Castle Sidewinder SV3 motor and ESC question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey y'all! I'm looking at this motor, and I've heard a lot of good things about it. Do y'all have anything to say about this motor or any reasons to stay away from it?

If you can buy a motor and ESC for less than just a good motor alone it should tell you what you are getting

were you the one that left your battery plugged in all nite and smelled burning the next day? If so your Esc is not working right. call traxxas and they will sell you a new one for half price.
More kv on your motor will give you less torque and if you don't run high speed it will overheat the motor and esc.
less kv gives more torque and is better for bashing.

were you the one that left your battery plugged in all nite and smelled burning the next day? If so your Esc is not working right. call traxxas and they will sell you a new one for half price.
More kv on your motor will give you less torque and if you don't run high speed it will overheat the motor and esc.
No that's not me, I never leave my batts lugged in.

I'm looking to upgrade my motor, I wouldn't be bashing it.

a $100 motor esc combo is not a upgrade
So you're saying the motor and ESC aren't as good as the Venileon 3500, right?

Last edited:
Yep what I don't understand is the motor ratings mine is 4570 w (something like that) and 540kv it can handle 10000w all day and 12s 44.4v and peak amp 270 for 10seconds
you've already lost me lol, I don't know what you mean, remember I'm a NEWB

It does tell me what I'm getting, I'm just wondering if y'all have any thoughts. Here's the link to what I'm looking at: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Cre...C-w-6900kv-Motor-Cooling-Fan-Red/392394519438
That's a link to a motor cooler only.

The Sidewinder SCT SV3/3800kv system isn't bad. I ran it in my stampede 4x4 for a year or so on 2S. I ran it for a bit on 3S, but somehow snapped the shaft off the motor. After doing some reading I found that it wasn't a great setup to use for 3S, so I went with the hobbywing max10 sct/3660 3200kv, which still ran hot. Still fiddling with what to use long term. I still have the max10 sct in it, but got a hobbystar 3665 3100kv motor late in the season, then I think my packs were dying on me... then winter happened.

What is it your putting it in?

That's a link to a motor cooler only.

The Sidewinder SCT SV3/3800kv system isn't bad. I ran it in my stampede 4x4 for a year or so on 2S. I ran it for a bit on 3S, but somehow snapped the shaft off the motor. After doing some reading I found that it wasn't a great setup to use for 3S, so I went with the hobbywing max10 sct/3660 3200kv, which still ran hot. Still fiddling with what to use long term. I still have the max10 sct in it, but got a hobbystar 3665 3100kv motor late in the season, then I think my packs were dying on me... then winter happened.

What is it your putting it in?
Slash 4x4

it'll have a custom chassis though

I haven't done the chassis mod yet but here's a chart
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.12.28 PM copy.png
yet but

Hey y'all! I'm looking at this motor, and I've heard a lot of good things about it. Do y'all have anything to say about this motor or any reasons to stay away from it?

Yes in the 3800kv SW3 combo it is a very fast motor However It isn’t rated to pull Heavy Cars, like most it does suffer from getting hot within expected limits I was using to power one of my Arrma senton Id built a Mega to have the same drivetrain as the BLX version since I had that motor knocking around I slapped it in, using a 14t pinion it ate the Stock BLX 3300kv using a 20t pinion it was bloody fast, BUT the Rear Bearing Seized Inside the backplate, whether that was down to age or the dust that may of got inside it? I don’t know I’d used it Power my Losi SCBE which is Heavy, ( it was faster than than Dynamite fuse 3800 KV) . ...
I’d also used it in an Absima 3.4 1/10 Truggy and my friend had a Absima 3.4 Buggy running a Fake 7700kv Castle again it Left his fake 7700kv Castle , so it is a Very fast motor, Id use a Motor fan & gear Down use high rpm instead of high torque with big pinion. Keep an eye on your temps, I have a few surpass & gool RC motors 4200kv 4500kv , they run ok but the run times are a about 3/4 mins and the motor is Hot enough to fry eggs .
I have some Hobbywing too. There new and not had much run time so too early to comment an honest opinion of Hobbywing vs Castle

Back