Sledge gear mesh

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsmgr

RCTalk Racer
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've had my sledge for a little over a month and have already replaced two sets of pinion/spur gears. I have checked that everything is tight and the chassis is not bent. I think some of the problem is rocks getting into the chassis, I've pulled some out. To me the gear mesh seems a bit too much. I don't know if this could be an issue or not, seems like it would be. With the motor mount spacer in place the mesh isn't adjustable. Should I remove the spacer and set the mesh with a piece of paper like I do with the slash or will the motor mount twist without it? Thanks for any input.

If that spacer is like something in the slash or like its like a pre set gear mesh thing, take it out. If the spacer is for motor support / stability, you could, but I wouldn't.

If you do remove the spacer, yes set it with a piece of paper. I always do, works every time.

Yes, it is for a preset mesh.

Yes, it is for a preset mesh.
Yea, I would take it out and set the mesh yourself. It should have just a slight little play in the pinion / spur. Now for debri and rocks getting into the gears, I got no glue how to prevent that.

Like others mentioned, remove the spacers and set mesh as you normally would. The spacers help keep the motor from sliding around during operation but aren't really necessary. You can also get different offset spacers that match up to the gears your running.

As for the rocks, multiple manufacturers sell a mesh dust cover that velcros to the top of the chassis that will keep the majority of the rocks out. I run one on mine when I play in gravel and it works great. Keep in mind that the cover also reduces airflow to the chassis and will lightly increase motor/esc Temps. Make sure the esc and motor fans are working properly and you should be ok.

It is the stock spacer with stock gearing. It just seems like the mesh is a bit too loose. I didn't know if anyone else was having this issue.

Just to clarify, are we talking about the spacers on the bolts that secure the motor mount assembly to the chassis?

I may be calling it wrong.

Attachments

• SLEDGE.pdf
    45 KB · Views: 52
I was debating using those but couldn't find them. I haven't had an issue with the stock setup mount moving..yet.

I've had mine slip a few times but only on big jumps which I don't normally do with the sledge.

Jumping is about all I do. I wouldn't call them big jumps but I can get in one backflip before landing. I'm just tired of the pinion coming loose and the gears getting eat up. I'm thinking if I can get the grub square on the shaft and reduce some of the gear slop it will help.

I had similar issues and ditched the factory mounting system all together. Opted for an aftermarket aluminum assembly that is similar to arrma style factory mounts. Since switching it over, I haven't had any more problems.
This is what I installed

Attachments

• 20230714_183745.jpg
    20230714_183745.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 60
Yup, that's what's in the pic above. I like it so far.

The picture didn't show when I first looked.LOL
I saw it on youtube, don't remember who I was watching. I thought it looked promising. Glad to hear from someone that actually have used it.

I installed a set of Hot Racing 52/13 fix motor mount screws and have had no problems. I'm the guy that breaks everything and it's survived my driving.

Back