Can you use acrylic and enamals together?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a body I want to paint in the near future with pearl paint colors. I was going to go with acrylic paint this time around thinking it would be less nasty to work with however the only company I can find that currently makes a pearl yellow is tamiya in their enamel rattle cans. Can you use both types together?

Unfortunately it looks like pactra/faskolor are not shipping any paint until after the pandemic is over.

I have a body I want to paint in the near future with pearl paint colors. I was going to go with acrylic paint this time around thinking it would be less nasty to work with however the only company I can find that currently makes a pearl yellow is tamiya in their enamel rattle cans. Can you use both types together?

Unfortunately it looks like pactra/faskolor are not shipping any paint until after the pandemic is over.

I dont see why not ,if you let each color cure first ,as far as over coat one with another ,they dont bond together
because one is a water based ,acrylic hardens an dont flex well as enamel!

However ,light coats of them will make the paint be more stable than a thick heavy coat using a heat gun to
help!.. :thumbs-up:

Yes, you can spray enamel over acrylic and vice-versa. The flames I showed ya - everything was acrylic except the white flames were enamel. And I didn't let the two dry more than a few minutes in between. You cannot do that with lacquer though. Lacquer can eat through acrylic eventually.

Oh, and look at Faskolor paint. They have lots of pearls. Really nice pearls too.

Yes, you can spray enamel over acrylic and vice-versa. The flames I showed ya - everything was acrylic except the white flames were enamel. And I didn't let the two dry more than a few minutes in between. You cannot do that with lacquer though. Lacquer can eat through acrylic eventually.

Oh, and look at Faskolor paint. They have lots of pearls. Really nice pearls too.
So I was originally going to buy Faskolor paints but I can't find anyone online selling pearl yellow and the Faskolor website when you go there it says the stuff is available but there no "add to cart" button. I tried 5 different browsers everyone is the same. I'm pretty sure where it says "Item is available" its supposed to be an "add to cart" button. I was going to call them tomorrow and ask about it but maybe someone else can go to the link and tell me what they see. See pic below for what I'm seeing.

https://parmapse.shptron.com/c/faskolor-paint-shop

1626562768157.png

Attachments

• 1626562805937.png
    1626562805937.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 53
So I was originally going to buy Faskolor paints but I can't find anyone online selling pearl yellow and the Faskolor website when you go there it says the stuff is available but there no "add to cart" button. I tried 5 different browsers everyone is the same. I'm pretty sure where it says "Item is available" its supposed to be an "add to cart" button. I was going to call them tomorrow and ask about it but maybe someone else can go to the link and tell me what they see. See pic below for what I'm seeing.

View attachment 129731

Did you join as a member?

Did you join as a member?
I thought about that even though I've never seen a website you had to be logged in to in order to place items in your cart but when I went looking I could find a place to enter login information but theres no link to actually sign up for an account.

I thought about that even though I've never seen a website you had to be logged in to in order to place items in your cart but when I went looking I could find a place to enter login information but theres no link to actually sign up for an account.

I had to join Horizon Hobbies an become a member to purchase my Spectrum radio gear!
So maybe it is that ,a lot of places like that is changing ,maybe for faster process on future orders!.. :thumbs-up:

I had to join Horizon Hobbies an become a member to purchase my Spectrum radio gear!
So maybe it is that ,a lot of places like that is changing ,maybe for faster process on future orders!.. :thumbs-up:
Either way though I can't find anywhere to join. Plus there website says theyre not shipping anything until the pandemic is over so even if I could order they dont seem to be shipping anything

Either way though I can't find anywhere to join. Plus there website says theyre not shipping anything until the pandemic is over so even if I could order they dont seem to be shipping anything

Ah ,ok then ,but is weird because other companies is somewhat shipping stuff
out providing it is in stock!.. 🤔

View attachment 129731
That is not a pearl. The only thing they have close in pearl is the Gold, which is almost yellow. Sorry, I hadn't looked at Faskolor for awhile. If you want a true pearl yellow you can use Createx. I buy all my Createx from www.spraygunner.com

I buy my Faskolor here
https://slotcarstore.net

You could do a Faskolor Faslucent yellow (translucent), then back coat with pearl white or pearl silver.
That is not a pearl. The only thing they have close in pearl is the Gold, which is almost yellow. Sorry, I hadn't looked at Faskolor for awhile. If you want a true pearl yellow you can use Createx. I buy all my Createx from www.spraygunner.com

I buy my Faskolor here
https://slotcarstore.net

You could do a Faskolor Faslucent yellow (translucent), then back coat with pearl white or pearl silver.
I can do a test on a speedshape and share. Gimme a few...

Last edited:
Ok. Killed 2 birds with one stone. My son has been dying to play with the airbrush, so I let him have a go.
20210717_222533.jpg

He got a little heavy with the candy yellow, so I told him we would see what it looks like if we skated the candy paint all over (blew the paint around with air).

The candy is Createx Candy 2o Lemon Yellow. Then we sprayed Faskolor pearl white as a backing layer. I wish we had skated the white around, then backed it with silver. Might have looked pretty cool lol.
20210717_225548.jpg

This is about 6 coats of of candy, and 2 coats of white.

Last edited:
That looks pretty good. So I'm guessing you can't add anything to cart on Faskolors website either? Thanks for the other links, Ill check em out. I thought creatix was just a general airbrush hobby paint. It nots formulated for lexan is it?

Last edited:
That looks pretty good. So I'm guessing you can't add anything to cart on Faskolors website either? Thanks for the other links, Ill check em out. I thought creatix was just a general airbrush hobby paint. It nots formulated for lexan is it?
I have never tried to order direct from Parma. I found that slot car site a long time ago and have just bought through them since.

