Convert DR10 to SC10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdstatz

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
Thinking about a SCT for some local "Back yard brawling, grudge racing, run what you got, rubbing is racing" so far the only rules so far are 2wd and 3s max. Don't want a Slash. Seeing that ever where the DR10s are on sale *($199) I was thinking about picking up one and converting it back to a SC10. 3s and brushless.. Should be able to sell off the drag body and tires to cover SCT tires (would swap them out on a RTR anyways) and a body. About the only other thing would be bumpers and body mounts. So..... am I missing something else.... can it be be done for the $340 for the SC10

Thinking about a SCT for some local "Back yard brawling, grudge racing, run what you got, rubbing is racing" so far the only rules so far are 2wd and 3s max. Don't want a Slash. Seeing that ever where the DR10s are on sale *($199) I was thinking about picking up one and converting it back to a SC10. 3s and brushless.. Should be able to sell off the drag body and tires to cover SCT tires (would swap them out on a RTR anyways) and a body. About the only other thing would be bumpers and body mounts. So..... am I missing something else.... can it be be done for the $340 for the SC10
There are a couple options here actually. If you absolutely are set on an Associated, you can find an SC10, ProSC10, Trophy Rat or DR10 used, either locally or on eBay, or, what about a Losi 22S SCT? They can be had brushed new for around $190, and, after owning several of both SC10 and ProSC10's (i currently have 2 of each), as well as 3 Losi 22S SCT's, either one will work for what you want it for. The upside to the Losi is that you can make it 3S brushless for less than what it would cost to build a used SC10, since, all you have to do for the Losi is swap in a 3S brushless set up. The diff is already durable enough to handle 3S, since they also made a version that came 3S already, and the Losi drag car uses the same metal diff, and the only difference between the three was the electronics. I also think the 22S SCT is more durable than the SC10. The only thing you might have to do is get rid of the links, since they are the ball and socket type, and they tend to pop off once they get wore out a bit, but, you can use Traxxas captured links.

Last edited:
I think the SR10 / DR10 A-arms are shorter than the SC10 / Trophy Rat, as well as the links & dog-bones.

Bumpers, body mounts, tires and wheels, front and rear arms and links, dog bones, and, i think the rear diff is locked, so, it would need an open diff. Even if the diff isnt locked, you would be better off using the diff, idler, and top shaft and gear from the AE DR10M. Its steel, instead of aluminum and plastic like the SC10/Trophy Rat diff is. The part numbers for the diff are ASC72004, ASC72001, ASC72002, and ASC72077. You can use the internal gears, spacers, washers, O-Rings, and outdrives from the DR10/SC10/Trophy Rat diff in the DR10M diff case. Its what i did to all my associated builds (ProSC10, Trophy Rat).

There are a couple options here actually. If you absolutely are set on an Associated, you can find an SC10, ProSC10, Trophy Rat or DR10 used, either locally or on eBay, or, what about a Losi 22S SCT? They can be had brushed new for around $190, and, after owning several of both SC10 and ProSC10's (i currently have 2 of each), as well as 3 Losi 22S SCT's, either one will work for what you want it for. The upside to the Losi is that you can make it 3S brushless for less than what it would cost to build a used SC10, since, all you have to do for the Losi is swap in a 3S brushless set up. The diff is already durable enough to handle 3S, since they also made a version that came 3S already, and the Losi drag car uses the same metal diff, and the only difference between the three was the electronics. I also think the 22S SCT is more durable than the SC10. The only thing you might have to do is get rid of the links, since they are the ball and socket type, and they tend to pop off once they get wore out a bit, but, you can use Traxxas captured links.
Thanks for the insight... I'm not set on any one brand and I had looked at the Losi 22s and the Pro2 SC10. I do have a new Copperhead 10 SCT edition paired with a 1412 - 2100kv motor setting on a shelf I could put in the Losi for now... just didn't know if the transmission/ gear train would hold up to it. The Associated came with the brushless system stock.... wouldn't have to tap into my stashed parts right away.

The diff on my DR10 isn't locked, but yeah, the steel gear upgrade is worthwile. You can get a complete kit (ASC72106) from AE for around $40.

I have an SR10 (same suspension parts, shorter chassis) and a pair of DR10s though one of those has been changed to a street truck..,

lsaMxry.jpg

The diff on my DR10 isn't locked, but yeah, the steel gear upgrade is worthwile. You can get a complete kit (ASC72106) from AE for around $40.

