can i lift the engine a little but if my spur gear and clutch bell dont mesh?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
I've got a savage x 4.6 and i picked up a 48t robinson spur gear and a 14t hardened clutch bell, i just tested the install a little bit (i wont get time till tomorrow to actually put it together) and it seems like the clutch bell is a tiny bit too small for the 48t spur gear. so i was wondering can i just put some type of spacers or something i find laying around under the engine mount bolts just to lift the engine a tiny bit so they mesh properly? or will this end up causing other fitment issue for other parts?

if its fine, do u have any recommendations on what to put under the engine mount just to raise the engine like 1mm?

thanks!!

you can buy shim stock in many different thickness...

I've got a savage x 4.6 and i picked up a 48t robinson spur gear and a 14t hardened clutch bell, i just tested the install a little bit (i wont get time till tomorrow to actually put it together) and it seems like the clutch bell is a tiny bit too small for the 48t spur gear. so i was wondering can i just put some type of spacers or something i find laying around under the engine mount bolts just to lift the engine a tiny bit so they mesh properly? or will this end up causing other fitment issue for other parts?

if its fine, do u have any recommendations on what to put under the engine mount just to raise the engine like 1mm?

thanks!!
If the cluthcbell and the spur dont mesh its probably because theyre both 2 different pitches. If your spur is 32p and your clutchbell is mod1 then they arent going to mesh. both gears have to be the same pitch.

Take a look at this article about gear pitches

Last edited:
doesn't matter how many teeth are on the gears as long as theyre the same pitch. If the gears arent meshing properly its most likely due to different gear pitches.

doesn't matter how many teeth are on the gears as long as theyre the same pitch. If the gears arent meshing properly its most likely due to different gear pitches.
On the savage, the motor will only slide over so far until the bell hits the brake disks. When I ran 47/15 on mine, I had to raise the engine a bit by putting some 2mm spacers between the engine and engine mount. Then it would make good mesh without hitting the bell on the brakes.
2019-0511-savagex-enginespacers2mm.jpg

On the savage, the motor will only slide over so far until the bell hits the brake disks. When I ran 47/15 on mine, I had to raise the engine a bit by putting some 2mm spacers between the engine and engine mount. Then it would make good mesh without hitting the bell on the brakes.
Ahhhh I didnt know that about the Nitro savages :)

thanks for the replies all! i think i might be able to get it to work without the spacers however I'm probably awfully close to the brakes

thanks for the replies all! i think i might be able to get it to work without the spacers however I'm probably awfully close to the brakes
The first time I ran it with the gearing I had, I didn't notice it until the disks were destroyed... after installing new disks, they were some carbon fiber ones with the same OD, but a hair thicker and fit a tad snugger on the hex hub. They didn't give at all and I couldn't get the mesh good.

i wanted to ask however, i got the mesh in what i feel like is perfect (when i have the clutch bell stopped, the spur gear only moves like half a mm, and when i let go and spin it fast, it doesn't seem like theres any binding

however i am not sure if i have noticed this in the past but when i roll the truck forwards, it sounds normal, but when i roll it backwards, there seems to be a bit more gear noise. is this normal?

thx

Sounds mostly normal. :) When it spins in reverse, it then free spins a bit via the OWB in the transmission, so you don't have the rest of the gears being pushed along when you stop, so it will sound a bit different.

Back