Birth of Trash Panda (trx-4)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat_ranch

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Mostly build pics with some parts listed kinda randomly...

Start at the start
20210903_124605.jpg

20210903_125046.jpg
20210903_130040.jpg
20210903_130421.jpg
20210903_131224.jpg
20210903_135040.jpg
20210903_142032.jpg
20210903_150816.jpg

20210903_212354.jpg

Went straight to brass for knuckles and portal covers, got a Holmes stubby 2500kv with a 13t pinion. Should be geared low enough with the 39t spur to limit chassis loading and keep fairly cool. I can always pinion up later. Still have to put in the mamba micro and get the servo mounted. Then I'll build the shocks (likely go with heavier fluid in those) get the links on it and put the fancy TGH wheels & trencher crawlers on, and figger a paint scheme fitting a trash panda...
And since I just found the overdrive gears for the front end, I'll have to take it apart again, d'oh!

Mostly build pics with some parts listed kinda randomly...

Start at the start
View attachment 131984

View attachment 131985View attachment 131986View attachment 131988View attachment 131991View attachment 131993View attachment 131997View attachment 131998
View attachment 131999

Went straight to brass for knuckles and portal covers, got a Holmes stubby 2500kv with a 13t pinion. Should be geared low enough with the 39t spur to limit chassis loading and keep fairly cool. I can always pinion up later. Still have to put in the mamba micro and get the servo mounted. Then I'll build the shocks (likely go with heavier fluid in those) get the links on it and put the fancy TGH wheels & trencher crawlers on, and figger a paint scheme fitting a trash panda...
And since I just found the overdrive gears for the front end, I'll have to take it apart again, d'oh!
LOOKS AWESOME MAN!!!!! nice job. That's the complete TRX-4 kit correct? That's the kit I'm looking to get here soon. I can't wait to build it.looks like your haven lots of fun. Can't wait to see more updates. The trx4 will be my first so called crawler. Any thing that's needed from the start. As far as upgrades better options? So don't have to tear it down again a week or two later?

Got it ready for a shakedown run. It comes in right around 6#4oz with body & battery. That's only 4oz more than my target weight for this build, so color me stoked.
20210905_002851.jpg
20210905_003923.jpg

It sits super narrow with these TGH wheels, so I'm not sure if it'll sidehill like I want it to, but it doesn't seem to want to tip over too easily on the bench. I don't quite get enough up travel out of the suspension to hit the fenders. I definitely got lucky with the knuckles- the front axle steering angles are sick. With the overdrive I put in it should be pretty nimble.
Oh, and the snubby revolver is f'n loud with the castle esc!
LOOKS AWESOME MAN!!!!! nice job. That's the complete TRX-4 kit correct? That's the kit I'm looking to get here soon. I can't wait to build it.looks like your haven lots of fun. Can't wait to see more updates. The trx4 will be my first so called crawler. Any thing that's needed from the start. As far as upgrades better options? So don't have to tear it down again a week or two later?
Thanks!
These things work pretty well as is, but I can't leave anything unmodified. I'm in for almost $600 on this build.

The canyon trail tires are good as is, but great with a little trimming. I think I posted something about doing that awhile back. There are many yt videos on cutting trashass tires. Don't upgrade tires for awhile.

I went with pretty Gucci wheels & tires for the TP ($200 total).

Get metal beadlocks of some kind (injoras are great for the $$). I'll be slumming injoras & canyon trails on this when I finish my gspeed build. I just can't resist running them for now, though.

I'd say the overdrive gears and brass portal covers would be the first things I'd add after beadlocks.

If you stick with a lighter body, you won't need as much brass to anchor it.

Last edited:
Yay! Trash Panda is coming along nicely! Love them electronics! Never seen a trail truck that uses an outdrive brushless motor. <3 it! I hear a lot of good things about holmes hobbies motors

Got it ready for a shakedown run. It comes in right around 6#4oz with body & battery. That's only 4oz more than my target weight for this build, so color me stoked.
View attachment 132049View attachment 132050
It sits super narrow with these TGH wheels, so I'm not sure if it'll sidehill like I want it to, but it doesn't seem to want to tip over too easily on the bench. I don't quite get enough up travel out of the suspension to hit the fenders. I definitely got lucky with the knuckles- the front axle steering angles are sick. With the overdrive I put in it should be pretty nimble.
Oh, and the snubby revolver is f'n loud with the castle esc!

Thanks!
These things work pretty well as is, but I can't leave anything unmodified. I'm in for almost $600 on this build.

