New build project- Rat Rod Rustler!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozo

What, me worry?
Supporter
Military Veteran
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
Always been a big fan of rat rods, and Pro-Line has a nice body that looks the part.
Only problem is the odd wheelbase... 14.25- made for a REVO 3.3, E-REVO or SUMMIT chassis
All of my big stuff is either Slash LCG or Rustler based, and I have a ton of parts to mix and match together.
Not wanting to invest in any other Traxxas platforms, I decided to see which chassis- Slash LCG or Rustler- I could adapt easiest to a 14.25" wheelbase.
After a lot of measuring and mockups, the Rustler seemed the best to work with.
It's inherently stronger, and lends itself to the extension easier.
The Rustler stock wheelbase is 11.6", so I needed a stretch of about 2.6".
Got a piece of 2" x 36" x 1/8" from the hardware store ( $15) and started cutting and drilling.
Using the Rustler transmission mounting holes as a drill template, I cut a bottom bar to the proper length and drilled the holes.
Bolted up the bottom plate and then measured, cut and drilled the top plate.
PXL_20230114_153302089.jpg

PXL_20230114_153241815.jpg

PXL_20230114_153419270.jpg

PXL_20230114_153434581.jpg

Still need to countersink all bottom holes and dress up the raw plates, but it fits the new wheelbase nicely and seems really strong.
The next step is to get the dropped stance and proper track width.
This is my starting config- it'll change as the situation requires...
For the front I used a Slash slamming kit shock bulkhead from ebay and some 65mm shocks and the rear an aluminium ebay bulkhead with 80mm shocks.
Rustler A arms front and rear and some Anaconda wheels for now- That'll change as the build progresses.

Here's some shots of the baseline fitment- Looks like it's going to work with some tweaking and modding.
This build won't be a speed runner or an off-roader, more of a cruiser.
With the stretched chassis and wide Rustler A arms, it should be a good corner cutter tho.
Brushless medium KV motor and conservative gearing for torque, not speed
Coming up with a body mounting system and finalizing the stance are the next steps.
Painting the body will be a real challenge- lots of detail...
PXL_20230114_153059587.jpg

PXL_20230114_153115040.jpg

PXL_20230114_153139777.jpg

PXL_20230114_153131250.jpg

PXL_20230114_153146963.jpg

Do white walls
Would look good, got to find some whitewall tires or make them tho...
Figured out the body mounting, the rear was easy but the front took some creative engineering.
Here's the rear, standard Pro-Line mount
PXL_20230115_190136131.jpg

PXL_20230115_190200768.jpg

The front mounts for the body really can be in only one spot- on both sides of the radiator next to the blower belt. I used some L brackets to attach a Pro-Line front mount snugged up to the front shock tower. Lines up nicely, but I don't know if I want to use posts- maybe magnets?
PXL_20230115_190122160.jpg

PXL_20230115_190218093.jpg

PXL_20230115_190206996.jpg

Here's a couple of tire options, luckily I can change A arms and wheels easily as the build defines itself.
PXL_20230115_190102631.jpg

PXL_20230117_140409249.jpg

Next is to mount the electronics and run it to shake out the bugs.
Body paint is still to be determined, I'm really not sure where to go with this- nasty rat rod or clean street rod.
Any ideas or suggestions are welcome...

Looking good. Like the extension plate work. Sturdy.

Big block chevy power? Looks like it. For sure then Chevrolet orange on the valve covers. Refreshing to see an engine replica that is not a hemi. ;)

Regarding tires. My preference for looks are the M/T. Period retro as well. But rear slicks and narrow fronts don't play well on the street. There the nod goes to the other treaded set you have. Maybe a street / strip rat rod that uses one or other set of tires?

Very nice project. Looking forward to following the build. Cheers. 'AC'

Looking good man. Really like what you're doing with that.

I’ve built both of my extensions for my bandits. One is 7” and the other is 4”. I love seeing people build their own parts rather than buying them off eBay or Amazon. That’s going to be one awesome RC!!! If you’re on Facebook check out my group I’ll leave the link below. Happy RC’ing Y’all!!!
I,d like to see some close ups on your extension procedure. Looks really good, almost like a rear engined top fuel! Add a dummy 1:10 engine on the rear extension and it would look badass!
Took some time to tweak the suspension to get the stance correct and then ran it for a while to see what gremlins popped up. Still have to add shock limiters to stop bottoming out but I think it's close to dialed in. I used a stock VXL motor and ESC with conservative 19-83 gearing, nice and stable on the Anaconda wheels but terrible on the MTs. The electronics look messy, I'll clean them up when I decide what motor/ESC will finally end up in it. 37mph seems about fast enough for this build, it's more for show and fun than speed.
PXL_20230121_160409814.jpg

PXL_20230121_160435620.jpg

Now comes the finicky part... body paint. The engine detail is kinda blobby, painting it is going to be a compromise between accuracy and hiding the blobbiness. I'm tempted to chop up the body and remove the engine part and replace it with a 1:6 scale one- I have a SBC and Hemi that would both fit with some finessing and fabbing. Still not sure, but it would definitely look a lot better with a more detailed engine. We'll see...
PXL_20230121_164530293.jpg

Took some time to tweak the suspension to get the stance correct and then ran it for a while to see what gremlins popped up. Still have to add shock limiters to stop bottoming out but I think it's close to dialed in. I used a stock VXL motor and ESC with conservative 19-83 gearing, nice and stable on the Anaconda wheels but terrible on the MTs. The electronics look messy, I'll clean them up when I decide what motor/ESC will finally end up in it. 37mph seems about fast enough for this build, it's more for show and fun than speed.
View attachment 158771
View attachment 158772

Now comes the finicky part... body paint. The engine detail is kinda blobby, painting it is going to be a compromise between accuracy and hiding the blobbiness. I'm tempted to chop up the body and remove the engine part and replace it with a 1:6 scale one- I have a SBC and Hemi that would both fit with some finessing and fabbing. Still not sure, but it would definitely look a lot better with a more detailed engine. We'll see...
View attachment 158780
Those are nice model engines. I did that with my Pinto drag car and first time I wrecked the motor broke. Lol!!! I’ve changed the motors and ESC’s a lot. I’ve gone from Spektrum to Castle to Hobbywing. The blue one is running the HW Max 8 and their 2500kv motor. The red will have a Max 6 and a TP motor (once it comes in the mail) green is 28/36 and red is 30/36 MOD 1 I’m waiting for 30t in the mail for 1:1 ratio. Check out my FB group I post some of my stuff there. Happy RC’ing Y’all!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/657...268619013/?ref=share&exp=9594&mibextid=S66gvF

View attachment 158771
View attachment 158772

View attachment 158780
Very cool engine models. Where does one acquire such works of art?

Not sure I'd use them in an RC build, but they would look cool until the first crash 😜

Very cool engine models. Where does one acquire such works of art?

Not sure I'd use them in an RC build, but they would look cool until the first crash 😜
Liberty Classics makes a whole line of 1:6 engines, prices have skyrocketed since I got the two I have.
ebay and Amazon have them, and maybe your LHS.
Pep Boys has a SOHC Ford engine for $24, I may get one.
https://www.pepboys.com/liberty-classics-ford-sohc-1-6-scale-engine/product/388726?tab=tab4
As far as crashing, I plan not to...;)

Liberty Classics makes a whole line of 1:6 engines, prices have skyrocketed since I got the two I have.
ebay and Amazon have them, and maybe your LHS.
Pep Boys has a SOHC Ford engine for $24, I may get one.
https://www.pepboys.com/liberty-classics-ford-sohc-1-6-scale-engine/product/388726?tab=tab4
As far as crashing, I plan not to...;)
Very cool. But a diecast block makes it not fit for RC use lol.

I got one off eBay that had servos in it to spin the motor and supercharger it was a B To put together but cool until the first crash!! Lol!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019547640...mNSJ4eXQB6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
That one is 3d printed. There are a bunch of engines on Thingiverse for 3d printing. But I have never printed any. May have to look into it. I need to get me another resin printer.

Sweet engine, big $$$ must have broke your heart to crash it... Salvageable?
Nope!!! It’s in my junk bin!! I did use the blower for an 4TEC drag car I built until I crashed That!! Lol!!!

You're right, diecast block would be too heavy
I don't think the Hemi woild look right in it, being that the body doesn't have any styling to match. If it were smoothed with a chopped top, it would be a better fit.

I guess it is chopped a bit. But just not sure how that would look. But I'm weird 🤪

Big block Chevy was know as the "Rat Motor". Perhaps why P-L chose the mold it in its Rat Rod body?

As opposed to the small block Chevy, known affectionately as the "Mouse Motor".

'AC'