Frankenstein Rustler spurgear change

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydiaz1993

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
20230103_113258.jpg

So today I've decided to finally change the spur gear on my Rustler/Jato built recently I had a 54 teeth spur gear but with that set up I could only reach no more than 56mph no matter how I tuned it, rich or lean. I've had the 50teeth spur gear from the Slash for a while now but I knew it would be a pain in the butt to change the gear since I would have to trim off the spur gear cover and play around a little bit to get it to fit.
20230103_130355.jpg

Once I trimmed off the spur gear cover I proceeded to remount the engine and while remounting it I added extra washer on top of the washers the engine mount already provides in order to raise the engine high enough that the clutch bell would reach the new 50 teeth spur gear with ease.
20230103_132530.jpg

Once the engine is in place it should look something like this

20230103_135908.jpg

20230103_144801.jpg

That's pretty much it... if I have the time later on I will take it out for a speed run and see how much it improves in overall performance and mph 😁👍
I'm curious to see...
Will it perform better than the 1 speed Rustler, worst or about the same?🤔

20230103_135908.jpg

View attachment 157780
So today I've decided to finally change the spur gear on my Rustler/Jato built recently I had a 54 teeth spur gear but with that set up I could only reach no more than 56mph no matter how I tuned it, rich or lean. I've had the 50teeth spur gear from the Slash for a while now but I knew it would be a pain in the butt to change the gear since I would have to trim off the spur gear cover and play around a little bit to get it to fit.
View attachment 157781
Once I trimmed off the spur gear cover I proceeded to remount the engine and while remounting it I added extra washer on top of the washers the engine mount already provides in order to raise the engine high enough that the clutch bell would reach the new 50 teeth spur gear with ease.
View attachment 157782
Once the engine is in place it should look something like this

View attachment 157785
View attachment 157784
That's pretty much it... if I have the time later on I will take it out for a speed run and see how much it improves in overall performance and mph 😁👍
I'm curious to see...
Will it perform better than the 1 speed Rustler, worst or about the same?🤔

View attachment 157783
can't wait to see!

HOLYCRAP! This thing is a beast now!
It was literally doing wheelies at 60+ mph I will try and record a video of the car hitting those speeds on my next day off, for those thinking about it...
ITS fiddlesticking WORTH THE HASSLE to change the spurgear.
I have the brushless 4tech vxl that goes 70mph and I'm pretty sure my Rustler can now rival it 🤯

HOLYCRAP! This thing is a beast now!
It was literally doing wheelies at 60+ mph I will try and record a video of the car hitting those speeds on my next day off, for those thinking about it...
ITS fiddlesticking WORTH THE HASSLE to change the spurgear.
I have the brushless 4tech vxl that goes 70mph and I'm pretty sure my Rustler can now rival it 🤯
lol, I bet it is on that gearing :)

lol, I bet it is on that gearing :)
It's flying! Even with the wheelies I was reaching 65 mph.
I think I'm going to have to mount a wheelie bar on it if I want to hit the speeds I'm looking for with this thing. I'm already looking into putting a smaller spur gear, thinking 46 teeth spur gear would be just what I need to reach 75+mph. Looking forward to seeing what I can achieve performance wise out of this beast.
On another note what is a good wheelie bar brand?
Never thought of mounting one until now.
Screenshot_20230104-082320_RC Gears.jpg

Radio range is as impressive as the speed. Looking at the pix you posted it is the TRX TQi system?

Are you radio ranging from center of the run? Even so, that's still ~500 meters each way. Any mods or changes on the radio?

Congrats on the good run. 'AC'

It's flying! Even with the wheelies I was reaching 65 mph.
I think I'm going to have to mount a wheelie bar on it if I want to hit the speeds I'm looking for with this thing. I'm already looking into putting a smaller spur gear, thinking 46 teeth spur gear would be just what I need to reach 75+mph. Looking forward to seeing what I can achieve performance wise out of this beast.
On another note what is a good wheelie bar brand?
Never thought of mounting one until now.
View attachment 157804
If top speed is your goal put a 34T REVO spur gear on it. More top speed less wheelies :)

I'm not sure if anyone makes a wheelie bar for a nitro Rusty?