The canyon trail tires are good as is, but great with a little trimming. I think I posted something about doing that awhile back. There are many yt videos on cutting trashass tires. Don't upgrade tires for awhile.

I went with pretty Gucci wheels & tires for the TP ($200 total).

Get metal beadlocks of some kind (injoras are great for the $$). I'll be slumming injoras & canyon trails on this when I finish my gspeed build. I just can't resist running them for now, though.

I'd say the overdrive gears and brass portal covers would be the first things I'd add after beadlocks.

If you stick with a lighter body, you won't need as much brass to anchor it.
She is looking great bud. Yeah I remember the lug cutting. They look like murders now rite?🤔 I was going to get the portal covers and different gears. When I pick up the kit HT has everything here. And I wasn't really feeling the big bodies anyway. That's why I was going with the build kit with a lexan. Plus I mean you get to build it😁. I love building them from scratch. I like that you went with the castle esc.. unlike everyone with the HW 1080. That's the TRX-4 sport correct? Looks awesome bud well done
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

She is looking great bud. Yeah I remember the lug cutting. They look like murders now rite?🤔 I was going to get the portal covers and different gears. When I pick up the kit HT has everything here. And I wasn't really feeling the big bodies anyway. That's why I was going with the build kit with a lexan. Plus I mean you get to build it😁. I love building them from scratch. I like that you went with the castle esc.. unlike everyone with the HW 1080. That's the TRX-4 sport correct? Looks awesome bud well done
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Yep, sport kit. I picked it up right before everyone raised their prices this summer. It went together like a lego kit, too. I'm not the biggest trashass fan out there, but they do their crawler kits right if you ask me. ❤

. I'm not the biggest trashass fan
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 omg I'm dieing...that's the BEST line and name.. I'm using that at work. THANK YOU!!!!
👍👍👍
Yea I don't like their electronics they SUCK!!!!! I'm going to pick up the 2speed. I like the option of one or the other. Like 2 for one deal..😁🤣🤪😜
I have to laugh because every time I hear its name I think of the Trash Panda Tactical mascot.
Pat comes up with some good names rite👍👍🤣🤣 I agree he banged that build out well done sir 👍👍 looks good. 🤔🤔 PAINT??

Nice build, the trx4 sport kit is one of those kits that you miss building when it’s all done. Goes together perfect, quality parts, nothing missing, everything marked, no guessing which way this or that and no typos...Good luck with it!

Looking good Pat. If I buy a 10th scaler, this is the kit I was thinking about. Can't tell if it is just the pic, but is that wheelbase a little short for that body?

Looking good Pat. If I buy a 10th scaler, this is the kit I was thinking about. Can't tell if it is just the pic, but is that wheelbase a little short for that body?
Thanks, I haven't really scrutinized it yet. It was late when I got it running...
The wheels are negative offset, so the tires stay tucked inside the fenders. That kinda makes it look shorter, I think. After I finish my lunch chimichangas I'll take a closer look at it

Thanks, I haven't really scrutinized it yet. It was late when I got it running...
The wheels are negative offset, so the tires stay tucked inside the fenders. That kinda makes it look shorter, I think. After I finish my lunch chimichangas I'll take a closer look at it
Oh, I just noticed she is sitting on the chassis, so the axles are hanging. What does it look like sitting on the tires with the body on there?

I'm not the biggest trashass fan out there, but they do their crawler kits right if you ask me. ❤
I totally agree with you! Never been a Traxxas fan, but I bought the TRX4 just because of the Defender body. I've been very impressed with the engineering and how smooth this rig runs.

Oh, I just noticed she is sitting on the chassis, so the axles are hanging. What does it look like sitting on the tires with the body on there?
She squats nicely so far. I need to see if the narrow stance will work on technical stuff. Grassy sidehills are pretty stable. In the very little I've driven her, she seems to stay planted very well.
20210905_180420.jpg
20210905_180432.jpg
20210905_180442.jpg

Once I decide what to do about bumpers I can drop the body a little more, too. It's not even close to rubbing. I'm trying to run close to full droop right now. I like to add preload as necessary on the trail. Definitely gonna be some trimming at the front and back of the body.

She squats nicely so far. I need to see if the narrow stance will work on technical stuff. Grassy sidehills are pretty stable. In the very little I've driven her, she seems to stay planted very well.
View attachment 132062View attachment 132063View attachment 132064
Once I decide what to do about bumpers I can drop the body a little more, too. It's not even close to rubbing. I'm trying to run close to full droop right now. I like to add preload as necessary on the trail. Definitely gonna be some trimming at the front and back of the body.
Yesh, there it looks perfect. Very nice!

Back