Can I do this with a velenion?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Slash

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
  4. Boating
So I just ordered a hobbywing kit for my slash and also wanted to upgrade my Stampede. I want to buy the Velenion motor for 80$ and not the esc so I could buy a programable, more affordable esc like a hobbywing. Would this work? Would it catch on fire? Any power loss? Need your opinions.

So I just ordered a hobbywing kit for my slash and also wanted to upgrade my Stampede. I want to buy the Velenion motor for 80$ and not the esc so I could buy a programable, more affordable esc like a hobbywing. Would this work? Would it catch on fire? Any power loss? Need your opinions.
Yes, it will work, but i don’t recommend the velineon 3s motor on a 4x4, if your rc‘s are 4x4, get a nice hobbywing 3660 brushless motor.

You could do that but if you're going to spend $80 I wouldnt buy the velineon motor. Id buy another hobbywing motor or even a Castle for a few bucks more.

remember that traxxas motor is no censored. and esc will support that.like grey said there are many other options 540 size motor.. id look at a censored combo

Its a 2wd
I got a slash 2wd with the vxl 3s motor and esc, and it doesn’t get hot when using it in the street, when on dirt, or grass, it gets super hot, both on 2s and 3s. There is no room for a heatsink unless you get the hotracing transmission case. HR transmission case

I got a slash 2wd with the vxl 3s motor and esc, and it doesn’t get hot when using it in the street, when on dirt, or grass, it gets super hot, both on 2s and 3s. There is no room for a heatsink unless you get the hotracing transmission case. HR transmission case
Thanks! I will just order another hobbywing and call it a day.

100% agree with everyone above... go with something different and better then traxxas electronics and motors... castle or hobbywing..and there's others also.. sorry don't waste $$ on a traxxas motor

Max10 sct and hobbystar 3660-3665 3100-3200kv motor are decent combo's. I run a hobbystar 3665 3100kv off a max10 sct in my converted jato, it does really well.

I did run the max10 sct off the same motor in my stampede 4x4 for a while, but I wanted more out of it than it would offer on 3S without overheating (high speed grass driving) and ended up getting a slash chassis then putting 1/8th electronics in it. But for a 2wd stampede or slash, it should do just fine on 2S or 3S.

My Velineon motor has been great, not sure the version (will take motor out to identify soon, needs a cleaning 🧹 I'm sure), but it isn't the version most people have. Most VXL systems have the motor version that comes with the rereleased "cheapen'd up" ESC, the 3355R. I have the the not so well know and rather rare 3355X, having the ability to use & auto detect Sensored and Sensorless - Brushless motors OR Brushed motors. It also has No Motor limit in Brushless OR Brushed mode. It's been a great ESC. It's not a racing class ESC but it sends my VXL past 50mph on grass on 3s and I only added a fan because I had a spare fan and the ESC has a fan output cable (I used gps, police radar, and Hot Wheels Radar gun for speed assessment😁!) The ONLY place I have found this model VXL ESC is from RCMart. At $80 for a 200amp constant ESC that is Brushed/Brushless & Sensored/Sensorless AND NO Motor Limit for Any type of motor, I think it may be the best value electronic device Traxxas has to offer (well RCMart has to offer anyway😂)! That said you can get everything you need out a Shenzhen Special ESC + BL motor (HobbyWing, HobbyKing, Surpass Hobby, Hobby Star, Hobby Queen, GoolRC, etc... are all Shenzhen Technology CO., LTD.).

The motor while strong, fast and seemingly bulletproof for years now on 3s, is ABSOLUTELY overpriced! As are most of Traxxas Electronics! I mean it's pro prices for basic stuff! Seems strange when the 'non-electric parts pieces' for my Stampede are SO SO CHEAP!
I definitely would NOT agree that the lesser Shenzhen motors or a "No Name Brand motor on eBay" are "Better than Vileneon", while I would never say someone isn't due their opinion, the two Vileneon motors I own have both outlasted & outperformed any no name brand motors I or anyone I know have owned. The lessers are made using weak aluminum refinement tech, crappy epoxy, weak steel, and on and on. They just are not made to the same standards, not even close. Traxxas is still overpriced though! You can get a higher quality Shenzhen from the likes of Surpass or HobbyKing for way less money and meet or exceed quality and performance!

∆[Got my Stampede VXL at GoodWill, New w/o box. It was priced at $100 but I had a "20% off" coupon I had just received for making a donation! So I paid $80!.....'GOODwill HUNTING!']∆

Back