Best Radio for RC Cars

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave NY

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Don't mean to start a war here but what is considered to be the best Radio system for RC Car Racing and why? I am sure that each company says theirs is the best however we all know that real world experience really sorts this out.

Let me know your opinions please

Everybody is going to have their own version of what they like. I honestly don't think there will be a war here, "that's the beauty of this forum" ;)
I have the Spektrum DXC5 that does everything I want it to do and then some.
I also have the Flysky GT3B which is an awesome budget friendly transmitter.

I have a lot. Still prefer my gt5 and flysky noble. Noble is 8 Chan capable for crawler accessories. Gt5 is quick to adjust on the fly and light weight. Haven’t picked up any of my futabas for over a year now.

Don't mean to start a war here but what is considered to be the best Radio system for RC Car Racing and why? I am sure that each company says theirs is the best however we all know that real world experience really sorts this out.

Best is relative. What one guy recommends, another will say is junk. My personal opinion, for multiple vehicles, you can't go wrong with the FS GT3B or 3C, but, some guys around here will say the Radiolink (just dont ask Dustin, his radio is insane, and super expensive, but i can't remember which one it is) is better. For single vehicles, the Dumbo RC is my go to choice, especially since it has a built in gyro, which is very useful for 2WD stuff, and is quite a bit cheaper than the Spektrum stuff.

I'll second the FlySky GT5. Love love love it for the price point. Very user friendly, small and light weight, great range. The noble is awesome too but kinda pricey. I've all but stopped using Spektrum and Futaba stuff all together.

Flysky guy here, Gt5 is a good radio and has a nice scrolling display. For similar money the Radiolink rc6gs is pretty sweet too and has better range in my experience. On a race track the range of the gt5 is fine. If you have a ton of cars to buy receivers for the radiolink ones are a few bucks cheaper. Out of those two the gt5 feels nicer to me but I could live with either one. The Noble looks great but it’s a lot of money and I’d probably fall down and mash it...(my radios are always a filthy mess) RazorRc has some very good radio reviews on his YouTube and a lot of racing experience so maybe check his channel out.

I think the OP is asking for the best system. Without considering cost, I am going to have to say the Futaba 10PX has been one of my bucket list items for awhile. Not that I will ever have one, but man, what a sweet radio.
https://futabausa.com/product/10px/

On the budget side, the FlySky GT3 is as good as it gets. 10 model memory (can be firmware modded to handle a lot more), receivers are dirt cheap for it, and it has a lot of nice features.

Futaba's 3PV and 4PM models have a lot of cool features as well. If you ever get into rock crawling, they have the ability to control 4-wheel steering. The 4PM has a gyro, while the 3PV does not.

Last edited:
The Futaba is definitely a great looking radio and no doubt top of the line but in all honesty. for me, a $40 radio pushes a car down the track just as well as a $800 radio would.
The fascination of this hobby is keeping it budget.

The Futaba is definitely a great looking radio and no doubt top of the line but in all honesty. for me, a $40 radio pushes a car down the track just as well as a $800 radio would.
The fascination of this hobby is keeping it budget.
I think for serious racers, having telemetry and gyro, if gyro is allowed, makes the higher end radios more appealing. When I went to our local track a few years ago, the radios the guys were using were ridiculous. For the everyday basher, I'm more than happy with my GT3.

I used to have high end Futaba systems back in the day. They were all I would use. But back then, the cheap stuff wasn't what it is today with the 2.4ghz systems.

Very true but also, I'm sure they didn't pay for them.

So a noob question.. why upgrade from the stock radio? The ones that came with my trucks work just fine. These other ones have more adjustments or some thing

So a noob question.. why upgrade from the stock radio? The ones that came with my trucks work just fine. These other ones have more adjustments or some thing
I didn't. STX2 for my Yeti Jr, DX3 for the Vorteks. Not an insane racer/basher, so they work great. Only thing is that you can feel the lag in the DX3 once the battery level begins to drop in the car.

Last edited:
Yes. The Flysky GT3B can control up to 10 models (more if you update the firmware). All you have to do is buy more receivers, which are $35 for 5 of them, or around $10-$12 individually.