I just started using this Createx Candy paint about a month ago. I got the Candy 2o kit which came with the candies, the chrome and black backer, and I bought a bottle of white as well.

I read up on Createx and lexan before I ordered it and watched a vid where a guy tested it on lexan and it seemed to stick just fine. The online groups say to back it with Krylon Fusion or Rustoleum. One thing you could do is spray a light coat of Faskolor clear, then go with the Createx.

I will do some fingernail scratch tests today and see what I can find out for ya.

I have never tried to order direct from Parma. I found that slot car site a long time ago and have just bought through them since.

I just started using this Createx Candy paint about a month ago. I got the Candy 2o kit which came with the candies, the chrome and black backer, and I bought a bottle of white as well.

I read up on Createx and lexan before I ordered it and watched a vid where a guy tested it on lexan and it seemed to stick just fine. The online groups say to back it with Krylon Fusion or Rustoleum. One thing you could do is spray a light coat of Faskolor clear, then go with the Createx.

I will do some fingernail scratch tests today and see what I can find out for ya.
Thanks man

Ok Grey, I just went and tried to peel the black off of the body that I sprayed a few weeks ago. I pushed so hard with my thumbnail I creased the body, then drug my thumbnail trying to peel it. No paint came off. It feels like part of the body, just as Faskolor does. And that is just straight Createx sprayed on some rocker sills, no backer.

The speedshape will take a few days to really harden up to do a test on it, but I can get more aggressive with that test. Acrylics will be soft for a few days after spraying.

Ok Grey, I just went and tried to peel the black off of the body that I sprayed a few weeks ago. I pushed so hard with my thumbnail I creased the body, then drug my thumbnail trying to peel it. No paint came off. It feels like part of the body, just as Faskolor does. And that is just straight Createx sprayed on some rocker sills, no backer.

The speedshape will take a few days to really harden up to do a test on it, but I can get more aggressive with that test. Acrylics will be soft for a few days after spraying.
Sounds good so far :celebrate:

So being an airbrush newb I just realized the Iwata Neo airbrushes I just bought will not work with acrylics as Faskolor recommends 40-70psi to spray and my airbrushes say they are meant for 8-20psi. Does this mean I need to buy enamels/lacquers to be able to use these airbrushes? If so what do yall recommend. Not as worried about price as I am quality and selection but I'm always down to save a buck if I can. :)

So being an airbrush newb I just realized the Iwata Neo airbrushes I just bought will not work with acrylics as Faskolor recommends 40-70psi to spray and my airbrushes say they are meant for 8-20psi. Does this mean I need to buy enamels/lacquers to be able to use these airbrushes? If so what do yall recommend. Not as worried about price as I am quality and selection but I'm always down to save a buck if I can. :)
I spray Faskolor anywhere from 32-40 psi. Depends on which airbrush I use and what I am doing. And don't buy any stupid acrylic thinner. Just use Fantastik. Great for any acrylic paint, great to clean your airbrush. Great to clean areas of the body if you screw up. It's FaaaanTastik!

Don't read the directions on the airbrush or paint. Just spray. If it isn't coming out at 35, psi, thin the paint til it does. Then adjust the airflow where you like it. Very light coat for first coat or two. Just a dusting. Increase with subsequent coats 😉

You can thin the paint right in the cup, assuming you have a gravity feed brush. Just add thinner, stir with paintbrush, place finger over tip and push some air through. It will blow back into cup and mix the paint that was at the nozzle.

When you spray, keep the air all the way down all the time. Pull back the trigger to apply paint, just like you do with a rattle can. Don't try to work both air and paint unless your fingers are ninjas.

Last edited:
I spray Faskolor anywhere from 32-40 psi. Depends on which airbrush I use and what I am doing. And don't buy any stupid acrylic thinner. Just use Fantastik. Great for any acrylic paint, great to clean your airbrush. Great to clean areas of the body if you screw up. It's FaaaanTastik!

Don't read the directions on the airbrush or paint. Just spray. If it isn't coming out at 35, psi, thin the paint til it does. Then adjust the airflow where you like it. Very light coat for first coat or two. Just a dusting. Increase with subsequent coats 😉

You can thin the paint right in the cup, assuming you have a gravity feed brush. Just add thinner, stir with paintbrush, place finger over tip and push some air through. It will blow back into cup and mix the paint that was at the nozzle.

When you spray, keep the air all the way down all the time. Pull back the trigger to apply paint, just like you do with a rattle can. Don't try to work both air and paint unless your fingers are ninjas.
So its ok to airbrush at 35psi on brushes that say 8-20psi? I have a gravity and a siphon. I got one of each cuz I dont know what I'm doing lol

So its ok to airbrush at 35psi on brushes that say 8-20psi? I have a gravity and a siphon. I got one of each cuz I dont know what I'm doing lol
Siphon is more for like people that do larger canvases and t-shirts. Gravity feed is the one you want. As far as psi, play with it and see what works best. That Bloodshot Airbrushing guy I watch always sprays st 40 psi with his Iwata's. I don't see how it could spray at 8 psi unless you were spraying water, but I don't have that brush.

I have had a few different ones though, Paasche, Badger, Master, etc, and all of them have done best for me between 30-40 psi. Check out some reviews on yours and see what they spray at. But there is nothing in the airbrush that will explode if you go higher than recommended. And when I looked up the Neo brushes, I was seeing all kinds of different pressure ranges from 5-35.

Last edited:
Back