00b but it felt like some type of interference was going on

You should be using 100% rechargeable batteries and a fail safe. Which would have prevented the problem. The old am radio you have doesn't have fail safe but you can add it. Fm and 2.4 is much better.

You should be using 100% rechargeable batteries and a fail safe. Which would have prevented the problem. The old am radio you have doesn't have fail safe but you can add it. Fm and 2.4 is much better.
ahh kk thanks a ton for the help! from the sounds of it, you think its just a battery issue? because in the past I've always use new aa batteries and never had a problem. I'm thinking my radio/remote etc is getting old and maybe interfering or not working properly

I think you may need a new dogbone. I myself prefer dry cell on the receiver as rechargeable has a sharp drop toward the end, I uses rechargeable on the transmitter as I can usually see how much juice is left. Fail safe will help only when there is enough juice left on the receiver side.

I think you may need a new dogbone. I myself prefer dry cell on the receiver as rechargeable has a sharp drop toward the end, I uses rechargeable on the transmitter as I can usually see how much juice is left. Fail safe will help only when there is enough juice left on the receiver side.
i found the dog bone. i think rn i need a new lower control arm,1 shock, and to reinstall the dog bone. anything else? thx!

You can also remove the broken a-arm and see if you will need a new hinge pin.

Dry cell batteries are the worst thing you can us for a rx battery. Everytime you change the batteries you can damage the wires and the battery holder will deteriorate over time. Use a large capacity 5 cell battery 2000 mah or more and you will be fine. A fail safe is better than nothing. It has a low voltage cut off as well and prevents a runaway. Cheap compared to all the damage it will cost now.

Don't use box store name brand rechargeable batteries! I use Tenergy brand only. The ore 100% better than box store brand.

Last edited:
Dry cell batteries are the worst thing you can us for a rx battery. Everytime you change the batteries you can damage the wires and the battery holder will deteriorate over time. Use a large capacity 5 cell battery 2000 mah or more and you will be fine. A fail safe is better than nothing. It has a low voltage cut off as well and prevents a runaway. Cheap compared to all the damage it will cost now.
Well, the battery holder is very cheap to replace, every few years, when the battery level of rechargeable falls, it does not matter if they are 2000 or 600 mah, you can potentially have a crash. Dry cells will deterate slowly and you can feel it. That is my experience after 45 years in the hobbies.

Well, the battery holder is very cheap to replace, every few years, when the battery level of rechargeable falls, it does not matter if they are 2000 or 600 mah, you can potentially have a crash. Dry cells will deterate slowly and you can feel it. That is my experience after 45 years in the hobbies.
Throw your money away and wait for a crash. I have never had a problem with Tenergy rechargeable rx batteries. They last just as long as any dry cell store brand alkaline . MAh dose make a difference I use 2600 mah and 5000 mah. I have been in this hobby for 35 yrs. I check my rx voltage every time I run. You can't do that with dry cell batteries.

Did I forget to tell you I have over 59 nitro vehicle's. I don't have time or waste money on alkaline batteries. :eek: :D

How may alkaline batteries do you use a year???? multiply that by 45 years. What happens to the dead batteries?
Temergy batteries last 1000 charges. Electricity is cheap. Multiply that by 45 years. In the life of the battery rechargeable batteries are cheaper and better for the environment.

Last edited:
Throw your money away and wait for a crash. I have never had a problem with Tenergy rechargeable rx batteries. They last just as long as any dry cell store brand alkaline . MAh dose make a difference I use 2600 mah and 5000 mah. I have been in this hobby for 35 yrs. I check my rx voltage every time I run. You can't do that with dry cell batteries.

Did I forget to tell you I have over 59 nitro vehicle's. I don't have time or waste money on alkaline batteries. :eek: :D

How may alkaline batteries do you use a year???? multiply that by 45 years. What happens to the dead batteries?
Temergy batteries last 1000 charges. Electricity is cheap. Multiply that by 45 years. In the life of the battery rechargeable batteries are cheaper and better for the environment.
It sounded like you don't know rechargeable enough, you never know when the curve and life span of rechargeable drop off until it is too late, they don't give you much warnings when they decide to have a steep curve. It only takes one crash and your have all the dry cell paid for and worse yet you injure someone.

What a shame you only have 59 vehicles and brag about it. I can't count, I am too old to keep track.

It sounded like you don't know rechargeable enough, you never know when the curve and life span of rechargeable drop off until it is too late, they don't give you much warnings when they decide to have a steep curve. It only takes one crash and your have all the dry cell paid for and worse yet you injure someone.

