Blowing Motors

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADD

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score

Granite Blowing Motors

I have an Arrma Granite mega4x4 2s.. It keeps frying the motor.. Out of nowhere I'll have no movement.. My steering works but I have no throttle. Can't find anything on how to troubleshoot for this issue as 99% of the info is for the 3s an up so ESC is different. Any help would be of great...

The brushed motors are very easy to burn out. Make sure ur not running in nimh mode also. There are youtube vids showing how to take more care of them and supposed to last longer. If possible most folks say look into a brushless setup

The brushed motors are very easy to burn out. Make sure ur not running in nimh mode also. There are youtube vids showing how to take more care of them and supposed to last longer. If possible most folks say look into a brushless setup
Ya I'll prb just look to sell it as I already have a 1/10 Savage and The UDR. May look for something just a bit bigger than Granite and go Brushless

If you dont have one already you need to get an IR temp gun and keep an eye on motor temps not letting the motor get over about 165F or so. If it is then you need to use a smaller pinion to bring motor temps down to the desired range. This will help extend the life of the motor. Periodically lubing the bushings inside can help too if you can get in the can. I'm not familiar with this motor but it looks pretty much the same as the Titan 12T motors that Traxxas uses. If thats the case then you should be able to get it apart in spite of it being a sealed motor. Adding a heatsink and fan can help a bit too but Id just put a brushless system in it and call it a day. You'll still need to watch motor temps and adjust pinion size accordingly but brushless motors are more powerful and will last a long time if they arent damaged from excessive heat.

As mentioned above brushed motors heat up fast especially while ran on a lipo opposed to a nimh. If you wanted to keep it I'd suggest a brushless upgrade but that will cost a good $100+ as you'd need a motor, esc and slipper assembly.