Carpet Racing - Where do I start?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I'm considering dong some carpet racing but don't want to make the mistakes everyone else has made. I could drop a few thousand dollars and get all the latest, highly tuned equipment. But considering I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm thinking starting with something simple, like last years model 2wd 1/10 scale. Is that a good starting place?

For the brand I'm thinking Team Associated. It seems to be popular and lots of support and parts. Is that a good choice or is there another brand that I should look at? Don't forget, I'm not expecting to win or be good at it, but showing up with something that has no chance of being competitive doesn't work for me.

Any input or guidance would be appreciated.

Go to your local track and see what they are running. Tracks run specific classes usually, with specific electronics required and such, like motor turns, esc settings, etc. Give them a call or go check them out on a race day. Ask questions. Most guys will be really helpful, unless they are the really competitive asshats like we have here 🤪

And yeah, @Iowa crawler probably can provide a lot of info for ya, but that will be based on where he runs, so you'll still want to check out the rules where you are.

As far as good buggies goes, Team Associated, Losi, Kyosho, or Tekno would be my choice. Can't go wrong with any of them, but I would lean towards Associated or Tekno.

I built an associated B6-4 over the summer. I’d never done a kit build before, but this car went together beautifully. Razor rc does a nice review on YouTube. He points out a couple small errors in the instructions, which you would probably figure out anyway. The instructions were otherwise pretty straightforward, although I did use a magnifying glass on some of the pages to see the details (a color set of instructions, at least on line would’ve helped). Our local shop has a ton of parts in stock, and there are a lot of guys running them.

Our local shop also did an intro to racing class which my son and I went to. He wanted to get more tips on driving, and I was more interested in the setup and maintenance. We learned a lot.

Someone else recommend heading to the LHS as well and I did.

I talked with some of the clerks, which were ... somewhat helpful. I got more information from some of the racers. There was a couple there that wasn't racing that day, so they had time to talk with me and they were super helpful.

The track does a have "boot camp" on Tues nights and I can rent a car too. I've added that to my list of things to do.

It seems like most people are running Team Associated R10B6.4. The run classes like 13T or 17T or something like that and I need to get the rules. I'm thinking the RTR might not be a bad option to start. I'm not sure what combinations of electronics are the right match for me anyway.

17.5 is “stock” class, that’s where we started off. Car is plenty quick, but not insane like a smaller turn motor.
The boot camp is a great place to dip your toes in, definitely do that!!
Not sure what rtr you’re gonna get unless the shop pre-builds them….

Head to the track and most likely there will be some offers to be had on used buggies if not wanting to go "full on" kit build. The days are gone, for now, where a person could get a basic kit, and hop it up when time/money allows. RTRs are not the best choice, IMO, for getting started in racing unless track has a "run what you brung" class. Too often the electronics, and tires will be replaced in no time flat... some will rename the RTR acronym Ready To Rebuy, because of mediocre sensorless gear will get into the minds of newcomers that maybe the low cost stuff is holding them back.

I am in a similar place, trying to figure out which carpet setup. After talking to a few people at our local track, seems the Associated B6.4 running 17.5 is a good bet. I went right to the shop / track and asked for a deal on a starter package. Basically motor/esc/servo/wheels/tires, that everyone else runs. B6.4 kit is coming. That way, I know the car will be good for the track and I'm in the zone, if I decide to try my hand at racing.

I already own a little Losi Mini-b, all stock. Super affordable, fun, capable little RTR. Brought it on my first visit, to see if I enjoyed driving on carpet. Honestly, if you are just going once in awhile, the mini-b might be enough.

Definitely recommend starting with the Associated buggy. But it’s not a starter vehicle. They are not the easiest to drive. But once you get comfortable with them, then you can get a 4WD and maximize its potential.
Pay close attention to the set up sheet for your track and the tires. Tires are very important. There are a lot of adjustments on these vehicles and learning to tune will pay big dividends later.

Any input or guidance would be appreciated.

Outside carpet is pretty good for a starter before going inside with walls and side protectors (if you can find one in your area)
We have a football turf track; kind of damping when we land and save a bit the machines.

IMG_1916.JPG

2WD is a pretty good start idea. I would start with a basic Slash 2WD on the carpet (if it's possible)

I will order a B6.4D 2WD lately. But a lot of guys are running TLR Elite 2WD. TLR is good too (tried a couple) I would recommand spec 13,5T Reedy motor. Cheap, solid and class race. (ASC294)

asc294.jpg

Kepp going.
PL

Any updates with your club racing experience?

Curious if you decided to start with 17.5 Stock or Mod?

AE is a safe bet and staying within 1 version of the latest release is perfectly fine.

Have you found a local fast guy at your club to help with your setup yet? If not, that's where I would start by getting a copy of his setup sheet and use that as your baseline. Ask the fast guy to watch you drive and see what your car is NOT doing that you need it to do and then make the appropriate changes for your driving style.

Good Luck!

I haven't done much except drop by on a race day. I was lucky enough to talk to a couple that weren't racing that day and they were super helpful. Then I ran into them at a local crawling spot the next weekend. Small world.

From what they described Team Associated 2wd (RC10/RB10) is the way go and just finishing the race clean will put you in a good spot. It sounds like not crashing is a big part of the driving skills. ;)

They have a boot camp that is free (cost of track time) and I can rent a car, so that's a good place to start.

Team Associated or AE is a good brand. I just built their B74.1D (4wd dirt buggy). For carpet they just released the B6.4 a couple months ago. If you can find a B6.3 that will be good also. TLR (22 5.0 AC), Yokomo (Yz2 Cal 3.1), Xray (XB2C) those are all other competitors to the associated. Another is Schumacher which they are more old school with the ole belt drive systems. I think an Associated B6.3 or B6.4 will be a good starting place for carpet racing.
Also I do think starting out with 2wd stock 17.5 would be best. Just to learn the car and see what your skills are with driving. If your local track does mod, you can always do mod in the future. This is what I am doing. I am starting out with stock 4wd 13.5 and will probably get a 6.5 motor to run mod.
Pic for attention. Lol (my 4wd 13.5 AE buggy with my 1/16 losi 2wd mini B)
PXL_20230123_020142283.jpg

Not crashing is definitely a goal I was striving for at the beginning. Especially with 2WD. They are super learning tools. Very challenging to drive but teach you how to apply throttle correctly . I was crashing all by myself at first.
Eventually you stop crashing . And that will get you a solid fourth place. The fast guys don’t crash. So after you stop crashing you have to go faster. Then you crash. Haha.

I'm basically learning how to drive Rcs again because my B74 is my first 4wd car. I'm just so used to 2wd bashers and my 2wd mini b.

Back