Chubakas Traxxas Bandit Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubaka

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Parting up a Bandit over the last few months. Traxxas HD arms, RPM tranny case, Lunsford titanium hinge pins. The body is about to be masked off.

I plan on STRC blue fr/r shock towers, traxxas blue aluminum bell crank, sidewinder or mamba motor and esc. This is gonna be my start into speed demons. I plan on a drag car next.

20230407_074916.jpg

20230407_074909.jpg

Parting up a Bandit over the last few months. Traxxas HD arms, RPM tranny case, Lunsford titanium hinge pins. The body is about to be masked off.

I plan on STRC blue fr/r shock towers, traxxas blue aluminum bell crank, sidewinder or mamba motor and esc. This is gonna be my start into speed demons. I plan on a drag car next.

View attachment 163095

View attachment 163096
I want to build a Bandit some day and hop it up.

I did too and just jumped on it. Now I want a drag car to out do this one. 😆 I think woodie and buzz lightyear will be proud of it when finished. 🫠

I did too and just jumped on it. Now I want a drag car to out do this one. 😆 I think woodie and buzz lightyear will be proud of it when finished. 🫠
I always thought "RC" was modeled after the Traxxas Bandit. I am surprised Traxxas hasn't sued Pixar 🤪🤣

I always thought "RC" was modeled after the Traxxas Bandit. I am surprised Traxxas hasn't sued Pixar 🤪🤣
I always felt the same way. I thought about doing the pizza truck out of a Trail Finder 2, but I got too many projects and lack of funds. I'm just hoping they both don't gang up on me. 😐😶

Started one myself.
I plan on STRC blue fr/r shock towers, traxxas blue aluminum bell crank, sidewinder or mamba motor and esc.
Good plan, you may want to consider more weight to the front. On my build, I used an aluminium front shock tower, bulkhead, steering blocks and knuckles to move the CG forward. The rear shock tower, transmission case and all A arms are RPM. Based on one of my previous builds https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/new-build-project-rat-rod-rustler.137088/ I got some experience on extending the chassis. On this build I'm going to extend the chassis even further, modify to a mid engine setup and replace the A arms with Rustler ones to widen the track kinda like what vuduracing74 is doing in this thread. https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/stretched-traxxas-bandits.136648/
PXL_20230408_144330522.jpg

PXL_20230408_144340439.jpg

Started one myself.

Good plan, you may want to consider more weight to the front. On my build, I used an aluminium front shock tower, bulkhead, steering blocks and knuckles to move the CG forward. The rear shock tower, transmission case and all A arms are RPM. Based on one of my previous builds https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/new-build-project-rat-rod-rustler.137088/ I got some experience on extending the chassis. On this build I'm going to extend the chassis even further, modify to a mid engine setup and replace the A arms with Rustler ones to widen the track kinda like what vuduracing74 is doing in this thread. https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/stretched-traxxas-bandits.136648/
View attachment 163143
View attachment 163144
My blue STRC shock tower arrived. I plan on the rear one as well as the bell crank, rear carriers, front caster and steering blocks and even shock caps. I also have the STRC front bulkhead in silver.

I am going for looks, stability, and also copying another buggy on this build which is the color choice. My stampede likes to get real light in the front around 30 or 40mph. I'm trying to fight that as this buggy is worse.

My other Bandit is in parts. Back in 2009 it was on slash wheels with a turned around tranny making it mid motor. On a factory vxl 2 pole motor on 3s, I could lay some rubber. 🤫😆

I've been thinking of wider arms in thus buggy. Have not decided yet.

Was gonna install this today but I forgot my tools and I took the picture of the back..... 🫣🤫

20230410_140354.jpg

Looking good man. I highly suggest the RPM rear bumper mount. It's a lot better design than the stock one 😉
Thanks. Good to know and I probably will. All this mismatched blue is driving me batty. I may have to have a shop re anodized everything too. I had a few bucks, just enough for this so I ordered one.

Thanks. Good to know and I probably will. All this mismatched blue is driving me batty. I may have to have a shop re anodized everything too. I had a few bucks, just enough for this so I ordered one.
The Traxxas plastic takes regular Rit dye quite easily. I'd just dye it all black.

The Traxxas plastic takes regular Rit dye quite easily. I'd just dye it all black.
I purposely got all blue to replicate rc. Some days the thought is there, I will admit.

Some more work today. Getting the body mapped out. All plastic is Traxxas except the RPM front bumper and transmission. All aluminum is STRC, minus the RPM motor plate. Lunsford Racing has the last of the draping with Titanium turnbuckle and titanium hinge pins. I'm afraid of adding up the cost.

Last things are electronics. I know I want a cheap $125 sidewinder system to get going. I'm eyeballing a 4s mamba setup, or Tekin.

20230424_123014.jpg

Looking good! The aluminum shock caps are a must on the stock ultra shocks or big bore shocks. The traxxas HD arms look pretty nice. Alot thicker and a different design than stock. I might want a link to that servo. ;)
Much appreciated. The servos are discontinued. In 2017 I bought one for my Axial 10.2. Since then I bought 3 more and this one has been waiting so patiently. The only problem I had with shocks is leaking and bending the soft shafts.

The only servo the have is a basic tsx35. Doesn't list ball bearings, metal gears, or high torque.

View attachment 163095

View attachment 163096
Looks like a sickening build. Recently I bought 2 bandits for 130$ one ready to run brushed, and other is mostly complete roller, previous owner assembled it from parts. And I had 3rd bandit vxl for a while. I will convert roller bandit to drag car. I already have trinity drag master hole shot 5 turn that I got for black Friday on sale for 40$, and hobby wing quick run 120 that should be ok and drc belted tires.

There is one guy on YouTube, if you are interested I can search for his channel. He made his bandit vxl all stock except tires reach 88mph with stock motor and ESC, and 98mph on bigger motor but STOCK ESC. He is using front wing that he 3d printed and works much better than extra added weight. If you don't have a 3d printer, I have seen similar wings for sale on ebay
That front bumper will provide lifting force, not down force

Last edited: