charging protected cells question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi ladies and gents, i have a question or two, this may have been answered before but probably not for what i'm asking, and being lipo cells I'm being extra cautious,

i'm going out on a limb here by thinking I'm probably fine with what what I'm doing but what to be safe

i use lipos for various things RC and otherwise, but need someone to give me there input on what i'm trying to achieve

I'm using a 2s lipo in my FS GT3B.
I have just ordered some protection circuits for the battery
https://www.banggood.com/5X-HX-2S-0...l?rmmds=cart_middle_products&cur_warehouse=CN

since in the past i have forgotten to turn off the transmitter ( haven't done it with the lipo yet )
when i have soldered the protection board to the battery will my lipo charger still charge it ok, by that i mean detect its fully charged and stop charging?

also, second question

i have 3 18650s in a bluetooth speaker, originally had one unprotected cell,
i added 2 new cells and and soldered a protection board to each 18650
these cells are wired in parallel, I'm guessing they should all charge/discharge with no issue, (been seen as one cell)

I'm not sure those will work for you for RC purposes... they are only 3A constant and 5A peak. Pretty sure any RC you have is going to try and pull more than 5A out of the cells when running.

I'm not sure those will work for you for RC purposes... they are only 3A constant and 5A peak. Pretty sure any RC you have is going to try and pull more than 5A out of the cells when running.

i probably should have made it clearer its for low power draw stuff like transmitters and the like,

i'm going to convert my existing transmitters to lipo, the GT3B is done i just need the info on protecting the cells,
then i will be doing the same voltage regulator mod to my FS-CT6B at some point since it weighs a ton with AA cells and run that with a 2s lipo

my savage is using a 4000MAH subC hump pack, and my helicopter uses 3s lipos i never considered protected cells for them due to the high current draw, i don't believe a protection circuit in my price range that could do the job

the savage i likely would get away with 3A with a 5A max peak since its just 3 servos and the light kit

i figured out my bluetooth speaker/18650s i can put them in parallel then connect to one protection circuit or individually and they will charge fine, i figured if it works in power banks it would work in my application
( although i ended up getting a 2s 4000mah lipo and splitting it into individual cells with a protection board on each, can't beat having a 8000mah capacity bluetooth speaker )

I really have to stop rambling on

my plan worked, but then i kind of made it redundant since i released a better alternative

i modified my GT3b to be rechargeable via USB by hacking up a £/$1 power bank from a pound/dollar since it only needs 5v to operate it equals a much lighter radio with one 18650 in the base.

if any one is interested in how i installed it i can post pics of the install