If top speed is your goal put a 34T REVO spur gear on it. More top speed less wheelies :)

I'm not sure if anyone makes a wheelie bar for a nitro Rusty?
Will it fit the 0.8 mod 32 pitch from the Jato tranny? I see that the Revo 34t is a 1.0 mod

Will it fit the 0.8 mod 32 pitch from the Jato tranny? I see that the Revo 34t is a 1.0 mod
Ahhhh I didnt realize the JATO used Mod .8. Id investigate the possibility of running mod1 spur and CB and see which combo you can get the shortest gear ratio :)

Ahhhh I didnt realize the JATO used Mod .8. Id investigate the possibility of running mod1 spur and CB and see which combo you can get the shortest gear ratio :)
I will check it out! 😁👍

Radio range is as impressive as the speed. Looking at the pix you posted it is the TRX TQi system?

Are you radio ranging from center of the run? Even so, that's still ~500 meters each way. Any mods or changes on the radio?

Congrats on the good run. 'AC'
I still have the stock radio, hasn't given me any issues with distance but if you know of a better radio control I'm all ears...

Hi, no mod 0.8 and 1.0 will not mesh.

I still have the stock radio, hasn't given me any issues with distance but if you know of a better radio control I'm all ears...

For some reason, on my Jato, after maybe around 100m, my radio signal cuts out.

Hi, no mod 0.8 and 1.0 will not mesh.

For some reason, on my Jato, after maybe around 100m, my radio signal cuts out.
From what I read from mod .8 to 1.0 would just be smaller gear teeth ???
& for the remote a quick fix to that is you can always stretch the antenna all the way up out of your rc body so it can reach further distance. Or raise your controller like a mad man lol

From what I read from mod .8 to 1.0 would just be smaller gear teeth ???
Mod .8 has smaller spacing between the teeth than mod 1. This means if you have 2 gears with the same diameter the mod.8 is going to have more teeth. If you're looking for top speed, Id see what the shortest gearing you can achieve with mod .8 spur and clutch bell and then see what the shortest ratio is you can achieve using mod 1 spur and clutch bell and then use whatever gets you the shortest ratio.

Mod .8 has smaller spacing between the teeth than mod 1. This means if you have 2 gears with the same diameter the mod.8 is going to have more teeth. If you're looking for top speed, Id see what the shortest gearing you can achieve with mod .8 spur and clutch bell and then see what the shortest ratio is you can achieve using mod 1 spur and clutch bell and then use whatever gets you the shortest ratio.
Thank you for the information, I'm looking to see if I can use a 32 pitch 48 teeth since the Rustler had a 32 pitch spur gear and it ran smoothly with the 3.3 engine clutch bell rather than change the clutch bell to match a 1.0 mod or 0.8mod. I have one already I just haven't been able to align the engine high enough to reach it. Guess I will have to find bigger washers 🤷‍♂️

Thank you for the information, I'm looking to see if I can use a 32 pitch 48 teeth since the Rustler had a 32 pitch spur gear and it ran smoothly with the 3.3 engine clutch bell rather than change the clutch bell to match a 1.0 mod or 0.8mod. I have one already I just haven't been able to align the engine high enough to reach it. Guess I will have to find bigger washers 🤷‍♂️
32P and mod .8, while technically two different pitches, are close enough in specs that they are considered to be compatible with one another.

Last edited:
32P and mod .8, while technically two different pitches, are close enough in specs that they are considered to be compatible with one another.
I see I see. That's good because this will allow me to keep changing the spur gears I believe I saw up to a 42 teeth in the 32P which if applied to the 3.3 I can possibly achieve faster speeds than 75+mph

Trying out the new 32p 46 teeth spur gear, it's a little too small so I will have to Raise the engine with some washers to make it reach, I'm off tomorrow so that will be my project. hopefully everything works out & I finally start reaching 70mph with this thing 🙌 🙏
20230129_105903.jpg

Back