Stock radios don't have a very good range either, but usually, that's not much of an issue unless you race on a big track from a driver stand for example. RTR radios are generally just the cheapest thing they could supply to control your RC.

You also have better endpoint adjustability with aftermarket radios. And you can get them with more channels to control lights, winches, 4 wheel steering, etc. You can also get features like ABS, built in gyros, telemetry, etc.

Yes, but I'm talking about the sponsored big boys.
Oh yeah, that is probably true of most if not all of the stuff they run in the big sanctioned events. We don't get those kind of events here. Our local track now is just a bunch of buddies that got together and bought a piece of property and put a couple tracks on it after the hobby shop closed up. But it is a super nice place, with a 1/10 and 1/8 track either side of the driver's stand. They are talking about adding a crawler course as well.

I think the radio (best) is pretty subjective, there is no question of the quality of Futaba and Sanwa, especially their high end models. I have a couple of FlySky Gt3c radios which I used to use in my monster trucks and drag cars, but I was having range issues with them both. Wasn't much of an issue with the MT's, but the drag car was problematic. Technically (in an open field near nothing electric) the Gt3c should have plenty of range, but I ran into problems when I was drag racing in some areas. Other areas it would be ok. I read that they are succeptible to interference, so I'm thinking that was the case. For my MT's I switched to a Spectrum DX5 Rugged, and that one has a great feel and nice features - though I think the interface is rather on the archaic side. For drag racing I switched to the FlySky Noble 4, and that one has better range, and a host of very good features that are useful in drag racing. The quality and feel of that radio is far above anything else I have, and it's not a bad price at all at 200 bucks.

Word gets around about troublesome radios. Most radios today are reliable and well-built. Vehicles that are RTR ( Ready To Run ) arr sold with radios pre-installed. You only need to worry if you get into this WONDERFUL HOBBY with more than one RPV. Important parts of which radio is best should include SERVICE, SUPPORT, and AVAILABILITY. Not getting "heavy" into RC also means you do not have to worry about FLEXIBILITY / EXPANDABILITY. Only nut-jobs like me who DREMEL up their radios for direct mind control, MIDI music interfacing and autonomous/ AI operations, etc consider the actual mechanical, and wiring schematics for their radios. You probably already know that radios for airborne RPVs ( fixed wing, autogyro, heli, quadcopters, gliders, rockets, etc. ) are different from surface RPVs ( boats, submersible, UW quads ) https://www.swellpro.com/waterproof-splash-drone.html, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1503218-REG/swellpro_csp01_0001_spry_sports_drone.html. https://www.walmart.com/ip/CHASING-...9UftktcCIwtCdWbzJS9eC2Os9wfgIM3RoC53EQAvD_BwE

Part of SERVICE/SUPPORT is a hobby shop that stocks and can get parts, accessories as well. While some low price dealers have tech support, it is not the same as face-to-face HELP. Your local hobby shoppe owner ( I often see mine at a local coffee shop ) should also be very knowledgeable on all the gear they sell including radios. Years ago I used to be a HAM RADIO OPERATOR with an FCC license ( WD8ODM ). Have not been on the air in decades. Back then, there was FCC LEGAL RC gear on the 6M bands. Anyone still flying on 6M? Any modern radio manufacturers still making gear for this band? Vintage gear picked up from ooooooolde RC-ers can save you money. Be careful, though- old gear is not wired like modern stuff. For example AIRTRONICS and even FUTABA servos from WAAAAY-BACK can "fry" a modern receiver with their proprietary wiring. If you know any OLDE FAERTES ( like me for example ) ask about escapements, reeds, Gallolping-Ghosts, running on 27 and 465 MHz, etc. Lots of good yarns from the era of THE RC BIG GUFF ( 1950's ), and Nikola Tesla's RC Boat ( 1890's ). WHATEVER YOU DO HAVE FUN ! RC after all is just an attempt to fill holes in the airwaves with lots of money. If a spouse complains tell them at least it is not as bad as owning and racing a real McLaren P1 or a real F-104G ! Lastly, be aware that if you go into the air ( other than ramp high jumping a car ), you will need an FAA license and T.R.U.S.T. certification ( https://www.modelaircraft.org/ ).

Back