Can you run things off a lipo battery’s balance lead?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC MAN

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if you can run say a fan or something off a lipo battery’s balance lead?

Cheers,

yes you can but that cell is going to be less than others. up to 8 amps.. id just make a y splitter in main battery plug and add a ubec.. more even on all cells

Yes, but you will be limited on current because of the wire size. Also, as mentioned, you can can create a cell imbalance if you use less than the full pack.

And it's the most unreliable connector ever. I gave up on using it for a 12V lightbar. It would flicker or die on the first bump.

If you're gonna use the full pack voltage, solder a JST or servo connector across your ESC's battery connector.

yes you can but that cell is going to be less than others. up to 8 amps.. id just make a y splitter in main battery plug and add a ubec.. more even on all cells
Thanks for the clarification!

Will probably do because a unbalanced cell is not a good thing😂
Yes, but you will be limited on current because of the wire size. Also, as mentioned, you can can create a cell imbalance if you use less than the full pack.
Yep a unbalanced cell is never good😂

Thanks for the advise!
And it's the most unreliable connector ever. I gave up on using it for a 12V lightbar. It would flicker or die on the first bump.

If you're gonna use the full pack voltage, solder a JST or servo connector across your ESC's battery connector.
Jeez, sounds like a bad option if it’s that unreliable.

Thanks for the advise on letting me steer clear of mess😂

Good point. I forgot that the connect is just .1" spaced posts and there is no interlock at all. I might be good for something sitting on the table.

Good point. I forgot that the connect is just .1" spaced posts and there is no interlock at all. I might be good for something sitting on the table.
Yep, doesn’t sound good.

Thanks for the info!

Even a servo connector is better, with more substantial pins and usually a tighter fit so less likely to fall out.

You're right, these things are designed for static connections inside electronic devices, not on things we launch in the air :)

I recently used a BEC bypass connector to run my steering servo off 2 of the three cells from my EMC battery. Recently I discovered though that one of batteries is having an issue with one cell because I can't get it balanced. I just bought a cell checker yesterday and discovered this. I'm not sure if its because of this BEC eliminator (uses two cells out of three and I have one cell out of balance or low) but I'm going to monitor it and see if I can figure it out. I haven't had any issues with the balance connector coming lose or losing power though.

I recently used a BEC bypass connector to run my steering servo off 2 of the three cells from my EMC battery. Recently I discovered though that one of batteries is having an issue with one cell because I can't get it balanced. I just bought a cell checker yesterday and discovered this. I'm not sure if its because of this BEC eliminator (uses two cells out of three and I have one cell out of balance or low) but I'm going to monitor it and see if I can figure it out. I haven't had any issues with the balance connector coming lose or losing power though.
Why don't you just use all 3?

That's what the BEC is for. It steps the voltage down to a usable level.
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/cc-bec-010-0004-00

Up to 6S input with output adjustable from 4.8-9V. I ran one of those for a while in my e-revo until I upgraded the esc. I ran it off the full input voltage to the esc with wires to the connectors.
I know that! It’s a “battery eliminator circuit” and was designed to eliminate the small battery pack we used to have to run way back in the day of RC. The problems with a separate battery are many, including no place to put it, and weight, so that is why I tried the BEC eliminator bypass harness by ProModeler. The issue with a BEC when using high powered serves is the limited current both by the BEC and connector, and the current/voltage coming from a BEC is dirty compared to the straight DC current from a battery.

If you’re running straight 2 cell though then running right off the battery main connector with a BEC bypass is the way to go.

Back