I have an SR10 (same suspension parts, shorter chassis) and a pair of DR10s though one of those has been changed to a street truck..,

lsaMxry.jpg

thanks for the info..... great looking Ford truck.

Thanks for the insight... I'm not set on any one brand and I had looked at the Losi 22s and the Pro2 SC10. I do have a new Copperhead 10 SCT edition paired with a 1412 - 2100kv motor setting on a shelf I could put in the Losi for now... just didn't know if the transmission/ gear train would hold up to it. The Associated came with the brushless system stock.... wouldn't have to tap into my stashed parts right away.
The Losi drivetrain is pretty durable. Its the same setup they use in the Losi drag car, and I've seen videos of guys running that on 4S with just an ESC/motor swap. I had the 3S K&N truck when it was still available, and it took a lot of abuse on 3S. Oddly though, my Slash 2WD was faster in a straight line on 2S with a HW WP-10BL60 and 3650 4300KV cheap motor. I wish i still had the Losi, to see how it compares in a straight line to my Associated ProSC10 with stock Reedy electronics. Maybe someday.

lsaMxry.jpg
Nice truck. I always forget about the kit for the DR10M.

So after some careful reading and a little drinking I went ahead and order up the Losi 22c SCT while they were on sale. It just came in this afternoon. Looks good. can't wait to get it out and see how it handles......
Losi22s.jpg

and after a little more drinking I found out that Tower hobbies had the DR10 RTR's down to $169... so I order up a green on of them too.....shhhh Lori doesn't know about that one yet..... might have to keep it hidden till St. Patrick's day LOL

So after some careful reading and a little drinking I went ahead and order up the Losi 22c SCT while they were on sale. It just came in this afternoon. Looks good. can't wait to get it out and see how it handles...... View attachment 159498
and after a little more drinking I found out that Tower hobbies had the DR10 RTR's down to $169... so I order up a green on of them too.....shhhh Lori doesn't know about that one yet..... might have to keep it hidden till St. Patrick's day LOL
Good luck hiding the DR10. It's huge! Here it is next to a 6s Kraton 😉
20211120_190629.jpg

I love it when all the roland schitt/thinking/planning goes into a project, then, BAM! Things go 180°
So after some careful reading and a little drinking I went ahead and order up the Losi 22c SCT while they were on sale. It just came in this afternoon. Looks good. can't wait to get it out and see how it handles...... View attachment 159498
Those 22S SCT platforms are pretty sweet in the fact one can pretty much upgrade that thing with "top shelf" parts.:thumbs-up:😎
Now, if only Losi would offer that SCT as a kit, and sell them for around $179... I'd even get one to mess around with.

Last edited:
Good luck hiding the DR10. It's huge! Here it is next to a 6s Kraton 😉
View attachment 159499
that thing is huge..... well it's a good thing that I have all my stuff shipped to my work.... cuts down on porch pirates stealing my stuff and angary wives 🤣
I love it when all the roland schitt/thinking/planning goes into a project, then, BAM! Things go 180°

Those 22S SCT platforms are pretty sweet in the fact one can pretty much upgrade that thing with "top shelf" parts.:thumbs-up:😎
Now, if only Losi would offer that SCT as a kit, and sell them for around $179... I'd even get one to mess around with.
well they're down to 199. over at Amain at the currant time for the RTR now to see which upgrades to do first...

Last edited:

They make a kit version of it, with all race grade parts, but, its quite a bit more. http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=TLR03009 What i typically do is find them used as a slider, and then build them the way i want them, but, i do that with every RC i buy anymore.
now to see which upgrades to do first...
You might find this post about it interesting: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...2s-sct-2wd-rtr-to-be-more-compedative.114942/ There are a lot of ideas for upgrades, as well as making it race ready and more durable.

Last edited:
They make a kit version of it, with all race grade parts, but, its quite a bit more. http://www.tlracing.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=TLR03009 What i typically do is find them used as a slider, and then build them the way i want them, but, i do that with every RC i buy anymore.

You might find this post about it interesting: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...2s-sct-2wd-rtr-to-be-more-compedative.114942/ There are a lot of ideas for upgrades, as well as making it race ready and more durable.
Thanks I'll be sure to check it out...