Charger putting out lower amps than set at

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenMax

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hey all, so I have a new Tenergy Charger, nothing special, it was $60 on amazon. Anyways, when I go to charge my 4s Lipos, which are Power Hobby 50c 5200 mah, i see the charger at 5.0a but it won’t go above 4.3 when charging. Can anyone tell me if that’s normal? It’s been that way for months and I’ve been running just fine.

Also, when you are charging do you base your amperage off of your ma? Like if your battery is 5200 you’d wanna charge it at 5.2 amps or as close to that as your charger can? So if you have a 1500ma you’d charge it at 1.5? That’s how I’ve been doing it.

Thanks guys!

Hey all, so I have a new Tenergy Charger, nothing special, it was $60 on amazon. Anyways, when I go to charge my 4s Lipos, which are Power Hobby 50c 5200 mah, i see the charger at 5.0a but it won’t go above 4.3 when charging. Can anyone tell me if that’s normal? It’s been that way for months and I’ve been running just fine.

Also, when you are charging do you base your amperage off of your ma? Like if your battery is 5200 you’d wanna charge it at 5.2 amps or as close to that as your charger can? So if you have a 1500ma you’d charge it at 1.5? That’s how I’ve been doing it.

Thanks guys!
For a 1C charge rate, you got the amperage setting figured out. Your charger has, most likely, somewhere close to 72-ish watts of power (if you do the math), and that's why you only get 4.3 amps showing. In order to get the amperage setting to 5.2 amps, for your 5200mAh 4S pack, you would need a charger with at least 87.4 watts.

If someone asks "What charger to get?", I would highly encourage them to get a more powerful charger than needed. I've been there. You start out with some 1/10 scale RCs with 2S packs...everything is fine. Then you get into larger stuff requiring more LiPo cells, and start wanting to speed up charge times...you soon find yourself with a need for a charger upgrade.

In 10 years time, I'm now on my third round of charger upgrading. I made sure, this time around, to have enough power to do at least 2C charge rates for my future 6S LiPo packs.

For a 1C charge rate, you got the amperage setting figured out. Your charger has, most likely, somewhere close to 72-ish watts of power (if you do the math), and that's why you only get 4.3 amps showing. In order to get the amperage setting to 5.2 amps, for your 5200mAh 4S pack, you would need a charger with at least 87.4 watts.

If someone asks "What charger to get?", I would highly encourage them to get a more powerful charger than needed. I've been there. You start out with some 1/10 scale RCs with 2S packs...everything is fine. Then you get into larger stuff requiring more LiPo cells, and start wanting to speed up charge times...you soon find yourself with a need for a charger upgrade.

In 10 years time, I'm now on my third round of charger upgrading. I made sure, this time around, to have enough power to do at least 2C charge rates for my future 6S LiPo packs.

Just bought a Hitec 100wx2 dusk chargers. Gives me 10 amps per channel now. I’ll use my other single chargers for home and the dual for when out running at the track

Back