What a shame you only have 59 vehicles and brag about it. I can't count, I am too old to keep track.
Contrary to the fact I do. I watch my batteries carefully. I know how long they last. They haven't failed yet in 35 yrs of usage. I only use HIMH which has no memory effect. Alkaline batteries don't tell you when they die. you can't even watch the voltage drop. One bad cell in the battery and the rest drop fast causing a failure crash yet worse a injury. Mixing alkaline is bad too. You don't have that problem with rechargeable batteries. Along with a fail safe you can avoid injury and any crash. It has voltage cut off and lost signal protection to prevent any damage from the start. I guess you would rather take a chance on old alkaline batteries and no fail safe or a voltage checker . https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-Onboard...113008?hash=item4b8d3cb470:g:ClUAAOSwKVJdejas Gamble your money away with alkaline batteries.

I want the best and safest option when running gas or nitro alkaline batteries and no fail safe is the most unsafe option there is.:thumbs-down:

Last edited:
Contrary to the fact I do. I watch my batteries carefully. I know how long they last. They haven't failed yet in 35 yrs of usage. I only use HIMH which has no memory effect. Alkaline batteries don't tell you when they die. you can't even watch the voltage drop. One bad cell in the battery and the rest drop fast causing a failure crash yet worse a injury. Mixing alkaline is bad too. You don't have that problem with rechargeable batteries. Along with a fail safe you can avoid injury and any crash. It has voltage cut off and lost signal protection to prevent any damage from the start. I guess you would rather take a chance on old alkaline batteries and no fail safe or a voltage checker . https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-Onboard...113008?hash=item4b8d3cb470:g:ClUAAOSwKVJdejas Gamble your money away with alkaline batteries.

I want the best and safest option when running gas or nitro alkaline batteries and no fail safe is the most unsafe option there is.:thumbs-down:
Sorry about my ignorance of HIMH, I only know of NiMH. Most of what you says is just your opinions. Science and facts do not lie, there is a good place for dry cells. I don't know how many times rechargeable batteries died quickly, memory effects has nothing to do with how quickly the curve goes down. When Alkaline batteries started to drop, servos will start to slow but not quickly dead. When rechargeable starts to drop, you may only have a few seconds left before out of control.

Box store brand batteries are junk! There is no good place for ANY Alkaline dry cell batteries. Fact is you have NO safe guard system in place. Nothing! ZERO NADA. ZIP! At least I have rechargeable battery packs which are better than dry cell batteries, fail safe with low voltage cut off and on some a kill switch to kill motor. Which is better than NOTHING. All have provided me with a safe guard that hasn't failed me 100%. Your ignorance to try anything new proves to me you know nothing and refuse to use any type of safe guard system.

Box store brand batteries are junk! There is no good place for ANY Alkaline dry cell batteries. Fact is you have NO safe guard system in place. Nothing! ZERO NADA. ZIP! At least I have rechargeable battery packs which are better than dry cell batteries, fail safe with low voltage cut off and on some a kill switch to kill motor. Which is better than NOTHING. All have provided me with a safe guard that hasn't failed me 100%. Your ignorance to try anything new proves to me you know nothing and refuse to use any type of safe guard system
Big box stores sell good brand like Duracell, not sure you know what they are. You missed the comment I made about using rechargeable on transmitter. I am also using lipo on transmitter. Fail safe is good, I have no doubt it help. If you ever fly a plane or helicopter, failsafe is not very Failsafe.

Box store brand batteries (Duracell Energizer Rayovac) are all junk. 50% of cells are bad.. Waste of money. I only use Tenergy and the bad cell rate is 1% I don't use lipo and never will. As for heli and plane Fail safe I had never had problems. I only used PCM. Not the newer 2.4 radios. Again You don't use any safe guards for nitro. So rely on your good old alkaline batteries and AM radios to prevent a accident.

Give me some facts when you said 50% of the cells are bad, I am sure they would have gone out of business already. Maybe you believe in junk science or just dreams that you are right.

I used the batteries when they first came out and they were not true rated as labeled. After several cycles cells would fail in the charger. After 1 yr. cells would leak out or discharge or not hold a charge long.. I don't have these problems with Tenergy. They charge every time. The box store batteries are a general usage battery. The Tenergy are for high draw application tec toys and digital. I'm on my third box of 100 cells. I would never buy or use or suggest box store brand batteries again.

Last edited:
Back